VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How interchangable are the drivers in SCI games? For example, Quest for Glory 3 does not include the driver for CMS sound. If I were to move the CMS.DRV file from QFG1 into the QFG3 folder and select it in the install, should this allow me to use CMS sound in the game?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 1 of 2, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Swapping drivers between SCI games is really hit or miss. Usually the games will lock up on start or will give memory errors. In the case of MIDI drivers, you may encounter incompatibilities with the embedded patch resource. The game may quit complaining of the missing patch file or may give the wrong instruments/sounds.

Some may seem to work, but can have problems during game play. For example, to over come the initialization speed bug error by replacing the Sierra SB driver in QfG1VGA with certain later versions can cause endless looping of some the digital sound effects. This does not mean that it can never be done, but unless a driver is specified for any given game, don't count on it. If you want to try, you are more likely to have success if you swap between games of the same year and or interpreter versions.

There are after market driver updates released by Sierra for specific games and there are patcher utilities for some problems, like the initialization error (GOSiERRA and SBSIERRA, not to mention the MIDI port changer). There are also some fan made drivers from Ravi and a Sierra GM driver appended with the SB part from the Sierra MTBLAST.DRV. Note the add in GM drivers usually come with a patch file to map the instruments for the intended game. I have all of these drivers and utilities on my site.

One last note, if you try to use the install program to configure a game with a driver that did not ship with the game, it may error out and quit. You will need to edit the INSTALL.HLP file to add the proper entry for the unlisted driver or you will need to manually edit the RESOURCE.CFG.

Last edited by collector on 2012-02-18, 06:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 2, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If they're from the same SCI version than they should be compatible with a few exceptions. The only real way to find out is to test, though. For instance, the VGA SCI1 games do not come with a Tandy 3-voice driver. However, if you take the Tandy 3-voice driver from the EGA versions (meant for Tandy's) and put it into the VGA game directory, select it with resource.cfg it will work because the sound resources are the same and are meant to support it. Similarly, many SCI0 games (especially in collection bundles) do not come with Tandy drivers either, but if you take it from the disk releases it will still work.

In fact, sometimes using this method will overcome certain problems. The later MT-32/CM-32L driver from SCI0 games correct some of the issues with the older MT-32 driver with older SCI0 games. This is a common fix for owners of the CM-64/CM-500 module trying to play older Sierra MT-32 games and having odd instruments or sound effects playing. The later driver meant for MT-32/CM-32L/CM-64 silences these instruments. I think it was with one of the Hoyle games.

I've experimented with this in the past as well as swapping PATCH files for the Adlib drivers. Listening to games with an instrument listing from another was quite fun 🤣. Sometimes with really cool results and sometimes with horrible results.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.