VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Going through my gear to identify things I don't really need and will probably never use. I found an ATI MACH64 PCI card which I've been keeping because it reminds me of the first PC that I had from new which had built-in ATI MACH64 graphics on some Asus socket 7 board. But that was long ago, meh, I don't care any more 😜.

However I notice the board has two socketed chips that say:

NPNX
NN514260J-60
9616 B09222A

Seem to recall people prise these sort of chips out to use elsewhere. What might these chips be used for? Only for similar graphics cards? I'm trying to decide whether I should keep the card just in case it might be useful to have these chips in the future.

Edit: changed "card" to "care" 🤣

Last edited by ratfink on 2011-06-29, 21:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps these parts could be used to upgrade it's VLB and ISA counterparts??

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 11, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ratfink wrote:
Going through my gear to identify things I don't really need and will probably never use. I found an ATI MACH64 PCI card which I […]
Show full quote

Going through my gear to identify things I don't really need and will probably never use. I found an ATI MACH64 PCI card which I've been keeping because it reminds me of the first PC that I had from new which had built-in ATI MACH64 graphics on some Asus socket 7 board. But that was long ago, meh, I don't card any more 😜.

NPNX
NN514260J-60
9616 B09222A

Seem to recall people prise these sort of chips out to use elsewhere. What might these chips be used for? Only for similar graphics cards? I'm trying to decide whether I should keep the card just in case it might be useful to have these chips in the future.

You don't card any more?

Shame on you, selling retro hardware to kids. So scandalous!

As for keeping it, I wish I'd kept my M64 (the funny thing is I don't remember ever tossing it either, it could be in a box in my dad's office somewhere, although that prospect isn't so good). The thing was awesome. They were hard to find on the bay a month ago when I went looking for a PCI video card too. Everyone wanted a fortune for an M64 PCI card, I had to get a Matrox Millenium 2 instead. The MilII is better, but I too had an M64 in my first computer.

Reply 3 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SavantStrike wrote:
You don't card any more? […]
Show full quote
ratfink wrote:
Going through my gear to identify things I don't really need and will probably never use. I found an ATI MACH64 PCI card which I […]
Show full quote

Going through my gear to identify things I don't really need and will probably never use. I found an ATI MACH64 PCI card which I've been keeping because it reminds me of the first PC that I had from new which had built-in ATI MACH64 graphics on some Asus socket 7 board. But that was long ago, meh, I don't card any more 😜.

NPNX
NN514260J-60
9616 B09222A

You don't card any more?

Shame on you, selling retro hardware to kids. So scandalous!

As for keeping it, I wish I'd kept my M64 (the funny thing is I don't remember ever tossing it either, it could be in a box in my dad's office somewhere, although that prospect isn't so good). The thing was awesome. They were hard to find on the bay a month ago when I went looking for a PCI video card too. Everyone wanted a fortune for an M64 PCI card, I had to get a Matrox Millenium 2 instead. The MilII is better, but I too had an M64 in my first computer.

I thought the M64 had a crippled (64-bit) memory controller compared to the rest of the TNT2 line (128-bit). That doesn't sound too awesome to me.

Reply 4 of 11, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought the M64 had a crippled (64-bit) memory controller compared to the rest of the TNT2 line (128-bit). That doesn't sound too awesome to me.

In case you missed the thread title, and the entirety of the first post, which was even quoted in SavantStrike's post, the discussion has been focusing around the Mach64. So it'd be a safe assumption that "M64" is being used as an abbreviation for "Mach64" and is completely unrelated to the TNT2 M64 (which did suck).

Reply 5 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

In case you missed the thread title, and the entirety of the first post, which was even quoted in SavantStrike's post, the discussion has been focusing around the Mach64. So it'd be a safe assumption that "M64" is being used as an abbreviation for "Mach64" and is completely unrelated to the TNT2 M64 (which did suck).

Well, he should have spelled it out then because M64 is most often used to refer to the TNT2 M64 and NOT the ATi Mach64. I have never once seen Mach64 abbreviated M64. A Google search of M64+video+card turns up nothing but references to the TNT2.

Reply 6 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SavantStrike wrote:

Everyone wanted a fortune for an M64 PCI card, I had to get a Matrox Millenium 2 instead. The MilII is better, but I too had an M64 in my first computer.

Weird...Mach64 PCI isn't exactly "teh card to own", it's the VLB and ISA ones that are interesting.
But perhaps even those crappy PCI cards everyone used to have bucketloads of 5 years back are starting to run out??

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
SavantStrike wrote:

Everyone wanted a fortune for an M64 PCI card, I had to get a Matrox Millenium 2 instead. The MilII is better, but I too had an M64 in my first computer.

Weird...Mach64 PCI isn't exactly "teh card to own", it's the VLB and ISA ones that are interesting.
But perhaps even those crappy PCI cards everyone used to have bucketloads of 5 years back are starting to run out??

Yes, the VLB and ISA ones are harder to find and cost more because I think they were among the last, if not THE last chipset for those buses. Most people were already in the process of migrating to PCI motherboards and video cards so the latecomers to ISA and VLB didn't sell well in those slots but since they were also among the earliest PCI cards, they sold well on that bus. I had a hell of a time finding the two Mach64 ISA cards I have for a reasonable price. Prices seem to be in a slump right now for the ISA cards compared to when I was shopping for them a few years ago but the VL Bus ones still sell for high prices on the rare times that they do show up.

Reply 8 of 11, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Prices seem to be in a slump right now for the ISA cards compared to when I was shopping for them a few years ago but the VL Bus ones still sell for high prices on the rare times that they do show up.

Speaking of which, I ran across a VLB M64 on eBay, which has a good chance of going cheap because the title and description are... not at all descriptive. I don't think I'll bid on it since I don't need it, but it may be of interest to others.

Reply 9 of 11, by Lennart

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Perhaps it can be used to upgrade the memory of a Gravis Ultrasound MAX from 512kb to 1mb? I used a socketed memory chip from a simple PCI graphics card to upgrade mine.

Reply 10 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doh, I just found out TS was talking about the memory chips! 😁
Yes, you could possibly use those to upgrade other cards with. Main thing is that there might be different chips out there that aren't compatible, though I don't know the fine stuff about that.

Dunno what type of memory chips you have though (the part numbers weren't mentioned in chipmunk).

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 11, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lennart wrote:

Perhaps it can be used to upgrade the memory of a Gravis Ultrasound MAX from 512kb to 1mb? I used a socketed memory chip from a simple PCI graphics card to upgrade mine.

Thanks, I've got a 512kb max, I'll see if it looks possible.