VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Virtually every single DOS FPS game defaults to having the mouse forward/back move your character forward/back. This seems like a really ill-thought out control method to me. Besides the fact that you wouldn't be able to move more than maybe 20 feet before having to lift the mouse and re-center it on the mouse pad, how would you be able to steer and move at the same time? Not only that, but how would you ever be able to navigate narrow ledges when the slightest sideways movement would turn you enough to cause you to run off the edge?

Yet despite how awkward this control method is, virtually all DOS FPS games used it. Sometimes you could disable it, other times you couldn't. Companies insisted on making this the default, while relegating the look up/down controls to the keyboard.

They appear to have thought that being able to move with the mouse was a vital feature, taking precedent over the trivial function of being able to quickly aim up & down. So I'm curious, did anyone actually use the mouse for walking/running in DOS FPS games?

Reply 1 of 23, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I knew a guy who played Wolf3D with a mouse. That was back in 1994, I think -- back before anyone knew any better. I can remember playing Terminator: Future Shock for the first time and being so confused by the mouse look. Then Quake came along..

I can only guess that designers had trackballs in mind when they started adding that functionality. It makes a lot more sense when you can just spin the ball in the direction you want to go.

Reply 2 of 23, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't use mouse originally. When Wolf3D and Blake Stone were new I didn't know any better and played them without using mouse at all.

Once I started playing Quake and read in a magazine about how to use mouselook I didn't look back though. I even figured out how to get mouselook working in build engine games like Blood and Duke3D.
Now when I replay the old pre-Quake FPS's I use both keyboard and mouse, I generally just use the keyboard for forwards and backwards but the mouse does let you turn a lot quicker.

It's not so much a problem in wolf/blake since there's no ledges or pits to fall into but even with Doom and Hexen I don't really find it a problem not to move the mouse forward or backwards either, I just use it for turning, or holding down the button to strafe side to side.

IIRC Doom 2 had some pretty nasty precision 'jumping' type puzzles towards the end which I used keyboard for though.

Reply 3 of 23, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did not use mouse either back then... But since Quake era, the truth was revealed. Ever since i discovered Zdoom, i never played vanilla doom either 😜

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 4 of 23, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wolfenstein 3D is the only DOS FPS where I use the mouse... It's pretty much a requirement to get the accuracy needed to survive on the higher difficulty settings.

OK, technically Quake as well, but I generally only play the OpenGL port of that anymore so it's easy to forget there was a DOS version. ;P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 5 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember playing Descent on the School machines in the computer lab. Everyone was playing with the keyboard, I was the only one using the mouse for up and down and left and right and the keyboard for the throttle.

Needless to say I totally dominated 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 23, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't mean whether you used the mouse at all, I meant if you DID use the mouse, did you use it for walking/running?

You know, push it forward to the edge of the pad, lift it up, re-center it on the pad, push it forward again, repeat.

It just seems too awkward a method to actually use. Even with a trackball, it seems like it wouldn't that easy to control.

I tried to play Alien Trilogy and couldn't get anywhere because every time I accidentally moved the mouse forward/back, I skated all over the place. I actually thought about modifying a spare mouse to block the vertical movement in order to play it. Of course that was before I realized that without the ability to quickly aim up/down, I wasn't going to last more than a couple minutes.

Honestly, how could the designers, when faced with the need to add a control to look up/down, not think of using the mouse? I mean did it go something like this?

Designer 1: We need a way to look up and down as well as side to side...

Designer 2: Well, we use the mouse for looking side to side, so we just need to come up with a similar control for the vertical aiming. Unfortunately, we can't use the mouse forward/back movements, because that's dedicated to moving the character and that's too important to take out.

Designer 1: I know! We can assign two keys on the keyboard to look up & down!

Designer 2: Brilliant!

If anyone ever invents time travel, I want to use it to go back and smack these authors up side the head and tell them to use the freaking mouse! Well, that and to kill whoever invented the idea of left-handed gamepads.

Reply 7 of 23, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used the keyboard for forward/back and the mouse for turning or strafing. Sometimes the mouse was handy for quickly poking through a door, getting a few shots off and drawing aggro, and then backing out and picking the enemies off as they tried to follow you.

As for Descent I actually preferred to play that with a joystick...

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 8 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:

Totally!

