VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First of all, it took 'em over a WEEK to initially respond to my tech support ticket.

And then, brief snippets from the messages:

Support Ticket Subject: Problems with DoD (non-source) game after Steam Client update
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Message by RichNagel on Wed, 13th Jul 2011 4:26 am

I have only one Steam game that I've been playing for about a month now, "Day of Defeat", the non-source version. After the recent Steam Client update, I'm having a strange performance problem with the game.

---snip---
(*lots* of detailed info on the problem)
---snip---

Anyhow, I'm *sure* that the problem is due to the recent (July 12) Steam Client update.
---snip---

I have my entire Steam directory backed up/copied to a DVD (the previous version that I originally installed back in the beginning of June). I deleted my entire Steam directory, copied everything back to my hard drive from the backup DVD, and everything is fine... that is, until Steam autoupdates itself (which happens fairly quickly).

Seems that my framerate within the games isn't quite as good as it was either... little "hiccups" during gameplay.

And lastly, seems that when the problem is not happening, the DoD executable ("HL.exe") is using about 59% of my PC's system resources. When the problem is happening (run game; start a new game, disconnect back to the game's main menu), the DoD executable is using 100% system resources.

Like I posted above, it doesn't happen before the Steam Client update.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Message by RichNagel on Wed, 20th Jul 2011 10:48 pm

Hello???
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Message by Support Tech on Thu, 21st Jul 2011 2:40 pm

Please try the following:

Exit Steam entirely.

Browse to your Steam installation (Usually C:\Program Files\Steam\). Rename the "steamapps" folder to "old_steamapps"

Re-launch Steam and re-install the game. Once the installation is complete, test the issue.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Message by RichNagel on Thu, 21st Jul 2011 5:15 pm

Unfortunately, that didn't help. It's still exhibitng the same problem/lag in the main menu of the game, as the game in question ALREADY has *ALL* current updates applied... the actual game hasn't been updated in *YEARS*.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Message by Support Tech on Fri, 22nd Jul 2011 1:10 pm

Please try new Steam updates as they are released to see if one of them resolves the problem. If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Message by RichNagel on Sat, 23rd Jul 2011 12:01 pm

I *WAS* using the latest update. Per my first message, the July 12 Steam Client update.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

In other words, "hopefully a future Steam Client update *might* just fix the problem, but then again, MAYBE NOT... guess your're SOL". AARRGGHH!!!

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 1 of 26, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That sucks. Couldn't you just copy a vanilla non-steam half-life exe into the folder to play the game without Steam? Or it could possibly be the overlay, which you can disable per-game by going into the preferences of the game and disabling in game overlay.

On Call of Duty 4 you have to disable the steam overlay or else PunkBuster kicks you from servers, however when you buy the game from Steam there is no mention of this whatsoever 😒

Reply 2 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can make the game standalone not sure how that works when it's multiplayer but I do remember seeing details on how to make standalone steam games multiplayer as well so it can be done.

If you want to actually get it fixed then you should spread the news to as many websites as possibile and try to get as much publicity as you can.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 26, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try 32-bit color, OpenGL.

The Direct3d renderer in Goldsrc while more featured (OVERBRIGHTS!) it is flawed.

I don't think publicity of this thread is a good idea - Vogons won't see the end of valve fanboys calling you out.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 26, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RichB93 wrote:

Couldn't you just copy a vanilla non-steam half-life exe into the folder to play the game without Steam?

I don't have it. Never had Half-Life or the retail DoD, and for that matter never had Steam installed before.

Back in early June I first installed Steam, and bought the Steam version of DoD so's I could get my arse kicked by my buddies <grin>.

RichB93 wrote:

Or it could possibly be the overlay, which you can disable per-game by going into the preferences of the game and disabling in game overlay.

Yeah, I already tried that. That was part of my "---snip(s)---" (prolly should have copied 'n' pasted those as well).

That was the first thing that I was thinking (and tried out), maybe the in-game overlay was causing the problem, but it appears that's not the culprit.

DosFreak wrote:

You can make the game standalone not sure how that works when it's multiplayer but I do remember seeing details on how to make standalone steam games multiplayer as well so it can be done.

I'm really new to all of this Steam stuff, but AFAIK the only way to play DoD online is via Steam.

AFAIK, even if you have the retail CD-ROM of Half-Life, and the free DoD addon download, you STILL have to install Steam and the Steam versions of the game and addon (something about "authenticating" your retail CD-ROM, which then allows you to download the Steam versions for free).

leileilol wrote:

Try 32-bit color, OpenGL. The Direct3d renderer in Goldsrc while more featured (OVERBRIGHTS!) it is flawed.

Yep, already tried that. Heh, the only renderer that didn't have the problem was the software renderer <uuuccckkk>.

