VOGONS

Common searches

Humour Thread: Outrageously priced retro gear for sale online

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 380 of 1353, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think this guy's being serious with the $9,999 asking price for this P4 Dell computer, but it's still a hilarious read nonetheless.
http://nashville.craigslist.org/sys/4654689715.html

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 381 of 1353, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sutekh94 wrote:

I don't think this guy's being serious with the $9,999 asking price for this P4 Dell computer, but it's still a hilarious read nonetheless.
http://nashville.craigslist.org/sys/4654689715.html

hahahah. "$25 would be a reasonable offer" 🤣

I wonder if his sense of humor would extend to being paid in pennies or something else obtuse like that. 😲

Reply 383 of 1353, by TwOne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm.. Pentium 4's with a double stamp you say?
$999.999,99 it is.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOOK-INTEL-PENTIUM-4- … =item460369a0ef

A 90's kid reliving the 90's.
Win8.1: Core i5-4200H, GeForce 840M 2GB, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
Win7: Athlon II X2 220, GeForce GT 610 1GB, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD
WinXP: Pentium 4 HT 3GHz, GeForce2 GTS 32MB, 1.5GB RAM, 20+80GB HDDs

Reply 384 of 1353, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TwOne wrote:

Hmm.. Pentium 4's with a double stamp you say?
$999.999,99 it is.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOOK-INTEL-PENTIUM-4- … =item460369a0ef

For an airplane full of coke and two CPUs it seems reasonable.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 386 of 1353, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
obobskivich wrote:

Unless I'm missing something, this is nuts:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261614903628

He knows the BIN is ridiculous, he's just waiting for Artex to make him an offer. 😜

Stojke wrote:

That's wack. I got a ET6100 for $5 3 or 4 years ago.

Reply 387 of 1353, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hahahaha, who needs a GTX 980, 128GB DDR4, and a 5960X when you can this baby girl.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-E8600-CORE-2-DU … =item27a4b6f3e6

Honestly, it's probably a really old listing that's been up for like, I don't know, 6 or 7 years? Maybe it was worth it back in 2008, but not in 2014 🤣

Reply 388 of 1353, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

well I have been onto two recent Apocalypse 3Dx listings on Ebay and both exploded from like 1-4 pound to 60-80 pound last minute xD honestly just how much is the Apocalypse 3Dx worth ? 😒

PC Setup: Mainboard ASUS CUBX | CPU Intel Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz | Memory 780 MB SDRam | Soundcard Creative SB Audigy SB0160 | GPUs Nvidia FX5900 Ulta Matrox M3D PCI | HDD 2x40 GB WD/Seagate | OS Win98SE and WinXPSP1 in dual boot

Reply 389 of 1353, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlphaDangerDen wrote:

Hahahaha, who needs a GTX 980, 128GB DDR4, and a 5960X when you can this baby girl.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-E8600-CORE-2-DU … =item27a4b6f3e6

Honestly, it's probably a really old listing that's been up for like, I don't know, 6 or 7 years? Maybe it was worth it back in 2008, but not in 2014 🤣

Yeah, the revision history says it was posted in 2009, and last revised in 2011. None of the revisions mention ever changing the price though, so I guess the price is still from 2009.

Reply 392 of 1353, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shamino wrote:

Yeah, the revision history says it was posted in 2009, and last revised in 2011. None of the revisions mention ever changing the price though, so I guess the price is still from 2009.

Even in 2008/9 that's a ripoff; GeForce GTX 2xx series came out in 2008, as did the original Core i7 series. 😵

Reply 393 of 1353, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

prebuild so called "gaming" PCs in general are a ripoff even the overpriced Alienware desktops. Its not that the components in them are subpar or suck, its just that PC hardware in general gets old very fast and people who are PC enthusiasts or even tech savvy, know how to build a powerful customizable gaming PC for themselves. That PC on Ebay is ridiculously overpriced but so are some other prebuild gaming PCs. SLI isn't even that useful for the average gamer unleast you want to play some games at maximum settings at ungodly resolutions and on multiple screens. But we are all retro PC lovers and hardware enthusiasts here so we know all that basic stuff ^^ but I could see some might fall for prebuild "gaming" PCs

PC Setup: Mainboard ASUS CUBX | CPU Intel Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz | Memory 780 MB SDRam | Soundcard Creative SB Audigy SB0160 | GPUs Nvidia FX5900 Ulta Matrox M3D PCI | HDD 2x40 GB WD/Seagate | OS Win98SE and WinXPSP1 in dual boot

Reply 395 of 1353, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A mac is good for what it is but the problem with the macs is that they kinda became this "cult must have" item and so you actually pay more for the brand than its actual functionality, best example is the iphone which does run faster due to its proprietary OS and optimized hardware but people just dont need to pay more for that, people I know that use a smartphone all they do is checking facebook and the internet but you can do this on a much cheaper android smartphone as well. Ah and dont forget you cant play most of the games on a mac 🙁 so in essence its just not that practical and very expensive but it has a quality build.

Reply 396 of 1353, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When you turn on a Macintosh computer with its operating system it simply works. When you install an aplication, it simply works. It is designed to work and not break.
When an older person who decides to buy a computer for professional work, he definitely is not going to want to explore and understand, he wants something that works out of the box.
And thats what Macintosh computers do, they work.

Their price is nothing if you take it the time needed to get used to something else with same function.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 397 of 1353, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlucarD86 wrote:

A mac is good for what it is but the problem with the macs is that they kinda became this "cult must have" item and so you actually pay more for the brand than its actual functionality, best example is the iphone which does run faster due to its proprietary OS and optimized hardware but people just dont need to pay more for that, people I know that use a smartphone all they do is checking facebook and the internet but you can do this on a much cheaper android smartphone as well. Ah and dont forget you cant play most of the games on a mac 🙁 so in essence its just not that practical and very expensive but it has a quality build.

Mac is good because the hardware and the software are more tightly integrated than Windows and there isn't a lot of baggage to create drama. Each version of OS X only supports a small subset of all Mac hardware in existence so you will have a better experience using it. Let's use Windows XP as an example. Windows XP will install to a 233mhz system, but have you ever actually tried running XP at 233mhz? OS X won't allow you to install to a system that isn't capable of supporting all of it's features at a reasonable speed. Apple also doesn't worry about providing driver support for that 15 year old printer or scanner that you insist on hanging on to that you probably can't even get parts for anymore if it breaks. All that makes for a leaner OS that almost never crashes that you can be more productive with even on lower spec hardware.

When you're in business and on a deadline, you can't afford to be calling tech support every 5 minutes when your Windows box blue screens or freezes. Macs just run, for the most part. It takes something really major to crash a Mac because there are fewer avenues open where fatal errors can take place. Customers don't want to hear "The computers crashed" when the deadline arrives and you still haven't delivered the product they contracted for. They will sue you for being late. Your OS and apps have to be rock solid and fast or you won't be in business for long. That's why all really serious work is done on Macs even though higher spec'ced PC's are available. .

Reply 399 of 1353, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not to start a flame war, but I can't remember the last time Windows just
crashed on me. Individual apps, yes but the OS doesn't blue screen all
the time like it used to. That was a valid complaint in the 95/98/Me days, though.
I like Macs as well but to say you can't get work done on a windows system is
silly.