VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, so get ready to laugh... I never beat quake when it came out. I remember always getting the first 3 runes but never much after that. Usually lost my hard drive alot back then due to tinkering too much or just loosing interest.

Anyways using my P3 rig I'm using ProQuake 4.51. I played on easy (yes I'm lazy!) and got the 4 runes. Upoon the 4th rune it said I needed to play on nightmare to get to the last boss then kicked me to the main gate with the 4th ep locked off. Now I know its on a very hard mode now which I assume is nightmare mode and just about done with ep.2.

Is this normal to go through easy then get kicked into nightmare mode or maybe something about ProQuake messing with me?

Love the winProQuake_API Software rendered look. Just getting ProGLQuake dialed in (-width 1024 -bpp 16 -gamma .7 -dinput). Also very nice that I ripped my Audio tracks to mp3 and ProQuake plays them.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 1 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only unusual message it'll tell you is if you didn't pick up the last rune. It'll remind you that you forgot something important.

Once all four runes are obtained a hole in the floor will open in the start level. This will lead to the last boss.

I do not recall a nightmare difficulty tease. Proquake addition? Probably. I never used that engine.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 13, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah nightmare mode is hidden a bit, fall into the water but hug the wall so you land on top of the beam, then you can follow it around to a hole in the wall which leads to nightmare difficulty.

as for the teaser thing, this is definitely a proquake thing, and not in the dos or gl version of quake, nor is it in dark places (the engine I prefer).

Reply 4 of 13, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Proquake is certainly messing with you 😜
Not that you're missing much, the final boss/level ain't something spectacular... I highly recommend you play the two official mission packs if you want something similar to the Quake SP.
Especially the first one is very good, the second one is ok for the most part, but it just doesn't add anything new other than variations on the enemies and weapons.

Reply 5 of 13, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been playing the original Quake games, plus the two add-on packs as well. I kind of did them out of order- I beat Quake and Dissolution of Eternity, but didn't complete Scourge of Armagon yet. I got all the way to one of the last levels and then ended up somehow deleting my savegame. I really loved the laser gun add on.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 9 of 13, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks all.

I know about the location of Nightmare mode but didn't think it was right to be sent there after playing on easy!

Luckily I didn't overwrite my savegame of the last few levels. This time using GL Proquake with that save I was able to get to the final boss which like alot of games is a let down. The Win ProQuake api must have some bug to punish me like that. Maybe I'll see if it repeats the issue with that client.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 10 of 13, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wasted so much ammo on Shub-Niggurath when I first got to her/it. "Why won't it die??" 🤣

“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi

Reply 11 of 13, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did the same damn thing the first time on that level. Used up all my ammo before figuring out I had to basically telefrag it to kill it. Lots of gibs bouncing during ending cinamatic. Used original quake, never did care for GL quake.

Reply 12 of 13, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried that Tenebrae engine with Quake once, made it look a little too much like Doom 3, IMHO. It was kinda cool though. Every time I use GLQuake, I get a flickering Hud display where the numbers for your ammo and health are. I was also running it in 3dfx mode, so maybe it just doesn't like how the drivers are set. I agree though, classic Quake is the bomb! The way Id meant it from the start.

Reply 13 of 13, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I went through the whole game with DarkPlaces and got to the boss and I was like "What the heck is this thing?" Quake was freaking weird. Too weird for me. Never liked it.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.