But that was in the school lab 😀

Reply 9 of 23, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rekrul wrote:

I didn't mean whether you used the mouse at all, I meant if you DID use the mouse, did you use it for walking/running?

If anyone ever invents time travel, I want to use it to go back and smack these authors up side the head and tell them to use the freaking mouse! Well, that and to kill whoever invented the idea of left-handed gamepads.

I Never ever used the mouse for walking.
Left-handed gamepads?... You mean with the D-pad at the right???

Anyway, ever noticed how on gamepads and arcade controls the direction stick/pad is on the left and on a keyboard, we used to play those platformers with direction arrows at the right. Yet, if feels ''right'' this way.

Then i would use right hand too on a flight sim joystick but left hand on arcade style joystick... Then i never knew from which side to grab a guitar. Sorry for the off-topicness 😜

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 10 of 23, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well for my experience Doom and Wolfenstein meant to be played with only a keyboard.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 11 of 23, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DonutKing wrote:

I used the keyboard for forward/back and the mouse for turning or strafing.

I use the keyboard for forward/back and strafing. In fact, I usually don't even have any keys assigned to turning. Then I use the mouse for aiming.

DonutKing wrote:

I tried playing it with a joystick, but couldn't get used to it. I grew up with Atari style joysticks where you can hold the stick close to the base and just tilt your hand to move. I don't particularly like the large, flightstick style joysticks where your hand sits an inch or more above the base. There's nothing to rest your hand on, so it's hard to keep your hand steady, especially with your arm getting tired. Plus, most analog joysticks tend to feel "mushy", rather than really springing back to the center.

However if you played the original DOS version, I can see why you would prefer the joystick. For some reason, mouse control in the DOS program is really sluggish. When I played it, I used a source port, that didn't have that issue. Plus it also gave higher resolution graphics, 3D acceleration and easier installation.

MaxWar wrote:
Rekrul wrote:

Left-handed gamepads?... You mean with the D-pad at the right???

No, I consider all gamepads with the D-Pad or analog stick used for moving on the left to be left-handed.

I believe that the dominant hand should be used to control the most complex aspect of the game. For most games, especially arcade type games, movement is the most complex part of the game. For example in a scrolling shoot 'em up, you have to constantly move in up to eight directions to avoid enemy fire, avoid crashing into the scenery and line up your shots. The other hand just has to pump the fire button, or occasionally release a smart bomb or switch weapons. Or take a game like Resident Evil; The movement controls are used to steer the character around the screen, often from a backwards perspective (if the character is facing the screen, you need to pres the opposite direction from the way you want to go) while the buttons fire the weapons, and activate objects.

Yet, all these games expect you to control the movement with your left hand and relegate the right hand (which is the dominant hand for most people) to simple button pushing.

When playing an FPS game on the computer, right-handed people usually use the mouse with their right hand, since aiming takes precision and their right hand has finer control. The left hand is mostly only used for moving. Yes, I realize that this somewhat mimics the use of a game pad, but the difference is that the right hand is controlling a much more complex task than just pressing buttons.

MaxWar wrote:

Anyway, ever noticed how on gamepads and arcade controls the direction stick/pad is on the left and on a keyboard, we used to play those platformers with direction arrows at the right.

With a few exceptions, I never played most games using the keyboard. I never had a DOS system, I was a C64 user, and then moved on to the Amiga and always played action games with an Atari compatible joystick. The main exceptions were Karateka on the C64 and Prince of Persia on the Amiga. Both designed by the same guy and both with kind of crappy joystick control. I also played the classic Tomb Raider games using the keyboard, as well as Prince of Persia 3D. In my opinion, a keyboard is not an arcade controller.

MaxWar wrote:

Yet, if feels ''right'' this way.

Not to me it doesn't. My left hand is the least coordinated one and I can't make precise movements in games with it to save my life. It's like asking me to write left-handed, or to use the mouse with my left hand. It feels completely wrong to me.

Back in the 8-Bit era, Atari compatible joysticks were either designed for use by either hand, or they were made to use your right hand on the stick and your left hand for the buttons. Look at the Epyx 500XJ; It's made to be held in your left hand and you work the stick with your right.

