VOGONS

Common searches

Humour Thread: Outrageously priced retro gear for sale online

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 1341 of 1353, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't hate you. I just think the attitude you're exhibiting is childish.

Anyway, this thread is supposed to be about funny. Anyone have any funny?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 1342 of 1353, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Anyway, this thread is supposed to be about funny. Anyone have any funny?

If what I've got here isn't funny, then I don't know what's supposed to be funny.

Here is a Toshiba Satellite 2950CDT for only $239 + shipping!:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Toshiba-Sate … HMAAOSwFJBZSJb7

Overpriced Toshiba.jpg
Filename
Overpriced Toshiba.jpg
File size
171.37 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

A somewhat yellowed Macintosh 512 computer with some accessories all for the hefty price of (cue the drum-roll) $500!?!:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/sys/d/maci … 6486871385.html

What kind of an idiot sells an old eMachines desktop (with a single-core AMD Athlon 64 & 2 lousy gigs of RAM) for $300? I admit that the selection of games is interesting, but seriously, there are better computers to play them on than some old shitty overpriced eMachines:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/sys/d/mini … 6502846783.html

Mandatory disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the sellers of these listings in any way, these are provided solely for the purpose of laughing at their stupidly high prices because after all, this thread is meant for that purpose and we should try not to abuse it like some people did a couple pages ago.

For those who forgot what this thread is really about, here's an excerpt from the original post:

feipoa wrote:

This post is not for people trying to sell equipment; please restrict your posts to gaspingly absorb prices.

Reply 1343 of 1353, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As the validity of this thread seems to be in question and considering the potential for abuse, I am of the position that it might be best to shut the thread down entirely. I'm not sure if the nonsense started after my post or from the Voodoo5 post. I do not follow this thread very closely. Prices for Voodoo5's are certainly approaching the $500 range, especially for NOS items.

If it was my post which started the nonsense, I apologise. I personally found the Creative Labs 3D Blaster listing to be absorb given the wording used in it: "used: fully operational", "as-is", "money back guarantee", "no returns", especially when combined with the price people were bidding. I was in utter disbelief and felt it would be interesting to share. I, in no way, intended to advertise this ridiculous auction. As I noted in the other ebay thread, I am clearly in a minority group when it comes to my position against advertising vintage computer parts. It makes items harder for me to find (more competition), drives prices up, and junks up an otherwise professional atmosphere full of useful information.

KCompRoom2000, I'm not really sure that those listings count as absurd; they are certainly within the realm of possibility. Obviously there are a lot of personal aspects as to this definition, and as such, to reduce conflict in the forum, it may be best that we all cease and desist in this thread. There has been enough drama flourishing on Vogons recently.

Also, out of respect for the sellers, I have always cropped my listings without the ebay username of the seller and I think that is a good course to follow. eBay links expire and this is why I liked to post screenshots to form a more valid historical record.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1344 of 1353, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm not sure where it derailed exactly, but I get the *feeling* it gets abused. The auction linked to do not fit the "outrageously" category. At best maybe a snickering (as the craigslist listings are for me).
The goal and rules at the beginning were great 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 1345 of 1353, by IAmJefferson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As what is says:

feipoa wrote:

This post is not for people trying to sell equipment; please restrict your posts to gaspingly absorb prices..

And the meaning of outrageously priced means that "unusually/shockingly above the acceptable selling price for a retrocomputing-related gear". Period.

At that time when I posted the price of the 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500, it is not meant to abuse the thread. It is meant to show that it was sold at a whooping starting bid of $515.00+. The price of the winning bid was around US $670.00.

Last edited by IAmJefferson on 2018-02-21, 10:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1346 of 1353, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:
As the validity of this thread seems to be in question and considering the potential for abuse, I am of the position that it mig […]
Show full quote

As the validity of this thread seems to be in question and considering the potential for abuse, I am of the position that it might be best to shut the thread down entirely. I'm not sure if the nonsense started after my post or from the Voodoo5 post. I do not follow this thread very closely. Prices for Voodoo5's are certainly approaching the $500 range, especially for NOS items.

