Common searches

Bill gates windows 95 doom advert.

Topic actions

First post, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, I was watching This one line and I was kinda annoyed by it, dd they think ms-dos users were stupid?

Reply 1 of 29, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They just needed people to move to Windows 95. That's what companies do. And in the end, Windows 95 turned out to be a great OS, so I'd give Microsoft more praise than criticism for adds like this.

Also, the part where he says "Don't interrupt me" and shoots the Zombie Soldier with the shotgun always cracks me up 😀

Reply 2 of 29, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apparently it's impossible for Bill Gates to switch to a drive and type install. Though he probably had people to do that menial stuff for him. Maybe they just told him it was difficult in order to get a pay increase.

Odd that it's normally the Windows 95/98 games that I have trouble getting to run correctly.

Reply 4 of 29, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hehe, I have an MPG of that video stored on my hard drive somewhere.

I always thought that advert was a complete joke. Talking about how much _faster_ that DOS games would run under WinDoZe 95 than under native DOS.

BAH! Do some framerate tests, Billy G... *I* did!

F2bnp wrote:

And in the end, Windows 95 turned out to be a great OS

Err... rather a "GUI menu system". That's one thing that always irked me about W95... hey... let's make a fancy looking menu system, call it an "OS", and then make games that ONLY run under that "menu system" <ugh>.

dosquest wrote:

I myself have a windows 95 computer along with a windows 98se computer.

I myself TOTALLY skipped the W95 "thang". I always thought that Windows 95/Build B was a mess, and still never really thought that they got it "right" with the first incarnation of Windows 98.

I went straight from Windows 3.11WFWG to Windows 98SE, (W98SE I had been running up until 2 years ago), and straight from W98SE to Windows XP Pro SP3 (which I'm running on my current PC).

Heh, totaly skipped Windows 2000, Windows Me, Windows F$%^ Me, and the like <grin>.

Heh with my OS "track record", I figure my next upgrade will be Windows "9" 🤣!

Last edited by rfnagel on 2011-07-06, 20:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 5 of 29, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dosquest wrote:

dd they think ms-dos users were stupid?

You skipped 1995, son. 1995 was the year of the rampant "IS DOS DEAD?!?!!?" doomsaying, and all this hype of "OMG U CAN PLAY DOS GAMES IN A WINDOW!" (albeit it's a low framerate'd window that doesn't always work with everything...)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:
dosquest wrote:

dd they think ms-dos users were stupid?

You skipped 1995, son. 1995 was the year of the rampant "IS DOS DEAD?!?!!?" doomsaying, and all this hype of "OMG U CAN PLAY DOS GAMES IN A WINDOW!" (albeit it's a low framerate'd window that doesn't always work with everything...)

But you didn't answer the question. IS DOS dead? 😁

Reply 7 of 29, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

1995 was the year of the rampant "IS DOS DEAD?!?!!?" doomsaying

Gawd, do I ever remember all of the discussion and arguments on that topic way back when <grin>.

leileilol wrote:

and all this hype of "OMG U CAN PLAY DOS GAMES IN A WINDOW!"

I swear, in the above-said discussions, I've read that exact thing. Heh, and my replies, yeah... I've ALWAYS wanted to play a DOS game in a stupid little freakin' window where I can't see a damn thing 🤣!

Of course, old Billy G. LOVES things in a window, as well as his menu bar at the top of EVERYTHING that Mickey$oft has ever released... if he had his way, we'ld all be walking around with "File | View | Edit | Help" tattooed to our foreheads 🤣!

[random rambling thought]

Oh but wait... WinDoZe 95 has this "Recycling Bin" thing! <grin>

Last edited by rfnagel on 2011-07-06, 20:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 8 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rfnagel wrote:

if he had his way, we'ld all have "File / Edit / View / Help" tattooed to our foreheads 🤣!

I thought it would be CTL-ALT-DLT.

Either that or "Windows has encountered an error and must shut down."

Reply 9 of 29, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

I thought it would be CTL-ALT-DLT.

See attached pic 🤣! 😀

Attachments

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 13 of 29, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 95 was hyped to no end back in the day (I can remember even though I didn't even have a computer in those days!). After having used 95 on a couple rigs (one of my own and a couple others) I have to say that the only thing I like about 95 is it's GUI. For the rest it's quite a mess.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 29, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I still think W95 wasn't a bad OS for the time. Microsoft really needed to get a GUI based OS, Apple had one years ago and so did other machines such as the Amiga (although almost dead by that point in time). Up until Windows 95, Windows was pretty much a frontend for DOS. Windows 95 was still heavily based around DOS (and so was 98 and ME), but not nearly as much.

