VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How does your wife, girlfriend, or significant other feel about your retro hobby/addiction? If you don't have, have never had, or have no interest in such a companion, please replace your wife, girlfriend, or significant other with your mom.

For me, the wife is always threatening to throw out 'my junk' when I'm away. Good thing it hasn't happened yet. I often have to sneak in retro work when she's not around or I get a sick look. I used to hear this one a lot, "why don't you just buy a new computer?" I sometimes reply, "why do you need 35 colours of nail polish?"

Last edited by feipoa on 2016-05-19, 23:32. Edited 3 times in total.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 27, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

maybe you could have phrased that better... perhaps there are some here that do not have, nor desire a wife or girlfriend 😉

that doesn't apply to me though 😜 Funnily enough the last girl I had over was quite fascinated to see some of the rarer parts of my collection and watch me perform some soldering repairs to an old Amiga board. She's definitely the exception rather than the rule though. Normally I just keep the computer room door closed and since I work in IT, if things progress that far I can explain it away as part of work or training 😜

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 3 of 27, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I left my Xbox & TV at my girlfriends place more for XBMC but she gets jealous when I play games, even though I only do that when I’m waiting for her to get ready to go out when I was ready half hour ago!

She doesn’t mind all the old PC hardware cause its round my place I guess, what she does mind is I use her address for deliveries & she’s the one who has to claim it from the front desk of her student residence.
She doesn’t understand the fascination with old stuff, She got an Ipad but now wants to upgrade to a Ipad2 while my laptop keyboard tends to type 2 letters for every 1 I perss, but it still works!

At least my hardware does its job, some of her shoes don’t even fit properly!

Reply 4 of 27, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DonutKing wrote:

maybe you could have phrased that better... perhaps there are some here that do not have, nor desire a wife or girlfriend 😉

Thats me 😉 . Let's face it, computers are way easier to get along with than an insignificant other... significant other? Whatever.

I could rant on and on but I tend to make a lot of enemies when I get on this subject so I'll stop for now.

Reply 6 of 27, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, if fate will have it. One way or the other, then my next girlfriend will probably love that I enjoy playing on old computers and what not. As long there is enough love for her.

Reply 7 of 27, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sgt76 wrote:

No such problems here. Anything that keeps me away from hookers and beer keeps her happy.

Yeah I keep my fully stocked bar at home so if I want a top shelf shot of Petrone then I can just get one 😀

As for the hookers, well, I prefer to stay out of my local jail, it's not like my RL lockpicking skills are anything like they are in Skyrim 😜

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 8 of 27, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As for the hookers, well, I prefer to stay out of my local jail, it's not like my RL lockpicking skills are anything like they are in Skyrim

prostitution is legal where I live. In fact there are two legal brothels on the same street near a local McDonalds and petrol station. They have signs, red flashing lights, everything. I'm not a patron, they're just really hard to miss 😀

Reply 9 of 27, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nemesis wrote:
DonutKing wrote:

Thats me 😉 . Let's face it, computers are way easier to get along with than an insignificant other... significant other? Whatever.

I could rant on and on but I tend to make a lot of enemies when I get on this subject so I'll stop for now.

This. Females are WAYYYY over rated and not worth the trouble or expense ESPECIALLY if you have hobbies that take up large amounts of space in the house.

Reply 10 of 27, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
nemesis wrote:
DonutKing wrote:

This. Females are WAYYYY over rated and not worth the trouble or expense ESPECIALLY if you have hobbies that take up large amounts of space in the house.

Single guy spotted.

Just kidding 🤣

Reply 11 of 27, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:
sliderider wrote:
nemesis wrote:

Single guy spotted.

Just kidding 🤣

Single for life. I've had enough female drama to last 3 lifetimes. The only thing anyone needs to know about women is if you see one walking towards you, cross over to the other side of the street.

Reply 12 of 27, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

your wife, girlfriend, or significant other

Haven't had a girlfriend in nearly 15 years. Though 2 years ago one person did threaten to kill me if I didn't stay away from his. Does that count for anything?

Reply 13 of 27, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seems like the topic has gotten off-track. I have added this line to the original post,

I you don't have, have never had, or have no interest in such a companion, please replace your wife, girlfriend, or significant other with your mom.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 14 of 27, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was actually referring to female or homosexual members with my comment... but I guess people who abstain from relationships are covered by that too 😀

Reply 15 of 27, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DonutKing wrote:

I was actually referring to female or homosexual members with my comment... but I guess people who abstain from relationships are covered by that too 😀

Does being a male lesbian count? 😵

Reply 16 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My mother did not like my collection habit but she let me do my thing. My former gf's didn't like my house having computer parts all over the place and that's why I put "everything" (lol 😜) in the attic.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 27, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DonutKing wrote:

I did understand what you meant by your former post, cause for me analysing posts are one of my hobbies.

So to all the gay members (political correct term for both genders who prefer their own gender over the other) . What do your spouse/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend think of your collection of computer parts ?

Reply 18 of 27, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

I you don't have, have never had, or have no interest in such a companion, please replace your wife, girlfriend, or significant other with your mom.

Try again. I had to hire a lawyer to deal with my mother and haven't spoken to her in 6 or 7 years.

Reply 19 of 27, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:
feipoa wrote:

Try again. I had to hire a lawyer to deal with my mother and haven't spoken to her in 6 or 7 years.

Shit, and I thought I had a hard time with my sister and mother every now and then ? I am sorry to hear that.