l33t++

http://blogs.computerworld.com/19591/sopa_pip … _to_go_dark_j18

Reply 1 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm

Usually I don't care about such things, but with this one I don't like that the platform is used for politics. I also wasn't asked if I (part of the Wikipedia community?) agrees with this.

But yea, it's just one day...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 17, by maddmaxstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Going for 24hrs without Wikipedia might put me into withdrawl... but at least it's for a good cause. Any sort of bill that wishes to restrict the internet in any way is just bollocks. There's something similar going on in Canada called Bill C-10, the Cons are trying to ram through an Omnibus crime bill that originally included an online spying platform, which after a large petition, apparently has been removed, but I doubt the idea will be dead for as long as the right wingers have power up here.

= Phenom II X6 1090T(HD4850) =
= K7-550(V3-3000) =
= K6-2+ 500(V3-2000) =
= Pentium 75 Gold(Voodoo1) =
= Am486DX4-120(3DXpression+) =
= TI486DLC-40(T8900D) =
= i386sx-16+i387(T8900D) =

Reply 4 of 17, by redblade7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Is there really anyone left who seriously supports SOPA anymore and isn't delusional?

I think they gutted out most of the nasty parts in one of the houses, including only allowing King B. Hussein Osama to shut down foreign-hosted sites, though the other house has the original language. But it doesn't matter, he's been doing it anyway (and shredding evidence too).

I'm very happy Wikipedia is shutting down, and am especially happy that they only chose the English language pages, to emphasize America's alleged "land of the free" status. With Wikipedia shut down, at least the elite's kids will be whining.

-redblade7

Rogue Central @ coredumpcentral.org

Reply 5 of 17, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Hmmm

Usually I don't care about such things, but with this one I don't like that the platform is used for politics. I also wasn't asked if I (part of the Wikipedia community?) agrees with this.

That's kind of the point. To show what could happen. To get people to protest the bill.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 6 of 17, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

lol

as of right now, wikipedia's blackout page has a "learn more" link to their SOPA Initiative page... which blacks out just like all other wikipedia pages when you click on it.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 9 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MusicallyInspired wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Hmmm

That's kind of the point. To show what could happen. To get people to protest the bill.

Except that Wikipedia is in little of danger of being firewalled unless they started hosting illegal files or streaming copyrighted material, which is what the bills are about, so Wikipedia going down for a day really makes no statement at all. It's a site like Youtube with all the people who have uploaded copyrighted videos and falsely declaring free use that would really be in trouble. They would end up having to delete millions of videos and be able to keep on top of every new upload to make sure it doesn't violate copyrights which would mean having to ban accounts of repeat offenders in order to keep the site from being blocked.

Reply 10 of 17, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually, you could get some book and film companies complain about Wikipedia also, due to the posted detailed synopsis on a entry. Would they be correct in doing so, no, but with a shoot first and ask questions later set of laws in place could risk doing damage to Wikipedia also. What I did not like about the Wikipedia protest thing was the whole "donate money to us and we will do it" thing. I always kinda felt that part of the protesting process was suffering for your beliefs. Being paid to do it kinda makes the act itself rather moot.

I'd also like to point out, Wikipedias black out is easily beaten by just kliking refresh, then stop on the page you wish to view, so its not even a effective black out unless the person trying to view the content is a state senator or a moron.

Reply 11 of 17, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That Guy With The Glasses is also down.

Oddly Google only placed a bar over their logo, YouTube and Livestream are both unchanged. Each of which are easily 95% copyrighted material.

Reply 12 of 17, by maddmaxstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ProfessorProfessorson wrote:

I'd also like to point out, Wikipedias black out is easily beaten by just kliking refresh, then stop on the page you wish to view, so its not even a effective black out unless the person trying to view the content is a state senator or a moron.

Also, as leileilol pointed out, the NoScript browser plugin stops the blackout popup javascript from even loading, so you can view and browse around Wikipedia without even doing anything special.

= Phenom II X6 1090T(HD4850) =
= K7-550(V3-3000) =
= K6-2+ 500(V3-2000) =
= Pentium 75 Gold(Voodoo1) =
= Am486DX4-120(3DXpression+) =
= TI486DLC-40(T8900D) =
= i386sx-16+i387(T8900D) =

Reply 15 of 17, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is based on Javascript. It is as simple as turning off your Javascript before loading the page.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 16 of 17, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Three websites I tried to visit today, none of which had anything to do with each other, and one of which was indeed Wikipedia, were all blacked out. :|

I don't support the SOPA bill, but having read the actual contents of the bill I really feel people are overreacting to it. The bill itself is an overinflated, partially contradictory, tax-dollar wasting mess that I seriously doubt could ever be properly enforced, and since it contains a provision that prevents it from being used to suppress a US citizen's constitutional rights (such as free speech), any abuse of the bill to "censor" the internet would likely lead to court battles that would lead to new case laws which would ultimately make the bill useless, especially considering there are massive companies like Google who would be more than capable of fighting any ridiculousness that results from it.

Seriously, the attempts which were made to make game developers/publishers responsible for real life violence inspired by their games received far less attention but were a heck of a lot more threatening. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 17 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:

The bill itself is an overinflated, partially contradictory, tax-dollar wasting mess that I seriously doubt could ever be properly enforced, and since it contains a provision that prevents it from being used to suppress a US citizen's constitutional rights (such as free speech), any abuse of the bill to "censor" the internet would likely lead to court battles that would lead to new case laws which would ultimately make the bill useless, especially considering there are massive companies like Google who would be more than capable of fighting any ridiculousness that results from it.

The problem is, despite all that it is still being seriously considered. Apparently?

US politics are messed up.