If it was my post which started the nonsense, I apologise. I personally found the Creative Labs 3D Blaster listing to be absorb given the wording used in it: "used: fully operational", "as-is", "money back guarantee", "no returns", especially when combined with the price people were bidding. I was in utter disbelief and felt it would be interesting to share. I, in no way, intended to advertise this ridiculous auction. As I noted in the other ebay thread, I am clearly in a minority group when it comes to my position against advertising vintage computer parts. It makes items harder for me to find (more competition), drives prices up, and junks up an otherwise professional atmosphere full of useful information.

KCompRoom2000, I'm not really sure that those listings count as absurd; they are certainly within the realm of possibility. Obviously there are a lot of personal aspects as to this definition, and as such, to reduce conflict in the forum, it may be best that we all cease and desist in this thread. There has been enough drama flourishing on Vogons recently.

Also, out of respect for the sellers, I have always cropped my listings without the ebay username of the seller and I think that is a good course to follow. eBay links expire and this is why I liked to post screenshots to form a more valid historical record.

This reason is why i will not buy such expensive items from ebay motherf**ers, and trow much hate on them as possible...
I have my own contacts and connections, from where i can find rare things like Voodoo 5,ABIT BE6 series, ASUS P3B-F (at some point that high end slot 1 boards was not to be found even on ebay, this is why they are rare for me, no matter they can be found today), Slot A parts and others..
Good for that damn greedy sellers on ebay i can`t shut them off the internet or internet ban them, then they will be not able to sell on that retarded prices.. Or even better ebay control, as someone try to sell Voodoo 5 for example for more then 200$ the ad will be removed, till seller fix the price..

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 1347 of 1353, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is getting bat*%$#@! crazy. Saw a Voodoo 5500 for a 1,000 bucks - what a "sweet deal"!!!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1348 of 1353, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Radical Vision wrote:

This reason is why i will not buy such expensive items from ebay motherf**ers, and trow much hate on them as possible...
I have my own contacts and connections, from where i can find rare things like Voodoo 5,ABIT BE6 series, ASUS P3B-F (at some point that high end slot 1 boards was not to be found even on ebay, this is why they are rare for me, no matter they can be found today), Slot A parts and others..
Good for that damn greedy sellers on ebay i can`t shut them off the internet or internet ban them, then they will be not able to sell on that retarded prices.. Or even better ebay control, as someone try to sell Voodoo 5 for example for more then 200$ the ad will be removed, till seller fix the price..

You really think eBay needs to dictate the prices people post their stuff for sale at?

Here is what would happen.

1. Ebay would have to hire 10's of thousands more employees to manually monitor every single sale.
2. EBay's fees would go through the roof. Instead of a max of 8-10%, sellers would be paying 80-95% fees.
3. EBay sales would tank.
4. EBay would go out of business.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1350 of 1353, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

Sigh, if this thread is going to continue being a lightning rod for humourless reactionaries like the Dark Knight over there then I agree that it’s time to lock it down 🙁

Can we just report the use of cursing with *** for some of the letters so the words don't get automatically flagged?

I think banning people like that would be the best method to help curb people that like to cause problems.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1351 of 1353, by Scubs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

https://m.ebay.com/itm/For-Parts-Logitech-G-P … D8AAOSwzBJag0Wf
2k for a broken mouse.

Dominus wrote:

I'm not sure where it derailed exactly, but I get the *feeling* it gets abused. The auction linked to do not fit the "outrageously" category. At best maybe a snickering (as the craigslist listings are for me).
The goal and rules at the beginning were great 😉

Honestly, assuming nothing was removed that I did not see, most of your posts seem to what drive the thread off topic. Everyone reaction to the warning or possibility of the thread being locked witch leads to more off topic posting and crap.

Last edited by Scubs on 2018-02-22, 02:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1352 of 1353, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scubs wrote:

giphy.gif

Scubs wrote:

Honestly, assuming nothing was removed that I did not see, most of your posts seem to what drive the thread off topic. Everyone reaction to the warning or possibility of the thread being locked.

How about we holiday the thread for a bit so all the whiners go away? It's become a bit of a bitch space for people complaining about eBay (rather than laughing at strange sales postings), but maybe they'll move on if it's locked for a few weeks.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 1353 of 1353, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think this is a good advice! Thread is having a nice little holiday on ice fir a bit!!!

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper