Common searches

SB 2.0 CT1350 CMS chips dumped

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Robin4: it enables or disables DMA sharing...
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-multi … R-2-0-CT13.html

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 61 of 468, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that:

or the original dumped chip code is not suitable for rev0 (GAL)

I think its a other way switched or so..

I found already a solution.. I swapped that stupid card for a SB 1.5 without troubles.. But hoping a solution for that SB 2.0..

But needed rearange the other cards.. Now i have also space for a large memory board.. 😁

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 62 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am sending Chuck(G) a rev0 + chips to have a look at it when he has time, hopefully we will see a positive update someday 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 63 of 468, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks keropi I was going to contact chuck(g) but it seems you've saved me the trouble 😀

Robin4 can you post a photo of your troublesome CT1350 please? 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 64 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DK, I am sure chuck(g) will get to the bottom of this 😀 he is busy ATM but he has it in queue 😀 let's hope it's an easy thing

AFAIK Robin4's 1350 is rev0 too

Reply 65 of 468, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a feeling its going to be a bug in that revision of the card, not any issue with the GAL code he reverse engineered.... but we'll see what he comes back with 😀

Reply 66 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I doubt it is a bug DK because Amigaz has a rev0 card with the original CMS chips ...
this is his pic:

2qx9dgn.jpg

Reply 67 of 468, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cloudschatze sent his rev.0 board to Chuck(g) to figure out the PAL programming, so perhaps the fault lies elsewhere. It seems doubtful that Creative would use a PAL with different code for the later boards, otherwise, they would need some way to verify with the customer which version they had. In the early 90s, asking a consumer to pull his card out of his system was probably more trouble than its worth!

keropi wrote:
I doubt it is a bug DK because Amigaz has a rev0 card with the original CMS chips ... this is his pic: […]
Show full quote

I doubt it is a bug DK because Amigaz has a rev0 card with the original CMS chips ...
this is his pic:

2qx9dgn.jpg

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 68 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

interesting.... I thought he had another revision to work with... I guess he was occupied in getting CMS to work and did not bother checking the rest functions... even I when I tested my cards just heard some cms goodness and thought all was OK... I too also think there is only one version of the gal, it would be crazy to have different ones back then
... I guess will have to wait and see what Chuck(g) discovers then 😀

Reply 69 of 468, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

keropi... what sort of GAL chip are you using?

On close inspection of my GAL16V8D chips, it appears I have been receiving two types from Futurlec - the middle line on some says 15LP and on others it says 15LPN

I had a quick look at the datasheet and apparently there are some differences, which are beyond my understanding of electronics.

I will be sending the user with the rev 0 card a 15LP to try, as he originally had a 15LPN which he sent back. This may be clutching at straws but I figure its worth a go.

Unfortunately futurlec think they are identical as I've got no choice as to what they send me. utsource never responded to my request for a quote so I'm still looking for a source of the GAL chips.

Reply 70 of 468, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alright, just to clear up some things, as well as add some of my own observations...

The SB2.0 sent to Chuck(G) for the initial PAL mapping and testing is not marked with any revision number, but is assumed to be a later card, and has the following traits:

- Label sticker reads "CT1350A," serial #336334
- Manufactured in the latter half of 1992
- The DMACTL jumper is present

This card seems to have no issues with the programmed GAL chip.

Testing with an older SB2.0, on the other hand, was a little more interesting. This particular card is distinguished as follows:

- PCB marked "CT1350B Rev. 3"
- Label sticker reads "CT1350A"
- Manufactured in 1991
- Lacks the DMACTL jumper.

With the programmed GAL installed in this card, the system will not even boot, yet everything works fine with the original PAL chip installed.

Since the original PAL chip works with both cards, I assume the fault to be with the dumped logic (perhaps relating to the tri-state logic?). I haven't talked with Chuck yet, but am certainly willing to loan out the PAL again, if necessary.

Last edited by Cloudschatze on 2012-04-16, 03:13. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 72 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@ DK:
don't bother sending another chip yet, I have actually both types from you, LP and LPN ... none work with my two CT1350B cards...
also here is the difference between LP and LPN:

v41g.jpg

LPN is just a lead-free chip... nothing that makes a difference in the program included in the chip or how it works.

@Cloudschatze:

here is a pic with my cards, both are 1350B but are labeled as 1350A on the stickers... both with DSP 2.02 (seen on the chips too)

9k2fs0.jpg

in my case the pc boots fine, cms is detected and used fine but sb part does not get detected at all, 8312 is dead and if you manually enter the sb ird/dma/address you do get sfx

Reply 73 of 468, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well according to this datasheet these are the differences:

15LP:
Tpd Tsu Tco Icc
15 12 10 90

15 LPN:
Tpd Tsu Tco Icc
10 10 7 115

I have no idea what this means, but since you've tested both on a rev 0 card I think we can safely assume that its not relevant.

Reply 74 of 468, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just thought I'd add my card which isn't working with the GAL chips. Labelled CT1350B, has a CT1350A sticker.

lkMHJ.jpg
TcAJG.jpg

Whats interesting between my card and keropi's card is look at the resistors underneath the two SAA chips. Not sure if it means anything since I haven't done electronics for over 20 years but the types of resistors used under the chips are all different from both his cards and mine.

*ponder*

Reply 75 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nah I think the resistors are the same, there are some color variations in tones from manufacturer to manufacturer and even if they are different it could mean that they are still inside the limits of the current they want... I see dacow's card has a 2.02 DSP too... that's a SB2 v2.0 IIRC

Reply 76 of 468, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Iam using this card:

36dsc00372.jpg

68dsc00373.jpg

85dsc00374.jpg

Its labled CT-1350A on the back sticker..

Have DMA jumper on PCB..

Mine have DSP V2.02 too.

Reply 77 of 468, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have this card:

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/7184/img0041sz.jpg

But admit that I've installed the original CMS upgrade chips on that card. I do have GAL versions from Germany, but haven't tried them yet. I have two other SB 2.0 cards which are different versions:

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/5494/img0042hm.jpg

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/2982/img0043pt.jpg

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 78 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mau1wurf1977 you don't play fair! 😁 😵 😁 test on the 1350B rev0 your gals!!!! 😊

Reply 79 of 468, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that the GAL have to switch the CMS off. Because.. Normally you have to use the cap on the jumper from CMSOFF.. Then the FM and ADLIB should working again.. if CMSOFF is disabled by enable the cap on the jumper

I think the cards just have 2 circuits and i think the programmed GAL tries to enable everything on the card.. but cant.. by the circuit..
I know i hear a plop sound if it try to enable FM soundblaster, but doesnt work..

I think that if you disable CMS by placing the cap back on the jumper it could working again, or only if the GAL has been removed..too

About that 2 circuitery patern...

I think circuit one could only enable ADLIB / Soundblaster FM and FX together.
And think that circuit two only should enable CMS (gameblaster) and think that the FX doesnt work with the circuitery, but is hust a standalone circuit..