SB 2.0 CT1350 CMS chips dumped

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 468, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maddmaxstar wrote:

Just a heads up, I just got a price quote back from utsource.net, SAA1099P's are 3$ each+shipping and are in stock, plus they take paypal and ship worldwide. Sweet!

Edit: Just ordered a pair, 10$, coming from Singapore. Awesome.

Just a heads up!

The chips get cheaper if you order more. I ordered 20 and the price is 1 dollar per chip. Postage was 6 bucks.

I don't need 20, but might as well 😀

Reply 101 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can anyone suggest a couple of XT games that can be used to test sb/adlib ?
Chuck(G) uses an XT so we need something that runs on it (already trying with paku paku) but a couple more would be nice, personally I don't have any XT-only experiences....

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 102 of 468, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Secret of Monkey Island should work on an XT if you set the command line switches for game blaster sound and the correct video mode

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 103 of 468, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have confirmed that the new JED file works perfectly with a rev 3 and rev 4 CT1350 - gameblaster, digital and Adlib FM all work fine. I used secret of monkey island to test gameblaster & adlib and duke nukem 2 to test adlib and digital.
I'll be sending one to squallstrife to test on a "rev 0" card , he will hopefully get it early next week at the latest.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 107 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

so... SquallStrife did you get the chance to test the new code?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 108 of 468, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Digital and OPL seem to work with the new GAL inserted, but I couldn't test CMS because one of my SAA chips lost a pin. I dropped it, and the pin snapped off while I was trying to straighten it. 🙁

I've ordered some more SAA chips, I will report back when they have arrived.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 109 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nice, that's encouraging! you can replace the pin with another piece of metal or pin easily btw

Reply 110 of 468, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

nice, that's encouraging! you can replace the pin with another piece of metal or pin easily btw

Yeah, I had a go, but there's nothing to solder on to, the entire pin broke off, right up to where it enters the black chip packaging.

Reply 111 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

you can burn it a little to find some metal from the pin, but if you are not feeling comfortable doing that just let it rip 😀

Reply 112 of 468, by genocho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, Btw with a broken leg in a saa chip, you can try to run paku paku or monkey island with cms option. Maybe not sound perfect, but you notice if it sounds (with less channels).
Do you have the cms off jumper on or off ???

Finally if you want to repair that broken leg you can try with this method.
Beeing carefully, with a dremel or something similar, you can make a hole in the broken leg to fin the metal hidden part of the leg, and solder on it a little wire.

Here you can see photos on similar chip, not the same, but you can figure out what iam talking about:

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7194/94446064.jpg

img863.imageshack.us/img863/4782/34220951.jpgç

Keep us informed with the results please,

Regards !!!

Reply 114 of 468, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bad news campers.

This SB2.0 card is totally flaky.

Since that one occasion where I had digital and OPL working, it's gone downhill:

- No digital at all since, even tried different IO and IRQ settings. OPL only since then. 🙁
- With or without the GAL chip in, OPL FM will not work on roughly 3 power-on cycles out of 5.
- I moved the card to a different motherboard, and the system doesn't power up at all with the new GAL installed.
- Without the GAL installed, exhibits same intermittent behaviour as in the other motherboard.

I doubt it's the GAL, it's probably this flaky SB2.

I'm going to send the lot back to DK. Mission failed, guys, I'm sorry to say... 🙁

Reply 115 of 468, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could send the GAL to me if you like? I can test it with my card. The image of the card is on the previous page...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 116 of 468, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Shit! Sorry dude, I didn't see your post till just now.

I already mailed the SB2.0 and both GAL chips to DK.

Reply 117 of 468, by genocho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Just tested the new jed in my rev.0 ct1350 and Iam a little bit.....dissapointed.
This are my settings:

SB IN 220 IRQ5 WITH CMS JUMPER OFF

Well, like that using the sbtest program i have fm music and voice, the test runs perfect. Paku paku with /cms option has no sound at all and monkey island with -g option (gameblaster) have sound with cms, i don´t know if sounds perfect but runs quite well. Games with adlib sound like arkanoid 2, bubble bobble, etc dont have sound at all and hangs the Xt machine. Other games with soundblaster like prince of persia makes the same, no sound at all and the adlib sound is not detected like the taito ones.

So resuming, with the soundblaster test programs showed here in this post, fm and voice works, and games like monkey island can use cms-gameblaster, rest dont show even the option to choose adlib.......

I tried with A240 address in autoexec.bat and nothing change, I dont change the irq..........
Another point, the CMSDRV charges well in INT 80.........

I dont know what more to test or change, maybe irq, I dont know.........

My thougts are about cms sound pissed off the rest of the sound, maybe is an issue in the gal code, maybe a soft problem..........but I think is really close to solve it.

Hope anyone can find the problem.

Regards.

Reply 118 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for testing genocho even if it's bad news... As far as I know Chuck(G) is still working in improving the code

Reply 119 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone heard anything on the matter? Did Chuck(G) made any progress or did he abandoned the project? I can PM him to ask but I don't want to bother him yet if anyone happens to know anything 😉