VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi people,

Today I've wasted several hours of my life thanks to Microsoft, ASUS and UEFI (in no particular order), so I'm going to explain it here to help anyone who has this same problem in the future.

I was installing a computer with an ASUS P8H61-M LX mainboard for a friend, with a 3 TB hard disk, so I decided to go with GPT to have the full capacity of the disk in one partition.

I booted WinPE and used imagex.exe to apply a standard Windows 7 wim image that I maintain updated and configured with essential software (antivirus, lav video codecs, adobe reader, etc.).

Afterwards, I executed the bcdboot.exe tool to populate the EFI ESP partition and copied the BCD database and all the folder structure to the path recommended by Microsoft:

\efi\microsoft\boot

Then I rebooted and entered the BIOS, innocently hoping that I could specify the path to the Microsoft boot manager (bootmgfw.efi).

Guess what? ASUS does not offer any option to select the path to the boot manager. I've seen this possibilty offered in other EFI mainboards, but ASUS has decided, in their infinite wisdom, that the user will not have any way of manually selecting a boot manager 🙁

So I was stuck, and started searching for a way to get the computer to boot. I found this command line that seemed very promising:

bcdedit.exe /store s:\efi\microsoft\boot\bcd /set {FWbootmgr} displayorder {Bootmgr} /addfirst

Microsoft says you can use it to update your mainboard's NVRAM boot options and set the Microsoft's boot manager as the first entry.

That's exactly what I want! So I booted into WinPE again and tried the command... but it failed 🙁

An error occurred while attempting to reference the specified entry.
The system cannot find the file specified.

I spent a great deal of time searching for an answer in google but found nothing. I saw people asking the same question, receiving either no answer or worse, useless answers.

Finally, I tried booting from an original Windows 7 CD, and selected the UEFI CD boot in the BIOS boot menu.

In the very first screen, I pressed Shift+F10 to enter a command prompt, and then tried the same command again:

bcdedit /store s:\efi\microsoft\boot\bcd /set {FWbootmgr} displayorder {Bootmgr} /addfirst

And this time it worked!! Sucess!! Yeaaah!! I could finally boot into Windows. 😀

Conclusions: the bcdedit.exe behaves differently depending on the type of boot:

If you boot WinPE using MBR code, bcdedit.exe will FAIL to update the mainboard's NVRAM.

If you boot WinPE using UEFI code, bcdedit.exe will SUCCEED updating the mainboard's NVRAM.

It seems easy and logical, but it's not mentioned anywhere in the documentation, and Microsoft doesn't warn you about this!

So, after this lenghty rant, you may be wondering: why did you mention Microsoft's disregard of standards?

Well, it seems that UEFI says you should place your boot manager in the EFI ESP partition at this location:

\EFI\boot\

And then you should name the bootmanager "bootx64.efi" or "bootx86.efi" depending on which architecture your processor has.

If Microsoft had used that location, then the ASUS mainboard would have automatically detected the boot manager, and would have presented it in the boot menu. But thanks to Microsoft's utter disregard of standards, it did not find the boot manager in the place it was looking for.

So, to make a long story short: I hate Microsoft for ignoring the standard, but I also hate ASUS for not giving the user a way to select the path manually at least!

Kind regards.

Reply 1 of 11, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, you hate Microsoft for not following standards, and you also hate Asus because they follow standards? Anyway, i think that the whole UEFI thing was just made to make people more confused and less likely to install alternative operating systems...

8zszli-6.png

Reply 2 of 11, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had endless problems just trying to install Windows 7 on my Asus P8Z68-M Pro board. Changing the hard drives from AHCI mode back to IDE mode did the trick, even though I was previously using AHCI on my P55 based board without any problems. So yeah, not a fan.

I think the only vendor that's done EFI successfully so far has been Apple? The perks of controlling the hardware and software I suppose.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 3 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have UEFI on my Asrock H61DEL board and didn't encounter any issues.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 11, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

Maybe it's just Asus' implementation then... *shrugs*

Just curious, did you try using AHCI and allocating only the first 2TB in a non-GPT partition type ???

I would like to know if this made a difference or not and would indicate that there are some problems using UEFI and GPT bootable partitions perhaps 😉

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 7 of 11, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

My boot drive is a 30GB SSD... 😉

Well that changes things, you were really after using the entire 3TB as a single GPT data partition then.

I guess this is something to consider when building a new box using a UEFI mobo.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 8 of 11, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nah, my biggest disk is 1TB. I still don't like UEFI on my PC! 😁

It's OK on my Mac though, works rather well in fact. 😉

Reply 9 of 11, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You hate Microsoft for disregarding the UEFI standard in Windows 7 when they KNEW, ADMITTED, and INTENTIONALLY NOT make Windows 7 UEFI compliant?
Windows 8 will be Microsoft's first true UEFI compliant OS. Windows 7's support barely works, and they knew this... that's why there is very little documentation on making it work and the install discs doesn't boot into UEFI mode by default!

it's analogous to Windows 98's ACPI support... it was crappy and if you wanted ACPI mode, you had to force it using a command line option when you ran setup.exe

Reply 10 of 11, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMAN wrote:

Windows 7's support barely works, and they knew this... that's why there is very little documentation on making it work and the install discs doesn't boot into UEFI mode by default!

It's just a wrapper that lets bootmgr start isn't it?

Reply 11 of 11, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Aideka wrote:

So, you hate Microsoft for not following standards, and you also hate Asus because they follow standards? Anyway, i think that the whole UEFI thing was just made to make people more confused and less likely to install alternative operating systems...

ASUS leaves a lot to be desired in their implementation of UEFI. As I mentioned, I've seen many other BIOS which let you specify the path to the boot manager (either using a graphical explorer-like window, or typing the path into a textbox).

Come on, it's not that hard for them to implement the feature! I think they are just being stingy and pissing off some of their customers (those brave enough to tinker with UEFI at this early stage).

TheMAN wrote:

You hate Microsoft for disregarding the UEFI standard in Windows 7 when they KNEW, ADMITTED, and INTENTIONALLY NOT make Windows 7 UEFI compliant?

Yes, I hate them for that. I applaud Microsoft when they release updates that add support for new hardware free of charge (like the update to bluetooth in vista, the update to support WPA2 encryption in WinXP, the update to support USB 2.0 in WinXP, etc).

But I hate them when they force you to upgrade (pay money) in order to obtain support for new hardware.

I've always thought that it's fair to ask for money for new features, but I think it's unfair to ask for money to support new and recent hardware when their product is still being sold (or has been superceded only recently).

I understand that they cannot keep updating and maintaining old operating systems forever, but, come on, Windows 7 is not that old!!

Regards.