VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK seriously, this is something I only wished I could do back in the days of DOS: My monitor and video card both support completely made-up screen resolutions!

Why is this significant?

Well, I started playing Escape Velocity Nova again. I'm giving it another shot since I found out that if you register the game, you can download total-conversion plugins (for free!) which convert the game into its predecessors, both the original Escape Velocity and Escape Velocity Override. (Both of which were only released for Mac OS.) However, the game is designed specifically to run at 800x600 and 1024x768 resolution, and when using an external program to hack in 1920x1080, everything got tiny.

So, I went looking through the resolution list for my video card, hoping to find something widescreen with a 768 vertical resolution when I noticed a button marked "Custom". Sure enough, the moment I clicked on it I got a lengthy disclaimer about how using the feature would void warranties, possibly cause damage, etc. etc., and in a time when monitors weren't able to detect out-of-range settings, this would've mattered. :P

Sure enough, this thing would let me set any resolution I could imagine and would auto-calculate the timing settings and everything. So, after determining that 1364x768 was the optimal 16:9 resolution with a vertical of 768, I set that up as a new custom resolution, tested it, and it worked!

Granted, the pixel-thin text of EV Nova looks like crap at that resolution considering the 1920x1080 native resolution of my monitor, but it wasn't looking any better at 1024x768, and now I've got it widescreen so... I'm happy. :)

...I'm gonna go record the voiceover for the next ADG now. ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2 of 6, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some monitors or TV sets doesn't support all ranges of resolutions, so you may get some "Out of sync" errors when defining not standard resolutions.

In those cases, you'll need to upscale the game to a resolution supported by your monitor.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 6, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zup wrote:

Some monitors or TV sets doesn't support all ranges of resolutions, so you may get some "Out of sync" errors when defining not standard resolutions.

In those cases, you'll need to upscale the game to a resolution supported by your monitor.

Dumb question: If you're using an LCD display (which everyone seems to be these days), which has a fixed resolution, how can any resolution be out of range? I mean, anything that doesn't exactly match its native resolution is going to get scaled anyway, so what difference does it make what the original signal resolution is?

Reply 4 of 6, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem with the escape velocity nova conversions is timing issues. Not everything converted correctly. This is apparent if you played the original escape velocity on an original mac. Also, there are some bugs in override.

Now the problem I always had with Nova, is that it is TOO easy to get into a story line. And you don't always want to start one! Also, there is a SEVERE lack of light warship sized ships. The original corvette was AWESOME. It was just the right size for a heavy-blockade running ship to light capital ship. Sure I couldn't take on confed. cruisers head up but I could kill one in a pinch.

In nova you have lots of small ships, then suddenly big bulky heavy warships, and nothing In between. The manticore is awesome as a pirate vessel but sucks for most other things, not to mention the cost of getting all the required upgrades will set you back 5 million credits on TOP of the 12 million price tag. I always get stuck with a heavily modified starbridge and end up being underpowered and outgunned later in the storyline. Although it does look real cool. (flying bicycle seat FTW)

I cant really get into override. I'm playing it right now and it just feels... unpolished.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 5 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did something similar when I had a 19" 1280 x 1024 LCD and FEAR came out. It was a very demanding game and in order to improve the performance I created a custom resolution of 1280 x 720 through the Nvidia driver.

Now I had a nice Widescreen image and better performance 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 6, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rekrul wrote:

Dumb question: If you're using an LCD display (which everyone seems to be these days), which has a fixed resolution, how can any resolution be out of range? I mean, anything that doesn't exactly match its native resolution is going to get scaled anyway, so what difference does it make what the original signal resolution is?

Actually, so long as the monitor supports digital signals, the only resolution limitations are what are hardcoded into the monitor's circuitry and the frequency limit is based on how much data the monitor can physically handle/display at once. (My LCD monitor can do 70 Hz, but only at resolutions less than its native 1920x1080, which is limited to 60 Hz.)

Analog signals however, rely on various timing mechanisms which have range limits, both upper and lower, and if a particular resolution and frequency cannot be attained without leaving one of those timing boundaries, then the resolution cannot be displayed. Also, older graphics cards are not designed to handle custom resolutions because they have to adhere to display standards that define what resolutions are allowed and what resolutions are not, so sometimes the graphics card is to blame when setting a non-standard resolution.

At first, CRT monitors could only sync to very specific resolutions and frequencies because of how they were built. The term "multi-sync" monitor was coined to indicate a monitor that was designed to sync to any kind of signal within its range limits, at least, that's the way I understand it. I've NEVER seen a multi-sync monitor go nuts due to setting an improper resolution. The worst that happens is an "out of range" error that the monitor itself displays on-screen. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg