VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gryzor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys...

A couple of days ago I posted asking for help with running Black Dahlia, only to have the thread locked because "we do not support abandonware".

So... seeing as there's plenty of topics on older games thane BD, what's the distinction? What's wrong with BD?

Thanks!
T

Reply 1 of 9, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nothing specifically wrong with that game, but you'll only get help here if you own a legitimate copy of the game.

You didn't actually say you downloaded the game, so I think the mod was a bit hasty to lock it before you could clarify if its a legitimate copy or not. Perhaps they assumed that since you mentioned a virtual CD that it was a pirate copy. You should try getting it to run with the original CD to avoid any issues that may cause.

Reply 2 of 9, by Gryzor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, but I *do* own the original, right since it ever came out! Actually my wife does, I had bought it as a present to her (well, she was my girlfriend back then 😁 ) and she remembered it a couple of weeks back, but I can't get it to run for her under Windows 7.

I did mention CD images, but that's just because her laptop's optical drive is not working, so I dumped the CDs on my PC...

Thanks for clarifying, I was really puzzled... 😁 Should I open a new thread then?

Reply 3 of 9, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd PM one of the moderators and politely ask for the first thread to be unlocked: groupcp.php?g=1940 😀
if you coudl attach a photo of the original CD that may help your case as well.

Reply 4 of 9, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I own the game aswell, it's 8 discs. The problem with windows 7 I can probably help with, I'll install it later and see if i can get it working. When/if the thread is re-opened I'll post what I can find there.

Reply 7 of 9, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BigBodZod wrote:

It is always nice to clarify first when you post so there isn't any inference that it is not a legitmate copy 😀

This is why I usually ask a leading question to get the poster to reveal if they do before I accuse them when there is doubt. Some see ISO and automatically assume it is a download. This is a silly assumption with old games when an image is a common solution for some compatibility problems like MSCDEX issues. I also make images of some of my discs just for the convenience. An image may be a red flag in some cases, but NOT proof.

Reply 8 of 9, by Gryzor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oops, I had missed the continuation of the thread.

I do find it slightly insulting, being abruptly accused of theft and having a thread locked with no explanation; presumed innocent and all.

@RoyBatty, Collector suggested a patch in the other thread (Black Dahlia on Win7), will try it today hopefully and see what happens. Will be a nice surprise for her if it works 😀

Reply 9 of 9, by Gryzor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@RoyBatty Nah, I realized I have already tried that patch and it doesn't work; game still gives awful gfx glitches. So if you can try it and tell me if you get it working... thanks! 😀