MaxWar wrote:

Then i would use right hand too on a flight sim joystick but left hand on arcade style joystick... Then i never knew from which side to grab a guitar. Sorry for the off-topicness 😜

Left-handed joysticks are one of the reasons I never played that many arcade games. Also, the fact that all the game pads have the movement controls on the left is one of the reasons I never felt the desire to own any game system after the Atari era. I like a lot of the games, but hate the controls. Playing "cross-handed" is not a valid playing style, it's a work-around for a backwards control setup!

I recently found a complete Playstation in the trash and I borrowed a bunch of games to test it out. Even though the dual shock controllers have two analog sticks, you can't use the right one for anything. There may have been a couple games that made use of it, but for 99% of the games, it just sits there collecting dust. Wouldn't it have made sense to activate it and allow a person to use whichever stick they wanted? Instead, they force you to use the left one, even though the right one isn't being used. Needless to say that I royally sucked at all the games and got quite frustrated with it.

I've actually though about getting a spare controller, opening it up and rewiring it to swap the sticks and the D-Pad with the four buttons. I mean, both sides have an equal number of contacts, they only differ in how they're arranged. There's no reason that the buttons couldn't function in place of the D-Pad and the D-Pad in place of the four buttons.

Of course I have to wonder why they force you to use preset control setups instead of simply allowing you to define the controls, like virtually every DOS/Windows game does. You can't argue that they didn't think of it because games were doing that long before systems like the Playstation came out.

Reply 12 of 23, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The mouse should be for turning and looking up or down if allowed by the game mechanics. I wouldn't want to side step with the mouse. Why did anyone think I might want step forward and back with it. If I want to use the mouse for turning and a game insists on using the other axis for walking I use NOVERT.

Reply 13 of 23, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rekrul wrote:

Not to me it doesn't. My left hand is the least coordinated one and I can't make precise movements in games with it to save my life. It's like asking me to write left-handed, or to use the mouse with my left hand. It feels completely wrong to me.

I know what you need..

zwSjh.gif

It has a left/right switch and you can flip the controller around and use the d-pad with your right thumb. Now go play some DOS games! 😁

Reply 14 of 23, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

about the whole handedness thing...

I'm left-handed, but my right hand has fairly good coordination, so I've never really bothered using "left-handed versions" of stuff (I use right-handed mouse, play right-handed guitar etc). As a kid I was used to playing games with the keyboard (arrow keys on the right) - maybe that has something to do with it 😁

agree that "the dominant hand should be used to control the most complex aspect" of whatever. The layout of arcade controls doesn't really make a lot of sense for mostly right-handed players... even the guitar thing has always confused me (right-handed guitar is played by strumming/picking with your right hand, and holding notes and chords with the left - but in many styles it's the latter part that's actually more complex).

and yeah - always hated the "move forward/backward with the mouse" control scheme.... until mouselook showed up, I just stuck to the keyboard, and used separate "strafe left/right" keys where possible (1 and 3 on the keypad).

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 15 of 23, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I believe the idea of using the mouse for moving started coming into practice to take advantage of the "3D real-time scrolling feature, which Wolfenstein 3D made famous, and also when the big papa, DOOM arrived :

3D scrolling - the ability to "skate over at the corridors" was quite ground-breaking those days. And if we for a minute, try to not be influenced by the mouse-look feature we're so used to now, and just imagine when mouse was first introduced in the FPS games, the ability to move your mouse, and seeing you taken along the corridor in smooth, "gliding" movement brought quite a realistic-feel, as well as genereated a new kind of "feeling".

(Not all got accustomed to the 3d-scrolling feature though - my cousin gets nausea whenever he even sees someone moving around in DOOM. 😁).

And most of the games those days, take place mosty in hi-tech corridors, inside spaceships or mines where it doesn't really cause constant mouse manipulation. By the end of one swipe of the mouse forward, we would have reached the end of the maze like corridor.

Some areas in Wolfenstein 3D are quite large, and require frequent "forward/backward - mouse up - mouse down - repeat" gestures. I think that's why, somehow it lost the "realistic-touch" feeling.

As for me, for DOS FPS games, I play like how most of you do : W,S - FWD, BKW; A,D - Strafe; Mouse - turning and shooting.

