Posting from 1996 system!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 56, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:
Isnt that a little bit risky to go on the internet with that old browser version? […]
Show full quote

Isnt that a little bit risky to go on the internet with that old browser version?

Can you use youtube on that machine?? 🤣

Yesterday i was on the internet with this system:

AMD Athlon 850mhz Socket A
ABIT KT7A-RAID
512 MB PC-133 SDRAM
320GB SATA disk samsung T166 (with IDE convertor)
Asus Geforce 4 TI 4400 AGP x4 128MB

Cheap Sweex Gigabit lan..

Windows 98 second edition

Kernelex software + K-meleon webbrower. (cant use Youtube, but other things works perfectly and fast.)

The machine is not networked, so minimum risk there... but your Athlon machine is awfully similar (edit- in power I mean) to my regular Win98 surfing rig- cept I have a Coppermine 800mhz, also using K-Meleon. 😁

Reply 21 of 56, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm when we first got the internet at home was using a DX2 66 with 16MB, Internet Explorer 3 took ages to start up on that. Was always using 16 Colours then in Windows 3.1, I actually played a lot of Sim City 2000 in 16 Colours but when I first saw it on 95 with 256 Colours I thought it looked amazing.

Reply 22 of 56, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
awergh wrote:

Hmm when we first got the internet at home was using a DX2 66 with 16MB, Internet Explorer 3 took ages to start up on that. Was always using 16 Colours then in Windows 3.1, I actually played a lot of Sim City 2000 in 16 Colours but when I first saw it on 95 with 256 Colours I thought it looked amazing.

Oldest machine i've posted on is a PowerMac 7600/132 with a G3. Oldest computer to post on i've seen is a ZX Spectrum from 1982. 😁

Reply 23 of 56, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tokyoracer wrote:
awergh wrote:

Oldest machine i've posted on is a PowerMac 7600/132 with a G3. Oldest computer to post on i've seen is a ZX Spectrum from 1982. 😁

Some people have gotten online with Apple II's using Contiki and Lynx.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMzgp7xTp1k

Reply 24 of 56, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dialing into Compuserve via "acoustic coupler" on a B/W Macintosh Plus in the late 80's or early 90s.
I had a friend who used to operate a BBS from his Amiga 500 around that time as well.

To me, PCs were worthless then. 😳

Reply 25 of 56, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tons of youtube videos of people getting on the internet from PC/XTs, 5155s, PCjr...

There are also live web servers running on C64s.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 26 of 56, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's the oldest PC you've used on the net, or to post on Vogons?

Everyday I use my World's Fastest 486 (Cyrix 5x86-133) to check Vogons, cpuworld, check weather, check work e-mail (Outlook Web App), check for parts on digikey, browse wiki.

It is the Flash apps that sometimes kill online browsing for me.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 28 of 56, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was there 2 minutes ago on my 486 with ie 5.0 on win 3.11. I tried to post a hello but it just would not accept the submit... 😢
I also tried with Netscape 4.08, was even buggier.

And this forum is ugly as sin in 16 colors. Least i can offer is a screenshot 😁

VOGONSB.jpg

Reply 29 of 56, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First computer I used the internet on was an IBM PS/ValuePoint with a 486SX. This was back in 1995 or 1996. In recent times, the oldest computer I used the internet with would be a circa 199 Micron Milennia with a 133mhz Pentium. That was early this year and I was even using it with what was the latest version of Firefox at the time.

Right now, I'm actually posting this from a circa 2000 Compaq Deskpro I have plugged into my TV serving as an internet terminal, youtube player and stereo system.

Reply 30 of 56, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!
I´m posting with a Pentium III Katmai 500 Slot-1

System Specs:
Mobo:SOYO 6BA+
AGP:nVidia TNT2 16MB (today i will buy a nVidia GeForce MX400 64MB)
3D:Diamond Monster 3D 4MB
RAM:320MB PC100
LAN:Realtek RTL8139 (the classic NIC)

I use this as my main PC (planning upgrade to a Socket-A mobo)

But my very first computer on the internet is:

CPU:Intel Celeron-A 366
AGP:Matrox MGA-G100
RAM:128MB
Internet:3G usb modem

Reply 34 of 56, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dang....I should give this a try 🤣

Will I be needing a firewall if I'm behind a router btw? If not, I probably won't bother 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 35 of 56, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IBM PS/2 8580 from 1987. (Yeah 1996 is just 9 years later 😉 )
Running WfW 3.11, Opera 3.52 in 1024x768 256 colors on 8514A.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 36 of 56, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sebaz_ri wrote:
Posting again from 486 […]
Show full quote

Posting again from 486

System Specs:
PCChips M919 v 3.4
PCI:S3 ViRGE 325
Arachne 1.95
16mb RAM
LAN:Realtek RTL8139C

Again the same system but different OS

System Specs:
CPU:Cyrix 5x86-120 😳
IE 5.5 😁

Reply 37 of 56, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oldest machine? Right now my SGI O2 workstation (a UNIX graphics workstation from 1996) is connected to my network and online. I also got my old Pentium 90 (as well as my old Pentium 75 laptop) at one point on the 'net with Win95, but browsing via broadband on either of those two machines was less than stellar. Don't really have anything older in my possession at this moment though.

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 38 of 56, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And here's a screenshot of my workstation running Firefox (v2). Pretty slow, but renders almost everything okay. Netscape is a lot faster but crashed upon loading this site (not to mention that it looked like crap).

firefoxirix.th.png

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem