VOGONS

Common searches

Where i can find HeXen II: Continent of Blackmarsh?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Where i can find HeXen II: Continent of Blackmarsh?

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 2 of 42, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is this what you guys are looking for?

I can make an ISO but I'm not sure about the legal issue of that. Since this is a demo of the game, would it be illegal to post here?

I believe this came with one of my Matrox M3d cards back in the day. The disk is labeled m3d_2

dsc0322ti.jpg

Reply 4 of 42, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know that, that's why I'm asking.
According to Wikipedia and Raven web site, the source code for Hexen 2 was released as freeware by the developer in 2000. That's why I'm not sure if it changes things. Besides the demo of Hexen 2 is available as free download on numerous sites. Since this is also a demo of the game (with PowerVR patch you may say) is it illegal to make it available for download?

Last edited by Jan3Sobieski on 2011-07-04, 03:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 42, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Of course, you could probably make an xdelta patch that applies to the stock full version of the game as a downgrade patch for legit owners. "Blackmarsh" is a special OEM demo.

Sorry leileilol but that is beyond my programming capabilities. Unless I had step by step instructions (which is doubtful) I wouldn't be able to do that.

Well, I guess it is what it is. Sorry guys!

Reply 8 of 42, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
batracio wrote:

It's Matrox, Raven Software, id Software and Activision whom you should ask permission to distribute those files, not this site. Just drop them an email. It won't do any harm.

I seriously doubt that anyone currently working for those companies knows anything about it. He probably won't even get an answer back from any of them.

Reply 10 of 42, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:

I seriously doubt that anyone currently working for those companies knows anything about it. He probably won't even get an answer back from any of them.

It doesn't matter who's working for those companies these days. They still are the copyright holders of the game. By the way, both Brian and Steve Raffel, founders of Raven Software and creators of the Heretic and Hexen titles, were involved in the company up until last year when Steve retired, but I think Brian still is Raven Software's CEO. I'm sure he must know something about this.

Reply 11 of 42, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wd wrote:

And "just posting stuff because there was no answer" doesn't make it legal.

Who said anything about posting it anyway? I must have missed the post I made to this thread that said "Go ahead and post it even though it's probably illegal." I think my posts on the subject of abandonware in other threads speak for themselves. I'm just saying this demo is so old that the companies involved probably don't even have any information that they could share even if they wanted to. Do you really think anybody is actually going to take the time to look into it, especially if they're not getting paid to do it? Plus that completely overlooks the fact that most companies outsource their customer service jobs now so it is most likely that your query will end up on the desk of some Indian or Chinese guy who is getting paid $3 a day, and goes by the name of 'Brandon' or 'Carl' to make it look like they aren't a third world peasant, and who wouldn't even have access to that information if the company did keep records that old. Customer service people work from a script of common problems and solutions and if your problem isn't in the script, there's usually not much they can do for you.

Last edited by sliderider on 2011-07-02, 21:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 42, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Who said anything about posting it anyway?

Where did I say somebody said that?

Do you really think anybody is actually going to take the time to look into it, especially if they're not getting paid to do it?

I don't know and I don't care. If such information can't provide I assume it's still under somebody's copyright.

Reply 13 of 42, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wd wrote:
Where did I say somebody said that? […]
Show full quote

Who said anything about posting it anyway?

Where did I say somebody said that?

Do you really think anybody is actually going to take the time to look into it, especially if they're not getting paid to do it?

I don't know and I don't care. If such information can't provide I assume it's still under somebody's copyright.

You said it when you posted this under my previous post.

"And "just posting stuff because there was no answer" doesn't make it legal."

It sure sounds to me like you were putting words in my mouth.

Reply 14 of 42, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't bother arguing about 'abandonware' legality. You can't get a defense force, especially here. Historically, the harder people argued for abandonware, the sooner the reasoning became futile and delved into personal remarks.

Don't forget this really cool footer at the bottom of the page.

This isn't just any demo, it's a special OEM demo with more levels than the publically released H2 demo. Plus, it's on its own CD so there's probably CD audio and an intro to it too.

apsosig.png
long live PCem