Descent is another different story for me. Previously, before I got used to modifying and applying "mouse-look" capabilities into the Descent series, I used to use 8 of my fingers :

Left Hand :

1. Middle Finger (no seriously) - W and S keys ---> Pitch Up/Down

2. Ring Finger - A - Strafe Left, and, Q - Bank Left

3. Index Finger - D - STrafe Right, and E - Bank Right

4. Little Finger - Lt. Ctrl - Pri. Fire

5. Thumb - Spacebar - Missile / Sec. Weapons

The index and mid. fingers will also press other keys like flare, etc.

Right Hand :

1. Middle Finger (Yes, again) - Up Arrow - Accelerate; Down Arrow - Decelerate;

2. Index Finger - Left Arrow - Turn Left

3. Ring Finger - Right Arrow - Turn Right

I hope the above do not give ideas for trying "something else", or I hope they don't sound erotic. 🤣

But seriously, this is what I used to do. And still do sometimes. NO, Not THAT. I mean controlling the ship in Descent.

I'm a flight sim junky, but I could never get used to using the joystick for playing Descent. For me the crowded and the need to stop and look around, takes away my joystick playing experience. I tend to keep my HOTAS for real-world flight sims.

But I guess it's just a matter of preference.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 16 of 23, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Stuck with the keyboard for the longest time; it wasn't till Quake till I started to extensively use the mouse in conjunction. OK well there were a couple obscure FPSes that I played prior to Quake that was best played with keyboard and mouse - CyClones and System Shock. But the mouse for me only worked best in games where looking up, down and around was necessary for survival.

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 17 of 23, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stull wrote:

I know what you need..

Interesting. Do they make one for the PSX or PS2?

Malik wrote:

I believe the idea of using the mouse for moving started coming into practice to take advantage of the "3D real-time scrolling feature, which Wolfenstein 3D made famous, and also when the big papa, DOOM arrived :

3D scrolling - the ability to "skate over at the corridors" was quite ground-breaking those days. And if we for a minute, try to not be influenced by the mouse-look feature we're so used to now, and just imagine when mouse was first introduced in the FPS games, the ability to move your mouse, and seeing you taken along the corridor in smooth, "gliding" movement brought quite a realistic-feel, as well as genereated a new kind of "feeling".

If I'd had a DOS system at the time these games were new, I probably would have been impressed initially, and then realized what an impractical control method it was. Try to turn without making any forward/back movements. It's virtually impossible. Similarly, try moving forward in a perfectly straight line, without turning. It's like your character is on a skating rink, sliding all over the place.

Malik wrote:

And most of the games those days, take place mosty in hi-tech corridors, inside spaceships or mines where it doesn't really cause constant mouse manipulation. By the end of one swipe of the mouse forward, we would have reached the end of the maze like corridor.

I seem to recall the Doom games, as well as Hexen and Heretic having quite a few high ledges, where you could easily fall to your death if you weren't careful.

Pippy P. Poopypants wrote:

Stuck with the keyboard for the longest time; it wasn't till Quake till I started to extensively use the mouse in conjunction. OK well there were a couple obscure FPSes that I played prior to Quake that was best played with keyboard and mouse - CyClones and System Shock. But the mouse for me only worked best in games where looking up, down and around was necessary for survival.

I never had a DOS system. I went from the C64 to the Amiga to Windows 98. Other than literally maybe 5 minutes playing Doom and Dark Forces on a friend's system, my first experience with FPS games was playing the Half-Life Day One demo and the demo for Jedi Knight. Once I learned to invert the mouse so that pushing forward makes you look down, it seemed completely natural to me.

Reply 18 of 23, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rekrul wrote:

Interesting. Do they make one for the PSX or PS2?

Unfortunately not; I believe they only made it for PC and Mac. But it might be a good gateway for you to go back and play some DOS games that you missed out on. 😉

Reply 19 of 23, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For movement in most early games I prefer:
Left hand - Ctrl, Alt, Space
Right hand - Arrow keys with turning

With games that allowed mouse look I started using:
Left hand - Arrow keys with sidestep
Right hand - Mouse

In Descent I used:
Left hand - Arrow keys, Numpad
Right hand - Mouse

It wasn't until well into the Windows XP era of games that I got use to the idea of W,S,A,D.

Last edited by SKARDAVNELNATE on 2011-10-22, 00:34. Edited 1 time in total.