VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 23, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stull wrote:

Unfortunately not; I believe they only made it for PC and Mac. But it might be a good gateway for you to go back and play some DOS games that you missed out on. 😉

Actually, since most early action games usually only use one or two buttons, I can make do with An Atari compatible joystick and an adapter. That's how I play Need for Speed II SE. I built the adapter from plans on the net and it plugs into a gameport. Since dealing with real gameports always seems to be a bit of a hassle, I have a Radio Shack gameport to USB adapter. It has a "gamepad" setting on it that works great with the Atari sticks. I just need to modify my adapter to add support for extra buttons, and then rig a footswitch so that I can hit it with my foot. I figure it will come in handy for emulators as well. 😀

Even with right-handed controls, I prefer to use a joystick rather than a gamepad. However I should qualify that by saying that I prefer old-style digital, Atari era joysticks, rather than the large flight-stick style ones. I dislike having to hold my arm up and not having anything to rest my hand against, other than the stick itself. Also, analog flight-sticks suck for action games.

SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:
With that allowed mouse look I started using: Left hand - Arrow keys with sidestep Right hand - Mouse […]
Show full quote

With that allowed mouse look I started using:
Left hand - Arrow keys with sidestep
Right hand - Mouse

In Descent I used:
Left hand - Arrow keys, Numpad
Right hand - Mouse

It wasn't until well into the Windows XP Era of games that I got use to the idea of W,S,A,D.

I still use the arrow keys. When using W,S,A,D, it's too easy to lose track of the keys, especially when playing in the dark.

My normal control setup is:

Right hand - Mouse. Left button=Fire, Right Button=Jump, Middle Button=Secondary Fire or Use (Depends on which is more important for that particular game)

Left hand - Arrow keys for movement & strafing. CTRL key to crouch, Numpad 0=Use or Secondary fire, Numpad +=Reload (I can hit that with my right thumb). For games with mystical powers, I usually map the most important ones to the Numpad keys.

If secondary/alt fire is used a lot, I put it on the middle mouse button. If I only use it occasionally and I need "Use" a lot, I put that on the middle button instead.

If they're not hard-coded in the game, I also always make sure to move the quicksave and quickload keys to opposite ends of the function keys. I hate when games put them next to each other!

For the game Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K.2, the mouse buttons are supposed to correspond to your characters hands, but that meant that I'd be using the right button a lot to fire weapons and the left one occasionally to block. So I switched them and had the left button control the right hand, and the right button control the left. This worked out fine, as it basically conformed to the standard FPS control scheme.

Reply 21 of 23, by Calvero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malik wrote:

(Not all got accustomed to the 3d-scrolling feature though - my cousin gets nausea whenever he even sees someone moving around in DOOM. 😁).

I also get nausea from playing a FPS or watching someone else play a FPS. I even get nausea when I play Jazz Jackrabbit; not just the 3D bonus part, even during the 2D platform part.

But I have a cure: beer. Last week I played Doom level e1l1 to e3l4 in one go, while drinking beer, without getting ill.

Reply 22 of 23, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've never gotten motion sickness, either from a game, or from anything in real life. My mother used to say that reading in a moving car made her sick. Then again, she started to get seasick while we were at Mystic Seaport in a captain's ship cabin that had been installed in a building as an exhibit. The floor had a slight uphill slant to it and after just a minute or so, she had to go outside.

Reply 23 of 23, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm a keyboard man for 2.5d FPS games. As soon as 3D came, however, I switched to mouse. Never did use WASD, though. Can't stand it. I can get by with it for Minecraft, but for real FPS's I use the numpad. I don't like using the same finger to go forward and backward. I like being able to immediately go backward when I need to so my thumb is always at the ready. It's faster than moving your middle finger from Up to Down (or W to S). All my other keys are on the numpad as well. End and PgDn are cycle back and forth through weapons, + is reload, Enter is use, PgUp is jump, Del is crouch, and the rest depend on the game. My mouse buttons are just Left to shoot, Middle to alt shoot, and Right to walk.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.