VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow. There's right now a counter on Good Old Games counting up to 6 million unique downloads. Incredibly awesome things will happen once it reaches that point. More information:

http://www.gog.com/en/news/help_us_achieve_6_ … e5380a992b2786a

2011 has been a fantastic year for GOG.com, let's make it even better and make the last push to achieve the 6 million unique dow […]
Show full quote

2011 has been a fantastic year for GOG.com, let's make it even better and make the last push to achieve the 6 million unique downloaded games milestone.

During our presentation at the CD Projekt Fall 2011 Conference we've shared some numbers that show how successful this year was for GOG.com, all that was possible thanks to you - our great community. One of the big milestones we'd like to celebrate with you is the 6 million unique downloaded games! Help us achieve this number and we'll launch a time-limited special offer for all GOG.com users!

Note that when we say "unique games downloaded," that means redownloading games that you have already downloaded before won't increment the counter.

When the counter on the main page of the website hits 6 million, two exciting things will hapen. First off, the lucky user who downloaded our 6 millionth unique game will receive everything that's currently in the catalog, abslutely free! Secondly, everyone who has an account on GOG.com will be able to download Broken Sword: Shadow of The Templars Director’s Cut for free, thanks to Sir Charles Cecil and Revolution Software. The offer will be valid only for 48 hours starting from hitting the milestone, so be sure to check GOG regularly or follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Let's get cracking to unlock this achievement as soon as possible - it's all in your hands now!

Further clarification:

Ok, we managed to clear all confusions. So if you already bought the game, but haven't downloaded it yet, and start downloading it now this counts towards the 6m unique game downloads. So till you start downloading this game it won't count. Hope that clarifies everything. Extras don't count and multiple game files are counted as one unique game download.

Also right now the counter is supposed to be going in realtime but the mass of data overloaded it so it's only doing it incrementally every four seconds right now.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 6 of 37, by btw3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

I wonder how much dosbox powered games are among those 6 million..

Sorry for asking this, but does this mean that you don't have a commercial $$$ agreement with them? That's unbelievable. GOG should be ashamed.

Reply 7 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Dosbox is GPL thus they don't have to do anything... And yes, I think there should be some money going to the devs)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 37, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There was also a bit of contention a while back because none of the money from GOG sales goes to the original game devs. It just goes to whoever owns the rights to the game, usually a company like EA who has only acquired these rights by buying up other companies and has then done nothing with them.

I do like the idea behind GOG and have bought a few games off them before but it would be good if some of the other people responsible got a piece of the pie too. As it stands now its just a bunch of middle men who are making money off other people's work.

Reply 9 of 37, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not this again. The devs already got their money. They made the choice to go with a Publisher. That is not GOG's problem.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I agree. I don't see why GOG should pay the original devs. They got their money once...

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 37, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

Not this again. The devs already got their money. They made the choice to go with a Publisher. That is not GOG's problem.

Quote for truth. Gotta love how everytime the devs are the good guys and the publishers are the big bad guys.
I love GOG, it has made a lot of amazing games available to a wider audience and people who don't know or don't have time to set a DOSBox configuration or Retro system just to play those games. And hey, it's legal 😉

Reply 12 of 37, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Geez you guys. GoG is an amazing site that is bringing back loads of classic games all the time, reducing the need to pirate and torrent them, and making them playable on modern systems. This is huge for those 3dfx Win95/98-only games that don't work otherwise. Or hunt around in bargain bins, thrift stores, or garage sales for those classic gems. Everything's DRM-free and you can redownload whenever you want. GoG is an amazing resource. It seems anyone can always find a reason to hate a good thing. There are some games I'd probably never have the good fortune to acquire if it weren't for GoG.

If the devs wanted to profit off of DOSBox they should have made it a licensed software you have to buy or subscribe to instead of the free open source GPL download it is. I don't see anything wrong with how GoG is using DOSBox. Except for the fact that they sometimes use outdated versions.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 13 of 37, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

I agree. I don't see why GOG should pay the original devs. They got their money once...

Why should the Rolling Stones still get a cut of iTunes sales of their songs? They got their money once, right?

Reply 14 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Oh you again...
I was about to write a lengthy reply why that is all a bit different but I'd rather talk to a wall. It gives more logical responses.

Reply 15 of 37, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
Dominus wrote:

Why should the Rolling Stones still get a cut of iTunes sales of their songs? They got their money once, right?

Probably because they made a very shitty deal with their publisher so they could get their measley percentage.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 16 of 37, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:
Dominus wrote:

These rhetorical questions are great!

Why should the Rolling Stones get a cut of the sales of their songs for 70 years? 50 years should be enough, right?

😉

Reply 17 of 37, by btw3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MusicallyInspired wrote:

If the devs wanted to profit off of DOSBox they should have made it a licensed software you have to buy or subscribe to instead of the free open source GPL download it is. I don't see anything wrong with how GoG is using DOSBox.

Ah, I see. To be clear, I like GOG too, but I think DOSBox devs should get a piece of the pie too. But if GPL is DOSBox choice, instead of free-for-non-commercial-usage license I have nothing more to say.

Thank you for answer.

Last edited by btw3d on 2011-09-23, 22:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 37, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

Oh you again...
I was about to write a lengthy reply why that is all a bit different but I'd rather talk to a wall. It gives more logical responses.

You just don't want to admit you lost the last argument. 😜

Please don't let that stop you, though, from explaining how the Rolling Stones are entitled to receive continuing payments for work they did once while software devs are not. I could argue that the software dev actually does more work than a musician in a recording studio who just sings or plays into a microphone. Whose job is really harder?