@All, I did find a temporary solution though (copy 'n' pastes from my message thread over in the Steam forums... where I seem to be doing a lot of 'talking to myself' 🤣):

RichNagel wrote:
A slight update (workaround): […]
Show full quote

A slight update (workaround):

Like I posted previously, I had my entire Steam directory (as well as the pertinent registry entries) backup up to a DVD. I first deleted my entire Steam directory and deleted the registry entries), and then copied the whole schmear over to my hard drive from the backup DVD (as well as importing the Windows registry files that I had previously exported and copied to the DVD).

After a lot of Googling, I found some info elsewhere on the Internet that stated that you could create a file with the filename of "Steam.cfg", dump it into your main Steam directory on your hard drive, and then add the following single line to it:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
BootStrapperInhibitAll=enable
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

... to disable the Steam Client from automatically updating itself to the new version.

Yep, that did it!

Things are now running as good as they were before the latest Steam Client update (July 12, 2011), and as far as I can tell, everything seems to work just fine with the older (June, 2011) Steam Client.

Anyhow, it's a temporary solution until I get a reply from Steam's support guys, and so far, it works perfectly

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 7 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have stuck to using the Steam backup tool. It's not as fast as copying the whole folder, but so far it has never let me down.

Have you tried copying your folder back and using the Steam backup utility and then restoring from that?

I have individual backups for each game. A bit tedious at times, but not a big deal. Once the backup is done you can always move the files / folders somewhere else.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 26, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

Hilarious, but sadly, true 🤣!

RichB93 wrote:

Good to see that you found a workaround to hold you over until Steam is fixed.

Yep yep. 'Twas driving me nutz too... that DoD is extremely addictive!

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I have stuck to using the Steam backup tool. It's not as fast as copying the whole folder, but so far it has never let me down. Have you tried copying your folder back and using the Steam backup utility and then restoring from that?

AFAIK, the Steam backup tool simply creates an installer of sorts of a fresh install of any given game... it doesn't restore your initial/original Steam Client install, only the game(s) itself.

Anyhow, the CFG entry that I mentioned previously worked fine... it prevents Steam from automatically updating itself. Luckily I'm extremely 'retentive'... as, if I hadn't previously backed up the whole schmear to a DVD, I couldn't have reverted back to the older version of the Steam Client (the June 1st version).

Anyhow, I HATE STEAM!

Let's take an old game... let's say, something that would run on a 233MMX back in the day; and now let's "Steamify" it (oh... don't forget to throw in a bunch of annoying advertisment windows that pop up after exiting the game, prompting you to buy MORE games from Steam).

*NOW*, you need an Internet connection (even if the game is only single-player, and doesn't support multi-player at all), and a quad-core 4GHZ CPU to run it on <aarrgghh>.

I mean lard-a-mighty... they even sell a 'Steamed' version of DOOM for DOS that includes (a cobbled-up version, I'm sure) of DOSBox.

NO, THANKS! I'll stick with my 4 disk floppy-based version... that doesn't require 'authentication', or the additional system resources of the 'Steam [Auto-Advertisement] Client' running; and runs under (release version) DOSBox on my old(er) PC just fine! 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 9 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm yea if things don't work with online companies, it can be a bit of a runaround.

Although I have always known about Steam I really only "discovered" it in Xmas 2009 during one of their xmas sales. I can remember that I checked retailer after retailer for cheap PC games. They had nothing. Just the usual top 20 for ~ AUD 100.

Then I saw Steam and they had games like Bioshock, Stalker and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory for under 10 bucks each.

Apart from other online gaming sites, I simply don't have an alternative. Australia simply SUCKS for retail PC gaming. It's basically highway robbery.

Steam also has higher prices for Australia, but if you only buy during specials and are able to wait until games go under AUD 10, then it's fantastic...

Others order games from the UK, but then you wait ~ 2 weeks. And not having discs is really something I enjoy and so is the auto patch feature...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 26, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rfnagel wrote:

(oh... don't forget to throw in a bunch of annoying advertisment windows that pop up after exiting the game, prompting you to buy MORE games from Steam).

You can turn that off, then it only pops up on some games' demo versions.

Also, the gift system rules.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 26, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

And not having discs is really something I enjoy

That's one thing that we differ on... I *LOVE* DISKS (and hard-copy manuals, and such) <grin> 😀 (top-right, back when I lived in Miami http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/weeds_computer_room_1.jpg 🤣!)

leileilol wrote:

You can turn that off, then it only pops up on some games' demo versions.

A MILLION THANKS for that info! 😀 I didn't know that before.

leileilol wrote:

(forgive the newbie Q.) How does that work?

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 12 of 26, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rfnagel wrote:
leileilol wrote:

(forgive the newbie Q.) How does that work?

Simple, friend another Steam user and then check out a game or two you would like to have, add it to your wishlist.

I currently still have 13 on mine, but I they disappear when either you purchase said title or somebody else purchases the game and gifts it to you 😀

I gift games to my father quite a bit, especially when they are on specials.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 14 of 26, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is why you look around for cracks that break Steam dependency. So many games now require you be subscribed to Steam or some other service just to install them and that you need an active internet connection at all times to play, even in offline mode, it's just ridiculous. What happens to someone who is still on dial up who wants to play a game? They have to log in to their ISP first or the game won't load? That's just stupid.

