Common searches

Pop-ups

Topic actions

First post, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I never cease to be amazed at how hard pop-up SPAM programmers will work to annoy me. Actually my concern is for "ordinary people".

Notice how everything is written on the ad to emulate what you would really see on an actual XP wizard. I mean I've seen some pop-ups that imitated OS windows before, but geez.

How many new PC owners are going to Spam-alot because of this? Worse than that gator "plug-in" thing.

Attachments

• ack.gif
    Filename
    ack.gif
    File size
    41.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 3, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

hint,hint, use MOZILLA!! 1.1 was just released a few days ago. It's pretty rockin'. And just to clarify, Netscape = a crappy special build of Mozilla + AOL crap + other useless stuff that isn't in Moz.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 3, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

hint,hint, use MOZILLA!! 1.1 was just released a few days ago.

Actually, I've been using a mix of IE 5.5 and Mozilla teamed up with Proximitron.

I use the Mozilla for general browsing and especially for sites that tend to try "do stuff" beyond displaying text and images.
It's pretty secure.

I use IE for sites that have compatibility issues, demand lots of java,etc..

It only happened because I went to a new site with IE instead of Mozilla.

I was just annoyed at how much effort that they had placed in the ad, so as to mimic an XP service window. Like I said, I had seen ads mimicking Windows. But these were still obviously ads with Windows "gadgets". The only real give-away on this is the Title bar which has "Internet Explorer" in it and the close gadget.

There's _nothing_ in the window to indicate what it really is. They're obviously trying to trick someone (newbie XP owners, obviously) into thinking that this is an OS application that has popped up because it detected a performance problem. Even calls itself "System Performance Wizard" in the title bar.

Just hacked me off. Worse than telemarketing.

Reply 3 of 3, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It'd be interesting to know what it was for. Isn't there some law against that kind of thing?

Of course, *I'd* notice it because I don't use XP so it would look, uh, wrong. 😜 (Plus I'm no fool. Well, most of the time.)

Yes, it’s my fault.