VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just would like to start a series on Legitimate Dos Games Remakes.

And since this is the first part of the series, I would like to share what this is about...

By "legitimate" I mean :

1. Strictly NO abandonware discussions. Please do not start or bring up the gray-area topics here.

2. This is regarding those games that have been improved by adding enhancements or using the original game data files in their entirety and "channeling" these files through the enhanced modules to bring about an enhanced or improved look with additional options like mouselook, high res support, windows ports, etc.

3. These programs are created by enthusiasts and by those who really love these games, and they wanted to bring out an enhanced edition, so to speak, to the dos gaming community.

4. Any discrepancies or anything you find abusive or prohibitive, please PM me first instead of smearing the thread which will remove away the focus and charms of a thread. I will forward anything that I can't decide myself, that is disagreed upon, directly to the moderators via PM, to seek any solutions.

5. Again, please no abandonware or "this is right and this wrong" discussions here.

Please avoid hosting any files here. Link them to an upload site or to the original developer's site. And please, NO "torents". (Yes, torrent may have good and legal stuff, but again this is a gray area. And fighting for the legality of torrents is like saying a woman who stays in a brothel as a maid, or even someone who frequents to a brothel, and claiming she's a virgin, and don't work for them. She may be right and honest about it, but that's not what we want to discuss about. So, please don't allow torrents.)

This is a kind of labour of love to see our favourite games of yesteryears being alive again.

I will see how this thread goes, to see if I can continue with this "series".

Any suggestions on improvents and any corrections are always welcome.

The recent events in the Sound Blaster ISA collection thread prompted me to display these words, so as not to lose our focus on a thread.

So, with all the mumbo-jumbo out of the way, shall we get into our topic? 😁

What I'm gonna post are all those that remain my favourites. Others may contribute in too, of what they like. This may not contain all the remakes ever created - just some of my selections for my favourite games.

Dune II - The Building of A Dynasty

Remake Engines :

Dune Legacy

Website

Differences between Dune II and Dune Legacy :

Development/Differences D2/DL […]
Show full quote

Development/Differences D2/DL

This page contains all the known differences between Dune II and Dune Legacy. It documents what is different and if there is a reason. If you notice any difference, add it here. But first make sure it is neither a Feature Request nor a Bug.

Combined Troopers/Soldiers
Dune Legacy has no combined Troopers or Infantry units but only single Soldiers and Troopers.

Comment: The units are more in the style of C&C where you can decide yourself which infantry units you group on one cell (up to 5).

Unit/Building interaction
The controls are quite different compared to Dune II.

Comment: Dune II was one of the first (if not the first) Real-Time Strategy game. Later RTS games created a somewhat standard how a rts game is controlled (e.g. right-clicking for orders) but Dune II differs because it is older. Dune Legacy uses the standard rts controlling for unit orders. Building interaction differs much more between the different RTS games: C&C like games have a global building concept (a global building menu) whereas building options in Starcraft are presented by building (you have to select the building before you can start building a unit/structure). Dune Legacy uses the later.

Screenshots:

Dunelegacy-0.96-mission9.png

Dunelegacy-0.96-mission9-2.png

Requirements:

You need the following files from original Dune II in order to play Dune Legacy: […]
Show full quote

You need the following files from original Dune II in order to play Dune Legacy:

ATRE.PAK
DUNE.PAK
ENGLISH.PAK
FINALE.PAK
HARK.PAK
INTRO.PAK
INTROVOC.PAK
MENTAT.PAK
MERC.PAK
ORDOS.PAK
SCENARIO.PAK
SOUND.PAK
VOC.PAK
GERMAN.PAK (only for playing in german)
FRENCH.PAK (only for playing in french)

Downloads: Sourceforge

Other engine remakes that you may be interested :

Dune II - The Maker

Last edited by Malik on 2011-07-02, 14:18. Edited 1 time in total.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 2 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it comes with a database editor...😁 😁 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 11, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

The Golden Path btw bundles converted Dune 2 data, so it may not be wise to link to it here.

I've deleted the link. Thanks, leileilol!

Reply 4 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No problem. It's unfortunate that it's the most stable and playable of the 3 remakes mentioned. However the AI is a bit ruthless, even in cooperative it'll try to hog your possible building spots.

Dune Legacy is cool, but there's some very nasty bugs in it - you could sell your buildings under construction for more cash, repeatedly.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd rather play the Civilization or Zelda remakes

http://www.freeciv.net/

http://www.zeldaclassic.com/downloads.php (There's a DOS version!)

I just found out the download links for the latest Zelda are broken. Go here and use mirrors 2 or 3.

http://www.brothersoft.com/games/zelda-classic-download.html

Reply 7 of 11, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Heh, in the original Dune II, if there is a continuity of the solid ground up to the enemy territory from the home base, or in later missions, I move the MCV (Mobile Construction Vehicle) to the edge of a solid ground nearby the enemy base, and start creating single slabs and continue placing one by one until I reach deep into the enemy stronghold. Then I just keep placing turrets on the slabs surrounding the enemy territory, and later, I bring in reinforcements in the form of tanks and infantry on standby near behind the turrets. The infantry will be in standby to capture structures, once the damage level reaches red.

It brings a deep satisfaction when you strike "deep into the heart of enemy territory"...hehehe...

leileilol wrote:

...but there's some very nasty bugs in it - you could sell your buildings under construction for more cash, repeatedly.

Hmmm...yeah, that might take away the fun and tension in the game. Gotta check if the developers are in the process of addressing it..

Reply 8 of 11, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nothing beats original dune 2 since you need special skill to command many units one-by-one 😀

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 10 of 11, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

only in the last two levels 😁

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 11 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wd wrote:

Nah you need special save/load skills so the missile does no damage...

That gets tedious after a while, saving after every turn then reloading from the save point and making different choices if the next turn goes badly. It's also a pretty cheesy way to beat a game. Imagine if this was allowed in poker. You get to keep discarding and drawing cards until you get the winning hand while everyone else at the table has to play by the rules. That would go over well with the other players. Not!