VOGONS

Common searches

Welcome to the Desert of the Real World

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 71, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Snover, just to let you know, the problem with font sizes in IE5.5 happens only in my machine, due to a bug in IE and Outlook, so never mind about this.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 41 of 71, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would also like to add that the reason why some people see the new forum as better or worse is that it looks good in 1024x768 and above, while in 800x600 (I use this resolution) all threads titles are being displayed in 3 lines so it is difficult to read them.

The solution for this would be setting a minimum width for the forum so it could cover the whole screen in 800x600.

Reply 42 of 71, by arromdee3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I suggest, when the user registers, having an option "send me my registration confirmation again". I tried to register as arromdee several times forgetting to turn off my spam filter, which has lots of entries for things like "click here", so I never got the message and had no way to get another one.

Reply 43 of 71, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Alright, now we're getting somewhere.

Things to change:

• [IN PROGRESS (done where it's important)] Re-add the navigation bar at the top of the page
  • [DONE] Make the links more distinct from text
  • [WORKSFORME] Work around 800x600 resolution visitors (probably with JS changing the width style)
  • [DONE] Reduce the character spacing on the section headers
  • [(mostly) DONE] Fix the damn broken BBCode
  • [DONE] Fix the damn broken attach_mod
  • [DONE] Truncate the display of long links
  • [DONE] Increase contrast between new post and no new post icons
  • [DONE] Modify "e" character to look more like an "e"
  • Theme the PM stuff and turn it on
  • Theme the moderation split threads function
  • Continue creating and adding avatars
  • [DONE] New favicon
  • [DONE] Update to latest version of phpBB
  • Regression testing for W3C XHTML1.1 and CSS2 compliance
  • Fix moderator images
  • [DONE] Add new usergroups and forums for usergroups
  • Change quote/edit/etc button sizes
  • Theme merge threads stuff
  • Add category to navbar

Volunteers willing to help with some of this stuff please email me by clicking the "mail" icon below this post. Thanks!

Last edited by Snover on 2003-12-07, 23:17. Edited 5 times in total.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 44 of 71, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

We're gettng there.
Anyway. 3 other things :

1 the reply with quote and edit button at the upperright are really small.
maybe increase their size or move them to the bottom ?

2 [DONE] please remove the emoticon related to : \ :\
because it's used unintentional a lot on this forum because of the nature of the hosted material.

3. [DONE] Maybe somehow (not easy I realize) create a showthread.php which links to some of the old links (especially forum headers and guides. (like the pictoral guide to dosbox. and maybe the screenshots thread. I see a lot of linking to these now missing threads.

Reply 46 of 71, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe it would be a good idea renaming, for example, in the VDMSound category:
"General" to "VDMSound: General"
"Development" to "VDMSound: Development"
etc.

It's very confusing the way it is now when searching for new posts, and at some other cases too. Especially with phpBB.

Reply 50 of 71, by Daveybaby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Jesus. This is awful.
I dont have a problem with the colour scheme, but the font sizes are fuxx0red on my machine. Waaaay too big - lines of text are overlapping one another! Using IE 5.5. I'd use another browser, but i'm at work and dont have that luxury.

This wouldnt be a problem, as usually i would change back to the default subSilver theme which, though dull, is at least readable. However when i select the subSilver theme in my profile it makes no difference. 🙁

I've deleted any cookies i can find with vogons in the name - but its made no difference. My profile says i've got subSilver chosen but it dont look like subSilver to me 😖

Crumbs!

Reply 51 of 71, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Daveybaby wrote:

Jesus. This is awful.
I dont have a problem with the colour scheme, but the font sizes are fuxx0red on my machine. Waaaay too big - lines of text are overlapping one another! Using IE 5.5. I'd use another browser, but i'm at work and dont have that luxury.

I had the same problem, it looks like the default text size of "Normal" used by IE 5.5 really messes up these new pages. You can try to change it (under View menu, Text Size) to "Smaller", but eventually it will revert back to Normal when you open a new browser window. This is a bug with IE 5.x if Outlook 2000 is also installed, see this Microsoft KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=242984.

If you have the option, try Mozilla, or even better, try Firebird (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird). It's small, fast and gets the job done without several quirks of IE that will appear while you browse around VOGONS. Also please note that I do not want start a holy war on browser choices, this is just an opinion.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 53 of 71, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

download.php?id=651
Two problems:
1. should be "Who's Online", not "Site Statistics".
2. those 2 are switched

Attachments

• stylebugs1-2.jpg
    Filename
    stylebugs1-2.jpg
    File size
    77.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 55 of 71, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

#2 - Whoooooooooops. 😀
#1 - Actually I changed in the lang_english file "Who's Online" to "Site Statistics" because I thought it sounded better... and it does, on the front page. But then phpBB uses the same entry for the title on that page too. I'll fix that...*gets to work hacking up phpBB some more*

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 56 of 71, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Just two suggestions:

Could it be possible to stretch the forum to use up all the available width in the page? I think there's a lot of wasted space at the margins.

And, as there are topics that take up several pages, it is sometimes necessary to go directly to the last page of a given topic. Right now those links are located only at the bottom of the screen, but it would be nice if we could have them also at the top of the screen.

Regards.

Reply 57 of 71, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I mistakenly clicked a forum "header" and realised that the page you get doesn't really look good, perhaps you should hack phpBB2 some more? 😀
A link to show what I mean: index.php?c=2

Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64)

Reply 59 of 71, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote:

heh, yeah, I noticed that too, I was hoping nobody else would 😉

You almost got away with it 😜

Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64)