VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello! sorry my english, i´m from Spain

I was searching, and don´t find any post that shows users wallpapers in windows default 16 color, or the default 20 color of 256 palette

I´m assembling a 386, and i bought a ET4000 with 1mb, and i really want to use 1024x768, but im stuck with 256 color mode

Then wallpapers, need to only use the reserved colors

Any database of this kind of wallpapers?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 28, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello!

Shall we get some things straight, first? :

1. You want to use 1024x768 resolution with 16 colours, right?

2. You want Wallpapers which was originally designed or made with 16-colours, right?

I'm sure others can help.

From my part, you can try downloading this and see : Wallpapers from Windows 3.0

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 3 of 28, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From my part, you can try downloading this and see : Wallpapers from Windows 3.0

Oh, i remember 3.0 wallpapers, thanks. I remember I bought windows 3.0 years..years ago... jaja thanks

I used to make my own with paint brush as a kid. I think i do not need to specify they were ugly as sin though. and no, i no longer have them Sad

Ok, yesterday i made some wallpapers in 1024x768, in the reserved 16 and 20 colors

Only need to convert from gif to bmp, and they are ready to use 😄

20 colors

kurumu.gif

16 colors

Morishima.gif

20 colors

gurren.gif

16 colors

xmas16.gif

the same, but in 20 colors (better skin)

xmas20.gif[/quote]

Reply 9 of 28, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By the way, all wallpapers are made in a Toshiba CT50, win3.1, paint shop pro 3

That's not quite easy. You need a simple shaded picture with distinct contrast for it to work well.

Not very difficult, but take time, and yes, not all pictures are suitables for 16 colors

I really need ideas about different patterns for skins. Is not easy do skins tones with just, yellow, white and greys.

If someone have nice skins patterns (2x2, or 4x4 pixels) will help a lot 😀

Don't forget to use an error-diffusion dither too.

I´m sorry...but I hate error-diffusion 😁 ,preffer to work by hand using ordered dithering, chosing different patterns of 2x2 pixels bitmaps

It take time, but for me looks more natural, and at the same time, remember me this old Japanese 640x480 games... Knight of Xentar, Princess Maker 2.... oohhh...good times

When i have time, i will do more wallpapers, and 16colors icons too

ohhh... i need to do a lot of reshacking in my win3.1 machine 😉

Reply 12 of 28, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
telanus wrote:

Here is one I "did". It was originally a Windows 8 wallpaper.

Thanks

but this wallpaper is 8bits, 256colors. Is only useful in 15+ bits screens

These wallpapers rock!
I need more of these Sticking Tongue Out

Thanks. I will do more 😀

Reply 14 of 28, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep, converting from higher colours to 16 via software programs alone will not look right. Requires very time consuming and head-ache inducing manual work. What we may want from the conversion will most of the time conflict with what the conversion software "thinks" it's supposed to do.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 15 of 28, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

man, there's one aspect of "the old days" I sure don't miss... having to stick to reserved / system / "web safe" palettes.
(Even the CGA/EGA palette had complementary colors and a secret mojo balance factor... 4bit in Windows just SUCKED)

That said - some really nice work with the wallpapers in this thread.

IIRC, older programs used to do this sort of dithering much better, as opposed to modern Photoshop etc., since this functionality was most in demand back then. Still, as has been said, the only way to get an acceptable result is to do it by hand...

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 16 of 28, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

theres quite a few vector graphics examples that would probably look good, I remember back in the win 3.1 days most of my wallpaper was vector

http://vectorart.org/gallery/

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 17 of 28, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

TheElf@

How do you get good results with a lower number of colours and without error diffusion?

I think the only way is to do patterns by hand... from dark brown to orange...

pattern.gif

By the way,
I made new ones. Like others, 20 reserved colors

Blair.gif

Ryo.gif

[/quote]