VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

this is for those of you who hoard games and have a ton of them installed - whether on a true DOS machine, or for use with DOSBox. Not talking about frontends though (since they offer organization methods that have nothing to do with your filesystem).

since forever, I've simply been keeping a "GAMES" directory, with each game in its own subdir. On my Windows machines it's now "DOSGAMES", but the idea is the same.
of course, as your collection grows larger, having a huge single-level list of directories gets unwieldy, and those 8-character names can get ambiguous... or just tough to keep track of.

what's your chosen method? do you live with the mess, or do you have some sort of structure -
- in alphabetized sub-directories?
- by genre?
- by developer?
- by "era"?
- 4DOS with descriptions?
- some other way?

Share your wisdom - could be fun to see what you guys have come up with.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 2 of 19, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never have so many games installed at the same time to need a very elaborated organizing scheme on my hard drive. I think i am more of in need of organization for all the physical games i bought in the last 15 years that i still have 😜 98% are not installed on my machine at a given time but they are all over the place, shelves, boxes, binders... Nowaday i prefer digital download, much simpler.

On my main machine i usually have an official Game partition where i would install all my modern games in the root in a dir with the gamename.
( ex: f:\UT2004)
When i was using dosbox, it would look like (ex: f:\dosgames\duke2 )
I would have a copy of dosbox for each game with a specifically configured dosbox.conf so i would click dosbox and the game would start with all the right settings. I was inspired to do so when i bought xcom apocalypse on impulse and it came in such a package.

In the last year though i made the shift from using DosBox for my old games to using real Retro Hardware. My new moto is: Very old games on very old systems( VOGOVOS ) ironically it is my new passion for old hardware that made me join this forum 😜 , but thats beside the point.

Thing is so far on my retro machines i stick to the same idea of having a partition for games with all games in a dir on the root. However ive not really played a game for an eternity... Ive not seriously played a game since last spring( when i had bought Armada 2526) . Seems all i do in my free time is play with hardware, scavenge/buy old hardware, setup machines, test hardware, fix hardware, record stuff... Maybe in the future when i go back to actually playing games, i will try to make things even more organized.

Thing is however, where i get a bit more organized is for backuping stuff on my file server. things go on a specific Directory tree ( ex: D:\appsback\dos\drivers\Vgadrivers\ativgawonders.zip )

Reply 3 of 19, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could have all the big developers use a subfolder. That alone should reduce your list by quite a bit!

Splitting it up in genres isn't my cup of tea because some games are hybrids and then you aren't sure where to put them.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 19, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since I've been ever-so-slowly transitioning to my current system from my old Win98 rig, not all of my DOS software is installed, and every time I do install something I set up a custom shortcut for it in a folder dedicated entirely to DOS software shortcuts.

This way, the only organization I have to worry about is whether to sort the list ascending or descending. ;)

Granted, I'm not doing a good job of separating my shareware versions from my registered versions... >_>;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 6 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I store all of my files on my home file server and then use multiple Synology NAS to back up my server.

Shares are broken up as follows:

Games
Media (contains movies and music)
Travel (all of my programs, pictures and backups)
IMAGES (acronis\vmware images)

Games directory has A-Z subdirectories and then beneath those is the full game name. Beneath the game name is Full/Free/Demo and the Cracks, Updates, Images, Docs, etc.

I used to just dump all titles into Games without sorting them in A-Z folders but trying to access that share over the network would take forever when Windows would try to search that folder......Windows always hasn't liked thousands of files in one folder anyway so best to minimize that.

When I play games on my desktop they go in a \Games folder off the root.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 19, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've found that having a ton of games in one location just leads to decision fatigue, so I only install the couples of games I'm playing at any one time, and remove them once I've beaten them.. 😜

MaxWar wrote:

However ive not really played a game for an eternity... Ive not seriously played a game since last spring( when i had bought Armada 2526) . Seems all i do in my free time is play with hardware, scavenge/buy old hardware, setup machines, test hardware, fix hardware, record stuff... Maybe in the future when i go back to actually playing games, i will try to make things even more organized.

Sounds like hardware is your hobby, not gaming. Sadly I'm the same way. Designing, building, configuring, tweaking seems to be more fun than games themselves. Maybe because it feels productive as opposed to a waste of time? Yes.. "productive" use of time.. when you'll never actually use the systems.. 😁

Reply 8 of 19, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have root folders called DOSGAMES and WINGAMES, in the sub folders I have genre folders, FPS, RPG, PLATFORM, ACTION, etc. In those subdirectories I tend to have publisher or developer subdirectories also, and then a subdirectory for each game. For instance...

C:\DOSGAMES\FPS\ID\DOOM
C:\DOSGAMES\FPS\ID\HEXEN
C:\WINGAMES\FPS\MONOLITH\BLOOD2

etc.