Don't get me wrong, I'd hate to ever use Win9x for anything else other than my Retro gaming needs. PCs back then were a pain, blue screens all over the place, lockups for no apparent reason...
Windows 95 though was a step towards a good direction. Windows NT was an even bigger step and a truly great OS at the time, shame it didn't get the support it deserved. Windows 2000, its successor, made people realize how unstable and generally, what a piece of shit Win9x was compared to the NT based Windows. 🤣

Reply 16 of 29, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember when W95 came out. I hung onto MS-DOS for as long as I could.

DOS was rock solid. Or lets put it this way, the stabilty lied 100% with the application. W95 was also very resource hungry when it came out.

DOS Games ran flawless, but W95 reduced performance with all these APIs.

But when W98 came out and most games used DirectX or Glide under Windows, things started to change for me.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 17 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

I still think W95 wasn't a bad OS for the time. Microsoft really needed to get a GUI based OS, Apple had one years ago and so did other machines such as the Amiga (although almost dead by that point in time). Up until Windows 95, Windows was pretty much a frontend for DOS. Windows 95 was still heavily based around DOS (and so was 98 and ME), but not nearly as much.

Don't get me wrong, I'd hate to ever use Win9x for anything else other than my Retro gaming needs. PCs back then were a pain, blue screens all over the place, lockups for no apparent reason...
Windows 95 though was a step towards a good direction. Windows NT was an even bigger step and a truly great OS at the time, shame it didn't get the support it deserved. Windows 2000, its successor, made people realize how unstable and generally, what a piece of shit Win9x was compared to the NT based Windows. 🤣

Windows NT would have been a bad choice for a gaming rig because they cut all the DirectX support out of it after about DirectX 3.

Reply 18 of 29, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Windows NT would have been a bad choice for a gaming rig because they cut all the DirectX support out of it after about DirectX 3.

Yeah, nevermind that huge NTVDM roadblock.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 19 of 29, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rfnagel wrote:
Hehe, I have an MPG of that video stored on my hard drive somewhere. […]
Show full quote

Hehe, I have an MPG of that video stored on my hard drive somewhere.

I always thought that advert was a complete joke. Talking about how much _faster_ that DOS games would run under WinDoZe 95 than under native DOS.

BAH! Do some framerate tests, Billy G... *I* did!

F2bnp wrote:

And in the end, Windows 95 turned out to be a great OS

Err... rather a "GUI menu system". That's one thing that always irked me about W95... hey... let's make a fancy looking menu system, call it an "OS", and then make games that ONLY run under that "menu system" <ugh>.

dosquest wrote:

I myself have a windows 95 computer along with a windows 98se computer.

I myself TOTALLY skipped the W95 "thang". I always thought that Windows 95/Build B was a mess, and still never really thought that they got it "right" with the first incarnation of Windows 98.

I went straight from Windows 3.11WFWG to Windows 98SE, (W98SE I had been running up until 2 years ago), and straight from W98SE to Windows XP Pro SP3 (which I'm running on my current PC).

Heh, totaly skipped Windows 2000, Windows Me, Windows F$%^ Me, and the like <grin>.

Heh with my OS "track record", I figure my next upgrade will be Windows "9" 🤣!

In the long run the games did work out much better on windows 95 so is's actually a good thing that so many people bought into the hype.

My uncle actually explained it to me as this: Windows 95"a" = "almost a good idea", Windows 95"b" = "BAD. Do not install!", and Windows 95"c" = "coulda been better". Don't get me wrong, I actually like windows 95, but for some reason every time I build a retro system I always seem to end up ditching 95 in the long run for 98 (my favorite all time vintage OS) or even good ol' fashion' DOS.

I've always felt that windows 95 was more of an OS than all previous versions. But with Windows 98SE so readily available... what's really the point in installing 95 at this point? Maybe just to enjoy the nostalgia (I have a feeling that most people here understand that concept).

EDIT: What I mean by the games working out better on 95 was that if not for the integration of directx, we wouldn't have what we have today. Also I agree that win NT is a poor choice for a retro gaming OS... I've always been confused as to why so many people are trying to make retro systems with it now. 😖