VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.replacementdocs.com/
It appears the domain has expired. Anyone know more about this?

Reply 2 of 14, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@DosFreak. And 5 years later you would still only have 1% of the manuals replacementdocs had! Much better that the original Replacementdocs get back online!

Reply 3 of 14, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You do realize that game manuals are covered under copyright laws just like the games they go with, right? Blockbuster video got sued years ago by Nintendo for making copies of the game manuals when the originals would get lost or damaged and Nintendo won. A site distributing old manuals is just as bad as any abandonware site and probably shouldn't be discussed here.

Reply 4 of 14, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sliderider wrote:

You do realize that game manuals are covered under copyright laws just like the games they go with, right? Blockbuster video got sued years ago by Nintendo for making copies of the game manuals when the originals would get lost or damaged and Nintendo won. A site distributing old manuals is just as bad as any abandonware site and probably shouldn't be discussed here.

Replacementdocs was on good terms with most of the publishers, because when a publisher asked for manuals to be pulled replacementdocs always pulled them. Many companies are pro the replacementdocs service and individual designers have made manuals, etc of their old games available to replacementdocs.

It is not a fly-by-night shady company, and has been allowed to exist by the pro-active supporters of it within the games industry.

Reply 6 of 14, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hope it'll get back online soon. Nice complementary site for retro gamers.

Edit : After I got to know replacement docs, I started printing out the manuals for the games that I have, and keep the original manuals safe, while I use the "backup" copy. These original manuals are too precious for me. Especially those manuals and add-on extra manuals that came with those boxed Dos games.

I also print out the maps which come with the original documentation, from replacement docs. I used to write down my notes on the maps, tag my own notes on them, while preserving the original copy safely in it's box.

I do actually open up a game box and read the original manuals and extras at bedtime. For rough, daily or while gaming a particular game at hand, I prefer to use the "back-up" copy.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 7 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://replacementdocs.com/news.php

Wow, those hackers have been busy these past few weeks. I kept removing the malware and they kept putting it back because I didn't have the time to really fix the vulnerability that allowed them to put the malware on the site in the first place.

So, I just had to sit down and really take the time to fix it right. It took most of the day, but it's done. And I'm pretty sure that will mark the end of the hacking and malware.

I gave everything a good once over to make sure the key features are still operational, but as always, if you notice anything weird, let me know. Thanks!

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DosFreak: That was posted a month or so ago, but the domain name expiring was a newer development.

My work's firewall has flagged replacementdocs as a malicious site 🙁

Was able to view the site on my smartphone though, so it seems to be back up.

Reply 12 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never even heard of the place. I might as well go take a look 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 14, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its a great site, sadly the days when devs actually put effort into their game manuals are long gone.
There's nothing quite like getting a big-box game with a hundred page manual, full of stories, pictures and background info - not just instructions for playing the game 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 14 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:

Its a great site, sadly the days when devs actually put effort into their game manuals are long gone.
There's nothing quite like getting a big-box game with a hundred page manual, full of stories, pictures and background info - not just instructions for playing the game 😀

Exactly my thought!

Today the only thing you get on paper is the activation code on a little sticker and a cheap-ass DVD box with a manual in a PDF -_-

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!