Reply 9 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In windows, sometimes for video testing, I group by engine

like for example

C:\GAMES\IDT1\QUAKE
C:\GAMES\IDT1\HEXEN2
C:\GAMES\IDT1\HL2
C:\GAMES\IDT1\LASER
C:\GAMES\IDT3\QUAKE3
C:\GAMES\IDT3\STVEF
C:\GAMES\IDT3\COD4
C:\GAMES\UE1\DEUSEX
C:\GAMES\UE2\BIOSHOCK
C:\GAMES\UE2\DNF

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 19, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

didn't "id Tech 1" refer to the Doom engine? or did they just have trouble retrofitting the silly naming scheme to older games when they made it up later on? 🤣

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 11 of 19, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like to keep the 8 letter Caps Lock naming conversion when mounting folders in DOSBox.
For most games I had C:\DOS\GAMES mounted and let them install to there.
For games that belong to a series I mount a subfolder such as GAMES\CATACOMB, GAMES\COM_KEEN, GAMES\T_MURPHY.
There are also games that store a file at the root so I mount a subfolder to keep them self contained.
I've also used subfolder mounting to keep each of the Duke Nukem 3D expansions separate and each of the Quake expansions separate.
After installing I zip the game directory (or mounted subfolder) and keep that on another dive.

On my other drive I have a folder for DOS, another for Windows 3.1, and currently my 95-98-XP games are together in another folder. In those are the full titles of each game.

If it's part of a series I have the series name with subfolders for each game with 1-, 2- 3-, etc... prefix to keep them in the correct order. The same is used for expansions.

In each game folders I keep disc images, zips of DOS games, and the save files for games I've finished.

The game folders also have another subfolder structure.
Extra
Extra\Guide
Extra\Guide\Cheat
Extra\Guide\FAQ
Extra\Guide\Map
Extra\Manual
Extra\Patch

This is used for patches, pdf manuals if I found one, maps, walk through, and cheat codes which I formatted into an rtf document.
Sometimes I also keep wallpapers.

I've also kept text files documenting my setup and in game option choices as well as where I downloaded patches from.

Reply 14 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I categorize in
- Ultima
- NoUltima
😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 17 of 19, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I keep them in a folder called "dosgames." Then each individual game is divided into sub-folders listed in alphabetical order by title. Simple enough, but my collection isn't really that big either... just mostly stuff I grew up with.

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 18 of 19, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually I usually have a whole FAT16 2047GB PARTITION itself labeled "GAMES" in my pure DOS machines. Depending on my mood, I sometimes place them under the developer's/publisher's title.

Usually my favourites fall into :

E:
\ORIGIN\ - (for Crusader, Ultima VI, Ultima VII, Crusader, Regret, Bioforge, System Shock, etc.)
\SIERRA\ - (for King's Quest series, Quest for Glory Series, etc.)
\SSI\ - (for Dragonlance Games, Forgotten Realms, Stronghold, etc.)
\MICROPRS\ - (for Gunship2000, F-117A, Darklands, etc.)
\LUCASART\ - (for Fate of Atlantis, Monkey, Monkey2,etc.)
\TITUS\ - (for Crime Does Not Pay, Prehistorik, etc.)

And most of the time, I place the individual games under root directory :

E:
\PRINCE (Prince of Persia)
\WARCRAFT
\RISKY (Risky Woods)
\GODS
\OMF (One Must Fall 2097)
\FXFIGHT (FX FIGHTER)
\TMNT (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
\DINO (Dinowars)

etc..etc.. 😀

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 19 of 19, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:
Actually I usually have a whole FAT16 2047GB PARTITION itself labeled "GAMES" in my pure DOS machines. Depending on my mood, I s […]
Show full quote

Actually I usually have a whole FAT16 2047GB PARTITION itself labeled "GAMES" in my pure DOS machines. Depending on my mood, I sometimes place them under the developer's/publisher's title.

Usually my favourites fall into :

E:
\ORIGIN\ - (for Crusader, Ultima VI, Ultima VII, Crusader, Regret, Bioforge, System Shock, etc.)
\SIERRA\ - (for King's Quest series, Quest for Glory Series, etc.)
\SSI\ - (for Dragonlance Games, Forgotten Realms, Stronghold, etc.)
\MICROPRS\ - (for Gunship2000, F-117A, Darklands, etc.)
\LUCASART\ - (for Fate of Atlantis, Monkey, Monkey2,etc.)
\TITUS\ - (for Crime Does Not Pay, Prehistorik, etc.)

Hey, that's similar to mine. Of course, there are some early CD ROM games like Hi-Octane that "play directly" through the CD, while they actually create their own directory in C:\ the first time you play them.