VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What does "free to play" here means? Why not just say "free"?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/440/

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 1 of 5, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Because it's not entirely free, like all the free-to-play games.

Sure, you can play without limits, but if you want those cool hats, or that fancy weapon... you'll need some cash.

I don't know if you can buy new maps, or mappacks.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 5, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

What does "free to play" here means? Why not just say "free"?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/440/

What "Free to play" really means is that they are using a microtransaction model. You can play for free, but you may not have access to all the features of the game or you may be locked out from certain areas or not be able to use certain items unless you buy them first. Usually games with a "Free to play" model are only fun for so long for the free players because they inevitably hit a wall beyond which they can no longer advance unless they pay to unlock new content or to buy high end items that allow them to survive more difficult challenges. By the time they hit that wall, they are usually heavily invested in terms of hours played and are more willing to pay to keep playing than they would be if they had to pay to play from day 1. Walking away from a game that you have been playing for several months because you hit an artificially imposed barrier to advancement is a difficult thing for a lot of people so instead of losing all the time they have into the game, they change their account from free to paid so they can keep playing without losing any progress.

Reply 3 of 5, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

as far as i can tell, all the content is unlocked for free, even the items that are rewards from achievements. I think they figure they will make more money selling hats (and keys) than they would from the limited player base.

I know i've spent about $75 on keys... I don't feel proud of it. But when I look back and realize I've put over 1000 hours into the game since it was released, its money well spent.

you do get a hat for having paid for the game, btw.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

and new accounts made on the free game are limited for no cosmetic drops, less backpack slots, and less trade abilities, to combat potential sweatshop farmers.

These are reduced when you purchase something from Mann Co I hear though

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 5, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well that makes sense actually...

on a side note I find it awesome how americans are generally so lazy they even will pay asians to play video games for them 🤣

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.