VOGONS

Common searches

Humour Thread: Outrageously priced retro gear for sale online

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 180 of 1353, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Didn't know trident cards were so expensive.

That's not just any Trident card, though... it's a Trident card for an Autocon CNC machine.

Sure it looks like a regular cheap Trident card, and it works the same, and is in fact identical in every way to a regular Trident card, and could almost certainly be easily replaced by any other ISA VGA card. But because it has that Autocon sticker on it, you can automatically inflate its actual value by a few thousand percent, because it's an 'official part' for that machine.

Reply 181 of 1353, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

That's not just any Trident card, though... it's a Trident card for an Autocon CNC machine.

Sure it looks like a regular cheap Trident card, and it works the same, and is in fact identical in every way to a regular Trident card, and could almost certainly be easily replaced by any other ISA VGA card. But because it has that Autocon sticker on it, you can automatically inflate its actual value by a few thousand percent, because it's an 'official part' for that machine.

Ah, gotcha. The Autocon sticker looks pretty damn easy to replicate. Maybe I should sell all my trident cards with an additional "feature" 😈

Reply 182 of 1353, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not quite that simple. You also need to make sure you have a professional-sounding username and list a bunch of other industrial type stuff in an eBay storefront to really sell the image. 🤣

Don't get your hopes up, though. With this sort of industrial equipment market, you can charge pretty much whatever you want for the part, and if somebody happens to need it, they will pay what you're asking. The trick is, though, that at any given point, there are approximately zero people in the world who need that particular part. That's where vendors like wiredforservice and it_equipment_xpress come from... they stock as many random things as they possibly can, all at obscene prices, with the hopes that somebody, somewhere, will happen to need at least one of them.

Reply 183 of 1353, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

It's not quite that simple. You also need to make sure you have a professional-sounding username and list a bunch of other industrial type stuff in an eBay storefront to really sell the image. 🤣

Don't get your hopes up, though. With this sort of industrial equipment market, you can charge pretty much whatever you want for the part, and if somebody happens to need it, they will pay what you're asking. The trick is, though, that at any given point, there are approximately zero people in the world who need that particular part. That's where vendors like wiredforservice and it_equipment_xpress come from... they stock as many random things as they possibly can, all at obscene prices, with the hopes that somebody, somewhere, will happen to need at least one of them.

This is why pre-Pentium motherboards are so expensive. There's still a lot of old industrial equipment out there with 8086, 286, 386, or 486 motherboards controlling them and the software that controls them only works under DOS or Windows 3.x and the software is sensitive to CPU speed so you have to replace them with comparable parts if you want to keep them running. This is also why I grab any old motherboard like this that is being sold for a low price because I know I can always resell it for a profit later if I have to.

Reply 187 of 1353, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Holy crap I can't believe somebody paid this much for this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/rare-NexGen-PCI-mothe … =p2047675.l2557

Nexgen motherboard with RAM and the not-as-rare-as-you-think-it-is P90 rated nx586. Granted, it's the PCI motherboard which is a bit rarer than the VL-bus but not rare enough to justify that price.

Oh, in case the link breaks the final price was 365AUD with 15 bids. Wow! I should list mine on ebay Australia.

Reply 189 of 1353, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
3Dude wrote:

OK the computer (Compaq deskpro 286e Model 2520) is quite interesting but the price is just silly (US $1,999.99).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980s-compaq-deskpro- … =item43be8cd9f9

Still probably not quite what it cost new back in the 1980's. Wait 20 more years.

If this vintage computer collecting frenzy continues on for the next 20 years, I'll probably retire fairly rich, that is, if I can bring myself to see the stuff. My kids will probably scrap it after I die anyway.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 190 of 1353, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jan3Sobieski wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111151385350

It's from a CNC machine. Most companies wouldn't mind paying $175 to immediately get their ancient machinery running again. Paying someone to figure out which $5 graphics card will work (with the machine itself being out of order for several days) costs even more.

edit: ah, the unread posts icon took me to the previous page, making me think that was the last post.

Reply 194 of 1353, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maniac Mansion (Big Box) - $124.95

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maniac-Mansion-Lucasf … =item53fee98dfc

I own a Maniac Mansion (big box) I bought from Babbages back in the 90's. Considering how popular this game was back in the day I find it absurd how this guy deems this with such a high price tag.

For some damn stupid reason people always use eBay as either A) a price guide or B) a rarity list. People need to remember/acknowledge that just because something is "rare" on eBay (doesn't show up often) does NOT mean that an item is actually rare itself.

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.

Reply 195 of 1353, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhaytalError wrote:

Maniac Mansion (Big Box) - $124.95

For some damn stupid reason people always use eBay as either A) a price guide or B) a rarity list. People need to remember/acknowledge that just because something is "rare" on eBay (doesn't show up often) does NOT mean that an item is actually rare itself.

Not to mention it's not in very good condition and is missing 2 of the pack in items. He can probably get about 15.00 for it in reality.

Reply 196 of 1353, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shagittarius wrote:

Not to mention it's not in very good condition and is missing 2 of the pack in items. He can probably get about 15.00 for it in reality.

Exactly. 😀

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.

Reply 197 of 1353, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
Mobility Radeon 7500 AGP […]
Show full quote

Mobility Radeon 7500 AGP

http://www.bluewaveteck.com/diablotek-mobilit … phics-card.html

Only $1322.88

Radeon x300

http://www.bluewaveteck.com/computer-systems/ … phics-card.html

$1795.48

Scheisse. 🤣 Aside from the Geforce FX 5200, the Radeon X300 is probably one of the most common "scrap" video cards I've ever seen. Granted, it's actually an alright card for a Pentium 4 box, but it's nothing terribly special.

Reply 198 of 1353, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sealed MS DOS 3.3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221298371949 --- $1,200 🤣 😵

Reply 199 of 1353, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Take a look at Supermicro P6SBA motherboards on ebay. The pricing is crazy for some reason and people seem to be purchasing them. Its just a run of the mill 440BX ATX motherboard, nothing special at all. No crazy overclocking, no onboard SCSI. It even has the infamous AMI WinBIOS. Does anyone know if this board happened to be used in some special piece of equipment? I have one, perhaps I should sell it.