Common searches

SB 2.0 CT1350 CMS chips dumped

Topic actions

Reply 380 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nice, glad you solved it ... either way it does not affect operation - the GAL program will still run internally just fine even if the read protection is on

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 381 of 468, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been trying to get a programmed GAL for a CT1350B for a while now, anyone have the ability to program one or know of anyone who does?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 382 of 468, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:

I've been trying to get a programmed GAL for a CT1350B for a while now, anyone have the ability to program one or know of anyone who does?

leileilol?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 383 of 468, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote:

I do. Though ive not done this specific chip before. Just kinda stumbled onto this thread while searching other things. Shoot me a PM

A fixer of things. I also broke those things.

Reply 384 of 468, by dosgamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried the upgrade with a CT1350B Rev. 3 (2.01 DSP and CT1336) and failed miserably. I tried Lattice GAL16V8B-15LP, GAL16V8B-10LP and ST GAL16V8. The GALs programmed and verified successfully on my TL866. I used the SB20C.JED from http://www.vcfed.org/forum/entry.php?328-Clon … HAL-PAL-Part-11

CMSDRV.COM refuses to load. TESTCARD.EXE doesn't detect the card. But digital and FM audio works when testing with DIAGNOSE.EXE.

Should I try a different GAL? Can we make a list of confirmed known working GAL types?

Coppermine Celeron 800 @ 1.12GHz (8x140) - Asus P2B Rev. 1.12 - 256MB PC133 CL2 - Voodoo5 5500 AGP - SB AWE64 CT4520 - Roland SCC-1 - Intel Pro/1000GT - 1.44MB Floppy - ATAPI ZIP 100 - 120GB IDE - DVD-ROM - DVD-R/RW/RAM - Win98SE

Reply 385 of 468, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ive ended up with a rev 3 and rev 5 versions of the 1305b card.

Ive found a these differences in trace layout. 1336A has a few things moved around but these are the only different connections.

1336 pin 28 connects to pin 12 of the 74ls under it.
1336 pin 41 connects to pin 13 of the 74ls under it.

1336A pin 28 connects to pin 13 of the 74ls under it.
1336A pin 41 connected to pin 12 of the 74ls under it.

As you can see the address pins have been flipped around in the revision. Might this cause the incompatibility? Well im going to socket the 74ls and swap the pins and find out.

vicXGKO.jpg
Filename
vicXGKO.jpg
File size
2.24 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
NDySnCC.jpg
Filename
NDySnCC.jpg
File size
3.69 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by goodtofufriday on 2017-04-22, 22:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 387 of 468, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow sharp eye goodtofufriday.
Do the CMS chips work on 1336A with your modification?

The error is quite sever if it's true, they swapped the input and output in one of the XNOR gates:
http://www.skot9000.com/ttl/datasheets/266.pdf

EDIT:
BTW its pins 12 & 13 you swapped in your picture, so it makes not difference in a XNOR gate.
My educated guess is it didn't work.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 388 of 468, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
James-F wrote:
Wow sharp eye goodtofufriday. Do the CMS chips work on 1336A with your modification? […]
Show full quote

Wow sharp eye goodtofufriday.
Do the CMS chips work on 1336A with your modification?

The error is quite sever if it's true, they swapped the input and output in one of the XNOR gates:
http://www.skot9000.com/ttl/datasheets/266.pdf

EDIT:
BTW its pins 12 & 13 you swapped in your picture, so it makes not difference in a XNOR gate.
My educated guess is it didn't work.

Your edit is correct, had the right pins in mind but counted from the wrong side aha. and sadly so is your guess. My hope was that there was something uncommon going on inside the 1336A for it to matter. But doesnt seem so.

While, for some reason CMS wasnt working on any of my cards in my system, even on a 1320c, the 1336A card did not play any adlib/sb sounds. Take out the gal and then it works for adlib/sb again.

Just to have a definitive answer I'm going to socket the 1336 chips and swap them just to see if the end result is the same.

Reply 389 of 468, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the easiest way to tell if the CMS upgrade on my card is working? goodtofufriday sent me a chip and I'm attempting to test it but I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing.

So far I've only tried Silpheed, but I just get no sound at all.

I've edited the game's resource.cfg file to use "CMS.DRV" intead of "ADL.DRV", and I've run the cmsdrv.com program listed earlier. When I run cmsdrv.com it says "Creative Sound Blaster Card Version" and says that program is using IO port 220 and interrupt 80H.

On my card I have the CMSOFF jumper open, the card is set to DRQ1, IRQ7, 220. Adlib sound seems to still work fine if I tell the game to use ADL.DRV instead.

