Common searches

thinking back

Topic actions

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does anyone else ever start thinking back as to how primitive early computer were? I am am talking about pre-IBM PC and even the first generations of the PC.
Think about the number of things we take for granted - something as simple as displaying a picture - you really couldn't even think about it until th3 386.
I spent years programming on a C-64, and when I got my first PC (an XT with a CGA monitor) I was blown away because it was at least a real 80-column monitor (not a television set)

Reply 2 of 6, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah I do, all the time. The first pc I played with was my dad's IBM XT, and some Apple something or other. Sometime 1991, I lost interest in PCs and then regained interested only when Win95 was out. And back then, I thought an XT or 286/386 was old!

Reply 3 of 6, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ncmark wrote:

Think about the number of things we take for granted - something as simple as displaying a picture - you really couldn't even think about it until th3 386.

Check out how the Atari 2600 displayed graphics - really makes you appreciate how far we've come !

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/03/racing-the-beam/

Reply 5 of 6, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh man, having tried Atari 2600 programming myself, that article misses some of the more crazy points.

The playfield for example, has to be drawn the same way as the sprites, updating the necessary 20 bits each line right before it gets scanned onto the screen. And yes, only 20 bits, even though the 2600 playfield is 40 pixels wide. This is because those same 20 bits are drawn TWICE, once on the left side then again on the right, though there's an additional bit you can set to mirror the bits on the right side, plus clever programmers could update those 20 bits in the exact machine cycle necessary so that the right side is a different 20 bits than the first. Few games did this though.

One thing that was also insane is that you can't simply set a variable and set an X coordinate of a sprite, line or ball. Y coordinate is easy, just choose which scanline to start drawing from. But to set an X coordinate you had to use a special command which allowed setting a sprite position within 16 pixels of the current colour clock. So to set an X coordinate, you had to perfectly time sending the appropriate command to the CPU. There was no margin for error in this, and since none of the CPU commands take less than 2 machine cycles, you had to use combinations of 2-cycle and 3-cycle commands to time this out. x_x;;;

The saving grace of 2600 programming is that the system had built-in hit detection between all entities, with the appropriate bits set during the actual drawing of the pixels, resulting in pixel-perfect collisions.

TBH though, I think every generation of computing and gaming has its strong and weak points, so I think back to all of them depending on the mood I'm in. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 6 of 6, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was looking back at some of those old Compute's Gazette issues. It's kind of hard to believe how primitive most of that early stuff was. With very few exceptions, most of the BASIC programs were just total junk.