VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm curious what people here might think are features that they wish certiain games had, since so many games these days get popular mods for simple issues. Like the flashlight mod in Doom 3. These days I'm wishing for the ability to save and load games during combat in Heroes of Might and Magic. And every time I fire up a classic Infocom game I sorely miss the more sophisticated parsers of modern text adventures.

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.

Reply 1 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wish games were easy to mod 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 17, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The ability to save game in a flightsim, during flight.

Alright, call me a wimp. 😜

(you'll find me saving a lot before landing, of course)

Reply 4 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Generally? Given that it's relatively trivial to back up saved game files, I see no excuse for a limited number of save slots anymore, and indeed, that seems to show up kind of rarely. However, a game with unlimited same slots ought to be able to provide more information about a given saved game to help keep things organized.

Hater Depot wrote:

And every time I fire up a classic Infocom game I sorely miss the more sophisticated parsers of modern text adventures.

You don't use WinFrotz?

Reply 6 of 17, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wish more games had highly-customizable graphics settings and controls, as well as n00b-friendly map/mod editors and decent multiplayer bots.

Also, interactive tutorials detailing how to strategize/trickjump/whatever would be good too.

Reply 7 of 17, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would like to see The Elder Scrolls games' freedom of movement and freedom to do what I want, in 3rd-person adventure/rpg games like Quest for Glory series.

I would like to see the Ultima VII's level of "if you can see it, you can manipulate it" level of interactivity. If I can see a chair I should be able to sit on it or shove it against a door to block the entrance.

I always wonder what if they did all the above in a game like Quest for Glory and fill a whole CD-ROM with datas that help in realizing these possibilities. Imagine able to pick locks in those non-functional buildings in-between the Dragon's Breath bar and the grocery store. Imagine able to climb and break into the castle. Imagine more spells and able to burn the baba yaga hut with loads of fireball spells!

Sadly, nowadays, most of the DVD spaces are filled up with graphics as eye candies, rather than useful codes that enhance gameplay components. And that too it's the same old run and shoot. Sigh.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 8 of 17, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malik wrote:
I would like to see The Elder Scrolls games' freedom of movement and freedom to do what I want, in 3rd-person adventure/rpg game […]
Show full quote

I would like to see The Elder Scrolls games' freedom of movement and freedom to do what I want, in 3rd-person adventure/rpg games like Quest for Glory series.

I would like to see the Ultima VII's level of "if you can see it, you can manipulate it" level of interactivity. If I can see a chair I should be able to sit on it or shove it against a door to block the entrance.

I always wonder what if they did all the above in a game like Quest for Glory and fill a whole CD-ROM with datas that help in realizing these possibilities. Imagine able to pick locks in those non-functional buildings in-between the Dragon's Breath bar and the grocery store. Imagine able to climb and break into the castle. Imagine more spells and able to burn the baba yaga hut with loads of fireball spells!

Sadly, nowadays, most of the DVD spaces are filled up with graphics as eye candies, rather than useful codes that enhance gameplay components. And that too it's the same old run and shoot. Sigh.

This sounds like the classic arguement of "quantity" vs "quality". That said, I agree. Where is all the extra functionality that games were supposed to be bringing? I think a little inovation wouldn't kill anyone, but what do I know.

Reply 9 of 17, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
Hater Depot wrote:

And every time I fire up a classic Infocom game I sorely miss the more sophisticated parsers of modern text adventures.

You don't use WinFrotz?

I do, and it's great, but I'm talking about the language the game understands. Like the abbreviation of X for EXAMINE, and many other niceties.

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.

Reply 10 of 17, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Call me a packrat, but when playing Fallout 3 or New Vegas I want to pickup the trash or clutter as it's called.

There are some mods that get rid of said clutter but I would rather packrat it and have recipes to convert/recycle this trash 😉

Also in games like Just Cause 2 or Saints Row the Third, the destruction should not be limited to just some things, I mean I want to destroy the entire landscape and leave it pitted and barren, why can't I get a world destroyer simulator 😁

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 11 of 17, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

Seconded. During those days, I also hoped that CD-ROM would bring the things you mentioned. Imagine playing Quest for Glory in a world as large as Britannia. Or how about stealing armor in Trinsic and get berated by Lord British several days later, because the news of your misdeed has eventually reached the king? How about Ultima NPCs that act more like real people, instead of obviously showing the script behind their actions?

Too bad CD ROM and Pentium processor never went into that direction. 🙁

Reply 13 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Glide support

It was 1998, I was naive and I wanted glide support in every game so they can be bilinear filtered to 640x480 and draw a cool yellow or orange lens flare or two at 60hz.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any game should have the ability to pause and save at any time. I hate games that don't allow you to stop the action so you can take a rest/toilet break and I also hate games that have "save points" instead of allowing you to just save anyplace. It sucks to be half way between save points at bedtime or when it's close to time for you to be doing more important things because you either have to lose whatever progress you made since the last save or soldier on to the next one and be late doing whatever it is you should be doing other than playing games.

Reply 15 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Eh, save points have their place. There's something to be said for the way that saving-anywhere can devastate the level of challenge.

But I suppose at least some limited ability to stop anywhere and pick up from where you left off is important too, as you describe – even a DS can be put into sleep mode.

Reply 17 of 17, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Calvero wrote:

I wish in Prehistorik 2 pressing the Escape key would bring up a menu, instead of exiting to DOS without a warning.

I wish pressing the CTRL key(!!) didn't do the same thing in Ninja Mission...

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]