VOGONS

Common searches

Humour Thread: Outrageously priced retro gear for sale online

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 1353, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

I don't know why but lady dentists are either beautiful or gorgeous or both. Just don't know why. Maybe those on whom my eyes fell upon do look...uh..pleasing.

Well, you're allowed 4 wives, lah! Maybe you can take home your favourite lady dentist and get her to do some photography of all your retro gear.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 41 of 1353, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just doing some browsin', saw this overpriced piece of retro junk, and thought I'd share.
7 offers rejected, he must really think its gonna sell for nearly $1000

Some old EISA 486 board. I think he might be able to get $100 after a year of waiting.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140146197661

Attachments

Reply 42 of 1353, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh may a EISA Bus = Extended Industry Standard Architecture (With all no add-on device) it was just as bad as MCA Bus = Micro Channel Architecture Slow there was point in get it over ISA Bus = Industry Standard Architecture back in thoses days but that all change with VL-Bus or VLB = Video Electronics Standards Association Local Bus which end up becoming now know as PCI Bus = Peripheral Component Interconnect, Thoses EISA board where only used in Highend Workstation and Server computer systems better suited to HIGH bandwidth-intensive tasks (such as disk access and networking).

Reply 43 of 1353, by jaqie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Im sorry, but I have no idea where you are getting your information. VLB had absolutely nothing to do with PCI and VLB had horrible inherent limitations which made it INCREDIBLY ill suited to servers, many servers still had EISA along with PCI and I have never, ever seen a single server with VLB in it. EISA was far better than MCA and much more widely accepted as well as not being proprietary and without licensing as MCA was.

Reply 44 of 1353, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Take in count that I been doing computer for over 25+ and even work at HP in Idaho for time some min years back I lean a lot stuff.
VLB and PCI share all must the same setup 112 pin (90+22) vs 124 pin (98+22) where get few more pins as know and if lucky you and can find handful of Pentium motherboard that had VLB but they didn't work well with the bus so VLB was rework in PCI which made it cheaper and eazy and less expensive to implement device which also need a new North/South bridge controllers chipset, why do ting some 486 come with PCI.
The only reason why EISA buses hang around for so long becuases it support multiprocessing and was very expensive to implement device back then so min big compy didn't want replace the devices so that where PCI-X come in play to replace it and No EISA 8Mhz was not far better than MCA it was slow then MCA 10Mhz and hate tell you this MCA was much more widely accepted after all it was in all IBM Personal System/2 or PS/2 PC back then but both of them where very expensive to implement so selling add-on device where super high price and yes it IBM proprietary Micro Channel Architecture which end still failing on deaktop market was there own doing.

Reply 45 of 1353, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shspvr wrote:

VLB and PCI share all must the same setup 112 pin (90+22) vs 124 pin (98+22)

PC floppy drives and Voodoo 2 SLI use identical connectors.

It doesn't mean they're related.

VLB and PCI were developed by completely different groups (VLB by the VESA Consortium, PCI by Intel), so not only did VLB not "end up becoming now know" as PCI, they didn't even come from the same place.

shspvr wrote:

where get few more pins as know and if lucky you and can find handful of Pentium motherboard that had VLB but they didn't work well with the bus so VLB was rework in PCI which made it cheaper and eazy and less expensive to implement device which also need a new North/South bridge controllers chipset, why do ting some 486 come with PCI.

Umm.... what?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 46 of 1353, by Chewhacca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmofo wrote:
I'll take it! […]
Show full quote

I'll take it!

ebay.jpg

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Microsoft-MS-DOS-3 … e#ht_901wt_1396

Made an offer on it.

Attachments

• Filename
    MSDOS3_3.jpg
    File size
    175.86 KiB
    Downloads
    148 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 47 of 1353, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:
PC floppy drives and Voodoo 2 SLI use identical connectors. […]
Show full quote
shspvr wrote:

VLB and PCI share all must the same setup 112 pin (90+22) vs 124 pin (98+22)

PC floppy drives and Voodoo 2 SLI use identical connectors.

It doesn't mean they're related.

VLB and PCI were developed by completely different groups (VLB by the VESA Consortium, PCI by Intel), so not only did VLB not "end up becoming now know" as PCI, they didn't even come from the same place.

Umm.... what?

