VOGONS

Common searches

Humour Thread: Outrageously priced retro gear for sale online

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 780 of 1353, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
feipoa wrote:

I wonder if the purpose of these insane prices is to have hardware just sit on eBay to inflate the value of old PC hardware.

Oddly enough these items do sell somehow. The seller of the fic mobo I mentioned had a huge list of items for sale fir ridiculous high prices, still he manages to sell somehow.

Reply 781 of 1353, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Richo wrote:
feipoa wrote:

I wonder if the purpose of these insane prices is to have hardware just sit on eBay to inflate the value of old PC hardware.

Oddly enough these items do sell somehow. The seller of the fic mobo I mentioned had a huge list of items for sale fir ridiculous high prices, still he manages to sell somehow.

More than likely they're using a second account to "Buy" them, and never actually really sell anything in reality. Then after it happens enough times... other people come around and start thinking "Hay this thing is worth this", and try to sell it for the inflated price,but it never moves.

Viscous cycle with the marketplace.. and sucks when folks do this. 🙁

Reply 782 of 1353, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Some do this to sell items.
Start up several stealth accounts and list things for stupid prices so that the items sell on your real account.
Others do this to cheat on their taxes. List several things at a stupid price, then on your real account sell the items for much less and deduct the difference as a loss.

Some do it because they're setting on a stockpile of stuff and want to inflate the price.
Then there are the idiots.

Anyway I tend to setup stealth accounts to mess with theses nut jobs. I trick them into braking eBay policy so they get kicked off the site.

Reply 783 of 1353, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MB-8433UUD-A-CIRCUIT-B … 5cAAOSwJ7RYXHeY
Biostar MB-8433UUD v3.1 motherboard. Great motherboard, looks to be in nice condition, but $440 + $70 USD... It will never sell.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 785 of 1353, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:

deduct the difference as a loss.

As far as I have heard and understood the Danish law (heard it vaguely at different times), loss can only be deducted here in Denmark, if you have too much left, that can not be sold. You know. A different aproach to loss. Wich seems a bit more fair, and a lot harder to cheat you'r way through.

As I said. I have only heard it being explained one time on the radio, and I think I have read it being explained in a newspaper too.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 786 of 1353, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Loss is different in every legal system. Here in the US if market value of something is $5000 and your payed $5000 and it sell at auction for $2000 one could mark it as a $3000 loss. So all one has to do is make a stealth account buy the item for $5000, and sell it for $2000

So basically you buy something for $1000, list and buy it for $5000 on a stealth account, then sell it for $2000. Making $1000 and a filing a $3000 loss on your taxes.

Or that's my knowledge of the scam.

Edit:
Another opposite scam is when a buyer that makes a lot of fraud listing for and item at far less them fair market value to get real sellers to lower the price of an item they want to buy.

So basically you want to buy X but can afford it, so you make 100+ listing for X at 50% less then its worth, other sellers may lower there price to remain competitive allowing you to buy the item for less then fair market value.

I been around eBay too long. 😐

Reply 789 of 1353, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those remind me a lot of the LG Phenom Express I had back in the late 90's. I would dial-up to the enternet using this device with my cell phone.

It ran Windows CE 2.11 and had a RISC 100 MHz processor. It was surprisingly fast for its time and had no issues running the websites of the day, including early Java-based ones. Ran IRC, Word, played mp3s, etc. Sold it when the web became too advanced, in about 2005.

LG_Phenom-Box1.jpg
Filename
LG_Phenom-Box1.jpg
File size
88.97 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
LG_Phenom-Box2.jpg
Filename
LG_Phenom-Box2.jpg
File size
89.03 KiB
Views
File license
LG_Phenom_02.jpg
Filename
LG_Phenom_02.jpg
File size
98.64 KiB
Views
File license
LG_Phenom-Wireless_Internet.jpg
Filename
LG_Phenom-Wireless_Internet.jpg
File size
289.75 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 791 of 1353, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

HP Vectra.... 1499 euro

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Vectra-QS-20-model … 7wAAOSwX~dWlRbm

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 792 of 1353, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:

I had an HP Jordana 720 and that thing was baller. Also ran Windows CE and it had a PCMCIA slot + CF card slot.

At the time, I recall debating over an JP Jordana and the LG Phenom Express. If I recall right, the screen size on the LG was larger and swayed me. It was a damn good computer for its time. Everything was stored in RAM/ROM and was speedy.

Reply 797 of 1353, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

Recently when I search for mobos I always see a shitload of listings offering offtek ram modules seemingly specially compatible with the mobo or so the seller does wish to make you believe. They are expensive and high on shipping rates (UK shipment for ram usually are £5-6 from my experience).
Anyone familiar with this 'company'?

Last edited by deleted_Rc on 2017-03-07, 12:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 798 of 1353, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Richo wrote:

Recently when I search for mobos I always see a shitload of listings offering oftek ram modules seemingly specially compatible with the mobo or so the seller does wish to make you believe. They are expensive and high on shipping rates (UK shipment for ram usually are £5-6 from my experience).

I suppose you mean "Octek"? Octek used to make motherboards, at least they did during the 486 and Pentium eras. Several manufacturers during that era did some proprietary stuff with their hardware and these parts are often more of a curiosity.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 799 of 1353, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
Tetrium wrote:
Richo wrote:

Recently when I search for mobos I always see a shitload of listings offering offtek ram modules seemingly specially compatible with the mobo or so the seller does wish to make you believe. They are expensive and high on shipping rates (UK shipment for ram usually are £5-6 from my experience).

I suppose you mean "Octek"? Octek used to make motherboards, at least they did during the 486 and Pentium eras. Several manufacturers during that era did some proprietary stuff with their hardware and these parts are often more of a curiosity.

no I don't mean octek, I mean Offtek.

Search results for Mobo
Search results for Mobo
Search results for Mobo

these were search results when I was looking form mobo's during my search of the SS7 build, I noticed them before but it becamse weird that every combination of SD ram mobo compatible mainboard had ram results of this company.