Common searches

Dumpster treasures !

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 46, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, Very nice! I wish i could make such an ancient find in the local trash.
Pretty unlikely 😜

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 41 of 46, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MaxWar wrote:

Wow, Very nice! I wish i could make such an ancient find in the local trash.
Pretty unlikely 😜

A few years ago, I found some off-brand computer system right up the road. It was a horizontal case with two 5.25" floppy drives and no hard drive. There was also a matching keyboard and monitor with it. The monitor was the strange part; It was probably only about 10" and had a metal bar (looked like a handle) on the bottom front for propping it up on an angle and the computer case had a matching indentation on the top. It was obviously intended to sit on top of the case. If I remember correctly, I think it was an amber monitor. It also had a pull-up handle on the top for carrying it (the monitor, not the computer).

It powered on, but without any software on disk, there was nothing I could do with it. Also, I'm not really a fan of early DOS stuff in B/W or CGA. I didn't know anyone who wanted anything that old, so I ended up getting rid of it. It was cute, but I had no use for it.

Reply 42 of 46, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@jwt27: awesome find! Any other details about the machine - what are those other cards installed? How much RAM? (I guess Basic's free bytes count doesn't say much, since it can only address 64K anyway)
XTs and above would be more interesting to me personally, but gotta have some love for the 5150 that started it all.

DonutKing wrote:

I've got a 5150 that I'm working on myself, but its been slow progress so far. Its got a MDA graphics card in it and I'm too scared to plug my EGA monitor into it in case it fries. Even though they are both 9 pin the monitor may not handle the frequency.

Yeah, I wouldn't do it... chances are you'll get some interesting-smelling smoke. I think I've seen a few sites selling new LCD monitors specially made to handle MDA, CGA and EGA, but that's not the kind of thing I'd want to use on a vintage machine 😁

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 43 of 46, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rekrul wrote:

Also, I'm not really a fan of early DOS stuff in B/W or CGA. I didn't know anyone who wanted anything that old, so I ended up getting rid of it.

Dude... that's just wrong. 😒
Quite a few people would be interested in something like that. It's a working machine - even the parts could be very valuable.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 44 of 46, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VileRancour wrote:
Rekrul wrote:

Also, I'm not really a fan of early DOS stuff in B/W or CGA. I didn't know anyone who wanted anything that old, so I ended up getting rid of it.

Dude... that's just wrong. 😒
Quite a few people would be interested in something like that. It's a working machine - even the parts could be very valuable.

Yeah... Nowaday you can use Kijiji or Craigslist to easily give away stuff. Its Much Better than trashing it. Personally i use kijiji because thats what people in my city use the most and theres a freebie section with the obvious flock of people browsing it. Last week i listed a small collection of antique beer bottle on kijiji, on the free section. I wrote in the text i wanted to give it to a serious collector only. In 3 hours i had received several responses, one of them i felt was good. Person came over and i gave the bottles, did not take much of my time really. Got rid of some stuff i did not need, did not have to trash it, Made another person happy 😀

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 45 of 46, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up a Playstation 2 today with necessary cables and one controller. I got it from a friend who had it sitting in his closet for a few years and wanted to get rid of it. It's an original big model from 2001 and was rather dusty and grimey and wouldn't read discs properly. After taking apart the unit and thoroughly cleaning everything then making some adjustments to the optical drive, it looks and runs like new. Now I just need to find some games; until then it's basically a DVD player for me.

Reply 46 of 46, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VileRancour wrote:

@jwt27: awesome find! Any other details about the machine - what are those other cards installed? How much RAM? (I guess Basic's free bytes count doesn't say much, since it can only address 64K anyway)

It is a 5150 made in Scotland, date stamp in the front cover reads 13 sep. 1984. The mainboard is a 64-256K board with the full 256KB installed. CPU is an Intel 8088, without co-processor.
The expansion cards are: Floppy drive controller, Monochrome display adapter, two asynchronous parallel interface cards, and a Quadram real-time clock card (with leaking battery).

One strange thing I noticed is that it has a 130W power supply installed, while I read everywhere on the web that it should have a 63W PSU. Only the XT and later models had 130W PSUs to power the harddrive, which this machine does not have.