VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys.

My USB disk is "kaput". 🙁((((((((((((

Can anyone recomend a program to try to recover it\some of the data, please?

I'm so sad!! 🙁(((((((((((((

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

My DOS machine: MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium MMX 200MHz, 64MB RAM, AWE64 Gold, 4GB HD, Philips 19" CRT, 3"1/2 Floppy, CDROM, Parallel ZIP, ThrustMaster FLCS+TQL+Elite.

Reply 1 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well for the future I can recommend a tool from Microsoft called SyncToy.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=15155

It allows you to sync / backup folders and I do this for my USB sticks.

So on the PC I have a folder called "8GB Kingston Backup" and I run Sync Toy on a regular basis.

If you would like fully automatic backup to the cloud can recommend Microsoft LiveMesh.

Reply 2 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Via usb not much can be done. You can try disassembling the usb case and hook up the hd via ata or sata to the pc and use some tool as test drive to fix the partition table. You will lose warranty of the usb drive though and no guarantee it will help.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 13, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Via usb not much can be done. You can try disassembling the usb case and hook up the hd via ata or sata to the pc and use some tool as test drive to fix the partition table. You will lose warranty of the usb drive though and no guarantee it will help.

How about a sort of Norton Disk Doctor for USB HD's?

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

My DOS machine: MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium MMX 200MHz, 64MB RAM, AWE64 Gold, 4GB HD, Philips 19" CRT, 3"1/2 Floppy, CDROM, Parallel ZIP, ThrustMaster FLCS+TQL+Elite.

Reply 4 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If you find something like that, be my guest and give us a review. Last time I looked via USB it lacks full control of the hd

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 13, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some USB enclosures may be controlled via ASPI (MHDD has a boot floppy with those drivers), but unfortunately it won't help you past some low level checks.

You better get that drive out of the case and connect directly to your motherboard, to use any other repair tool.

BTW, what has happended exactly? Your drive is detected but doesn't show any files? It shows as unformatted? Or it even is undetected by the OS?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 13, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I agree with removing the drive from the enclosure.
I had a USB hard drive fail, and upon removal, determined the control board inside the enclosure had failed and not the drive itself.

Reply 7 of 13, by Keatah

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

We should take this one step at a time. What does "kaput" mean?

Data recovery is an art as well as a science, but more an art. Depending on exactly how it failed and what it is doing now will determine how we proceed restoring your data.

What happened prior to failure? What make and model? Do you have power to it? Does it make unusual or out-of-the-ordinary noises? Was it dropped? Are we talking a format? File corruption? Partition table corruption?

You have to tell us more! Because just recommending a solution with no information can cause more damage to your files.

Reply 9 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Jwt: very witty but I think the general meaning was clear, but... uhm... too general

Reply 10 of 13, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Keatah wrote:
We should take this one step at a time. What does "kaput" mean? […]
Show full quote

We should take this one step at a time. What does "kaput" mean?

Data recovery is an art as well as a science, but more an art. Depending on exactly how it failed and what it is doing now will determine how we proceed restoring your data.

What happened prior to failure? What make and model? Do you have power to it? Does it make unusual or out-of-the-ordinary noises? Was it dropped? Are we talking a format? File corruption? Partition table corruption?

You have to tell us more! Because just recommending a solution with no information can cause more damage to your files.

Hi.

It's an IOmega LPHD-UP.

When I connect it to the USB port, it powers up (white led lights up). I can hear it spinning up, and it vibrates, so the HD seems to be OK.

A new local disk appears in My Cmputer, but when I click on it, it says I need to format the disk.

Then I click cancel and I get a "Data error (cyclic redundancy check)."

So maybe it's not a hardware problem? (wishful thinking).

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 11 of 13, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jwt27 wrote:
Keatah wrote:

What does "kaput" mean?

translate.google.com/#de|en|kaputt 😉

Very droll. 😜

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 12 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

This confirms that you should seperate usb enclosure and hdd, to find out whether the hdd or the case are broken

Reply 13 of 13, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A few pieces of advice:

1) Don't run chkdsk.

2) Don't run chkdsk !

3) DON'T RUN CHKDSK !!!

4) Use a good data recovery program first:

http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

http://www.data-recovery-software.net/Data_Re … _Download.shtml

5) And if they fail, prepare your wallet for the quite astronomical sums that Data Recovery houses ask for!