Sure the Voodoo 2 and Floppy are related after all it A:\ stye ribbon cable and use identical connectors and the sum what the same twist.

VESA didn't do it at all it was done by a bunch computer video display adapter manufacturers who sat down to work on the problem but Intel just took next level which end up as PCI and later on it end as PCI-SIG.

Reply 48 of 1353, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shspvr wrote:

Sure the Voodoo 2 and Floppy are related after all it A:\ stye ribbon cable and use identical connectors and the sum what the same twist.

*facepalm*

shspvr wrote:

VESA didn't do it at all it was done by a bunch computer video display adapter manufacturers who sat down to work on the problem

That "bunch of companies" were working as a sub-committee of, you guessed it, the VESA Consortium.

shspvr wrote:

but Intel just took next level which end up as PCI and later on it end as PCI-SIG.

PCI has zilch to do with VLB. Nothing.

PCI-SIG is an interest group, not an interface.

Seems like you're just playing alphabet soup here.

Reply 51 of 1353, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

PCI has zilch to do with VLB. Nothing..

What ever

SquallStrife wrote:

Really if that you think boy your way off becuases it more then just a Board of Directors.
You do know that if the Industry Standard for PCI in a Compliance Specification wasn't around ever one would be still be try out do ever one eles that the was way it way back in late 80's and early 90's after all it was a war with IBM and PC Clones and etc, etc in thoses day where in end IBM and there damaged its own market by itself failing to appreciate the importance of cross compatibility, becuses of there own monopolistic greed after all if wasn't for the various other manufacturers band together for ability to legally reverse engineer the BIOS there would be no PC Clones.

SquallStrife wrote:

Nope

Reply 52 of 1353, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmofo wrote:
Chewhacca wrote:

Made an offer on it.

He he, nice one. You're lucky he didn't accept it, + 45 bucks for international shipping and it's still way too much.

Last year it really did cost me about $45 USD just sent a package to my sister in Canada which belive about 2/3lb.

Reply 53 of 1353, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shspvr wrote:
badmofo wrote:
Chewhacca wrote:

Made an offer on it.

He he, nice one. You're lucky he didn't accept it, + 45 bucks for international shipping and it's still way too much.

Last year it really did cost me about $45 USD just sent a package to my sister in Canada which belive about 2/3lb.

A few years back I wanted to send a .5 oz bottle of perfume to my gf in England and FedEx wanted $100 to send it because they said it might be hazardous. I ended up sending it in a bigger box cushioned with bunched up newspaper by the post office without telling them what was in it for just a few dollars.

Reply 54 of 1353, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shspvr wrote:
What ever […]
Show full quote
SquallStrife wrote:

PCI has zilch to do with VLB. Nothing..

What ever

SquallStrife wrote:

Really if that you think boy your way off becuases it more then just a Board of Directors.
You do know that if the Industry Standard for PCI in a Compliance Specification wasn't around ever one would be still be try out do ever one eles that the was way it way back in late 80's and early 90's after all it was a war with IBM and PC Clones and etc, etc in thoses day where in end IBM and there damaged its own market by itself failing to appreciate the importance of cross compatibility, becuses of there own monopolistic greed after all if wasn't for the various other manufacturers band together for ability to legally reverse engineer the BIOS there would be no PC Clones.

SquallStrife wrote:

Nope

My head a splode.

Reply 55 of 1353, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shspvr wrote:

Take in count that I been doing computer for over 25+ and even work at HP in Idaho for time some min years back I lean a lot stuff.

I guess while you were busy learning lots of stuff and all back in Idaho you skipped out on those English classes ehh? I can totally sympathize with SquallStrife, most of what you said was a mix of false information and a terrible use of the English language. It all reminds me of those spam emails you would get where they would have these odd stories/paragraphs that would make zero sense.

Reply 57 of 1353, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fronzel wrote:

2 GB SCSI HDD for just 1500 USD. Totally worth it, i swear.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUANTUM-XP32151-Teste … h=item20bdbf7c0

Not only that, but there is no "Best Offer" option, implying that this guy is firm on his inflated price. Under drive capacity, he lists 1.05 GB, whereas under description, he lists it as 2.15 GB. All this while maintaining a 100% feedback rating and over 2000 transactions. Some things I will never understand.