Is there another way I cant test CMS capabilities, just in case its just this game?

Its worth noting that this is on a completely bare Windows 98SE installation, running in pure DOS mode (F8 at startup, choosing command prompt only). Aside from the cmsdrv.com, is anything special required in the autoexec or config.sys to load the CMS features of this card?

I have a CT1350B Rev.3 with a standard CT1336 (not A) chip.

EDIT: Wow, Paku Paku seems to work (have to run paku /cms)! The music sounds much much better than adlib mode, and I do hear sound effects as well. It seems like the music is slightly... slow? But that could be related to the computer I'm running it on (450Mhz P3).

So, I'm not sure what's wrong with Silpheed, but it sounds like the GAL you programmed for me is at least working in Paku Paku goodtofufriday!

Reply 390 of 468, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry for the double post, but I can 100% confirm, the chip programmed by goodtofufriday works perfectly in my CT1350B Rev. 3!

I ran the CMS music player and it will play any .cms tracks from this page.

It sounds amazing! Reminds me a lot of NES music, but better. 😀

I feel quite privileged to have a working CMS setup, as I came upon the card (in original box with all accessories) completely by chance through a local classified ad. It seems like a pretty uncommon thing to have working these days.

Is there a way to compose music to work with CMS? I want to get into composing electronic music and it'd be awesome to be able to add yet another unusual vintage synth option to the arsenal. 😀

Reply 391 of 468, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote:

I ran the CMS music player and it will play any .cms tracks from this page.

Wait! there was a demo with

..super ..happy ..dancing ..bunnies ? Seriously ? 😳

Ozzuneoj wrote:

It sounds amazing! Reminds me a lot of NES music, but better. 😀

Me, too. Though I'm more used to the European NES music, which sounded quite different to the international ones. 😅

Here are a few samples to give an idea :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pDlDVctPRo&f … =youtu.be&t=363
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQtbhy0ljJ0&l … 375FA628B85EF6B

Other nice chip tunes can be found in these games :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbFFS0bnt6w# (GB version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LemJv2iZQoQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVJTyAoSzTM (+Sunsoft 5B)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drwX7MbB_IE (+ VRC7)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAkFq0CKVqc (GB)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 392 of 468, by dosgamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Sorry for the double post, but I can 100% confirm, the chip programmed by goodtofufriday works perfectly in my CT1350B Rev. 3

What kind of Chip is it? What manufacturer? What GAL type (B/C/D)?

Coppermine Celeron 800 @ 1.12GHz (8x140) - Asus P2B Rev. 1.12 - 256MB PC133 CL2 - Voodoo5 5500 AGP - SB AWE64 CT4520 - Roland SCC-1 - Intel Pro/1000GT - 1.44MB Floppy - ATAPI ZIP 100 - 120GB IDE - DVD-ROM - DVD-R/RW/RAM - Win98SE

Reply 393 of 468, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dosgamer wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Sorry for the double post, but I can 100% confirm, the chip programmed by goodtofufriday works perfectly in my CT1350B Rev. 3

What kind of Chip is it? What manufacturer? What GAL type (B/C/D)?

He obtained the chip, so I don't know the specifics, but here is what is on the chip:

*National Semiconductor logo (two wavy lines)* P9252
|AG| GAL16V8A-15LNC

Basically I identical to these but with the slightly different numbering at the top:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GAL16V8A-15LNC-lot-of … J8AAOSwJkJWkw5T

Reply 394 of 468, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to reconfirm:
Tried upgrading my CT1350B (069328 - no written out revision), DSP 2.02, CT1336A which gave me mixed results.
Upgrade fit: CMS works, but AdLib is dead, no matter what the CMSOFF jumper is set to
Upgrade removed: Card works as expected (except that the SoundBlaster part doesn't get autodetected in Wolf3d).

GAL used was an ATF16V8 with 15ns, I also had one from ST which didn't work at all. Also tried the jedec files by ChuckG and Carlostex.

Is this typical?

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 395 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ yes that's what happened to me when the SB2.0 card was the wrong revision... IIRC you need a CT1366 controller, not the "A" version
here is my SB2.0 - a Quickshot rebrand:

hWQ90WFl.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 396 of 468, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I sucessfully upgraded my early CT1350 some time ago and everything since then works like charm. 😁
But I really wished someone could figure out a solution for the "A" models, nevertheless. These models are by far more available.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 398 of 468, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got a programmer, a bit of experience and like to help. But I've got no access to GAL/PAL chips. 😢
Last time when I ordered them from far away, I had to wait many weeks for them to arrive..

//My video channel//