VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I want to migrate over to SSD, because my 3.5" HDD makes too much noise. I'm familiar with CF drives, but not SSDs. For testing purposes, I like CF drives because you can easily push & pull them on & off their host adapter. Is this ease of docking and removal of a CF drive the same with SSDs?

Reply 1 of 6, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How about something like this, can hold one or two SATA interface SSD's in the carrier.

This bay fits into a standard 3.5 Inch Floppy Bay.

http://www.cru-dataport.com/products/DataPort-25-SATA.php

I don't think there has ever been a 3.5 Inch Form Factor SSD made, they are all 2.5" Form Factors like Notebook HDD's are.

In case you are looking for an IDE Interface type, they have that too.

http://www.cru-dataport.com/products/DataPort-25-IDE.php

But I do not think there are any IDE interface SSD's any longer, there may not have ever been so you would have to use an IDE2SATA Interface adapter which then negates being able to use the above carriers.

Last edited by BigBodZod on 2012-01-22, 21:26. Edited 1 time in total.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 3 of 6, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yeah, you can't "hot-swap" SSDs.

also - depending on what you mean by "migrate", it may or may not be wise, given that the lifetime of Flash SSD media is limited (strictly by R/W cycles).

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 4 of 6, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:

yeah, you can't "hot-swap" SSDs.

You can, as long as the host interface and OS support AHCI.

Of course if we're talking about SATA<->IDE adaptors and DOS, then you don't have that functionality.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 5 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've actually had some luck "hot swapping" SSDs in a completely improper way, ie without AHCI.

You see, some mobos will set the ATA Security of ATA drives to Locked on POST. If you want to secure erase a drive, this is a show stopper. The way to reset this state is to pull the power plug when the system is booted up and then re-power the drive. Linux and DOS seem to tolerate this alright. But I certainly wouldn't count on data safety, especially if you have any write behind caching in use.

Reply 6 of 6, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

true, if the BIOS doesn't detect a powered drive at boot-up it cannot be locked - but I'd only do such a thing as a last resort for erasing the drive.... at which point data safety would be moot. Almost, anyway.

can't wait for non-Flash based SSD technology to become mainstream. PRAM looks promising, but what do I know.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]