Reply 15 of 26, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

God, this is the thread of whiners.

"Why do they sell games on floppies only nowadays? It used to be so much more fun reading them from punch cards. You've had a solid copy that lasted for ages. Every game had to be stored in a large packing case, and I loved stacking up those cases in my living room - actually, in the large warehouse I had to build just to store all my games and other programs - and looking at them. Those floppies just aren't the same anymore, there is no more fun in gaming. PC gaming is dead."
(Gamer, ca. 1980)

Ever heard about "progress"? Modern games can only be played when you're online, live with it (or crack it, which is easy enough). No amount of whining and whimpering will change that. Don't forget that for the average end user, this "forced online" thing has quite a number of benefits, for instance auto-patching. The main advantage is on the side of companies like Valve of course, who are (finally!) able to track what you're playing for how long, for example. Valve is thriving, so they're obviously doing something right.

Tech support: if you've ever worked "in the field" you'd know that tech support people are flooded by stupid question from stupid users, all the time. I estimate that in 75% of all cases the problem will just go away on its own if you wait it out. A very, very large percentage of computer related problems falls in the category of PEBKAC, and can't be solved via the phone at all anyway. So if you're a normal end user, you'll have to wait. Also, don't think the first line of support is run by real professionals. These guys are badly paid, young people, and their motivation is on the level of their salary. There are ways of getting at the "support pros" (more or less) immediately, but I won't tell (; . I don't even want to think about the sheer number of possible computer configs when you're looking at gaming PCs, let alone stupid people trying to overclock and "tweak" their systems.

Btw, I've worked in PC first-level-support (telephone) for a short time only, I was mostly working at customers PCs (much more fun, and interesting). Nowadays I charge a small fortune per hour for doing PC service, so stupid users (who accept my rates!) are most welcome (; .

Last edited by ADDiCT on 2011-07-24, 13:52. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 16 of 26, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Whining increases these days it seems.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 17 of 26, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

nice strawman you've built yourself there, ADDiCT, well done. *Golf clap*

evidently, everyone who has problems with Steam is just being a superficial, irrational, whining luddite, rather than - you know - trying to solve an actual problem and point out inherent flaws.
If the only alternatives are being either a "whiner" or a jaded defeatist, then it's kind of a no-win situation, isn't it?

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 18 of 26, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ADDiCT wrote:
God, this is the thread of whiners. […]
Show full quote

God, this is the thread of whiners.

"Why do they sell games on floppies only nowadays? It used to be so much more fun reading them from punch cards. You've had a solid copy that lasted for ages. Every game had to be stored in a large packing case, and I loved stacking up those cases in my living room - actually, in the large warehouse I had to build just to store all my games and other programs - and looking at them. Those floppies just aren't the same anymore, there is no more fun in gaming. PC gaming is dead."
(Gamer, ca. 1980)

Ever heard about "progress"? Modern games can only be played when you're online, live with it (or crack it, which is easy enough). No amount of whining and whimpering will change that. Don't forget that for the average end user, this "forced online" thing has quite a number of benefits, for instance auto-patching. The main advantage is on the side of companies like Valve of course, who are (finally!) able to track what you're playing for how long, for example. Valve is thriving, so they're obviously doing something right.

Tech support: if you've ever worked "in the field" you'd know that tech support people are flooded by stupid question from stupid users, all the time. I estimate that in 75% of all cases the problem will just go away on its own if you wait it out. A very, very large percentage of computer related problems falls in the category of PEBKAC, and can't be solved via the phone at all anyway. So if you're a normal end user, you'll have to wait. Also, don't think the first line of support is run by real professionals. These guys are badly paid, young people, and their motivation is on the level of their salary. There are ways of getting at the "support pros" (more or less) immediately, but I won't tell (; . I don't even want to think about the sheer number of possible computer configs when you're looking at gaming PCs, let alone stupid people trying to overclock and "tweak" their systems.

Btw, I've worked in PC first-level-support (telephone) for a short time only, I was mostly working at customers PCs (much more fun, and interesting). Nowadays I charge a small fortune per hour for doing PC service, so stupid users (who accept my rates!) are most welcome (; .

And why do I need to be online to play in single player? That's B.S. and you know it. What if I have no internet connection at all and just want to play games? Should I be excluded from playing games because I'm not an internet user? There are still people in this world who can't afford the monthly charge for internet service but might be able to afford to buy a game or two once in a while. Why should they not be allowed to buy games for lack of an internet connection when an internet connection is not actually required to play the actual game, but only for validation? And once validated, why should I then be forced to have an internet connection forever to keep playing? So I buy a game, activate it, then for some reason I can no longer afford to keep paying for my internet connection and it gets cut off only now I can't play any of the games I PAID FOR either, because I have to run Steam first and without access to the internet Steam can't access the Steam server, which means I can't play even though they have already been validated as legal copies. See the problem now?