VOGONS

Common searches

Humour Thread: Outrageously priced retro gear for sale online

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 400 of 1353, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My editing suite of choice is Vegas, which is cheap. It's not very stable. I've never heard rumors of instability in the more high-level editing suites, I'm sure they work just as well as whatever people edit video with on Mac these days.

Reply 403 of 1353, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sutekh94 wrote:

I'd buy this neat-looking 386 if it wasn't priced at over $900 including shipping.

I've never seen a 386 like that. Very interesting machine, although I still wouldn't pay that much money for it 🤣.

Reply 405 of 1353, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
snorg wrote:
Not to start a flame war, but I can't remember the last time Windows just crashed on me. Individual apps, yes but the OS doesn […]
Show full quote

Not to start a flame war, but I can't remember the last time Windows just
crashed on me. Individual apps, yes but the OS doesn't blue screen all
the time like it used to. That was a valid complaint in the 95/98/Me days, though.
I like Macs as well but to say you can't get work done on a windows system is
silly.

Yeah, I don't have a lot of problems with windows, but I have not used a mac in years.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 406 of 1353, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ahendricks18 wrote:
snorg wrote:
Not to start a flame war, but I can't remember the last time Windows just crashed on me. Individual apps, yes but the OS doesn […]
Show full quote

the time like it used to. That was a valid complaint in the 95/98/Me days, though.
silly.

Yeah, I don't have a lot of problems with windows, but I have not used a mac in years.

For me (and this is just for me, I know people love Mac OS), Macs were interesting when they were PPC based, and were therefore different. Now that Macs are all Intel, they're the exact same as PCs, just WAY more expensive. Personal taste is always going to come into which GUI you like best; personally I find Mac OS to be too obfuscated, I like the inner workings of my OS easily accessible and clear.

Reply 408 of 1353, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
snorg wrote:
Show full quote

silly.

Well, a blue screen can only happen with kernel mode device drivers. IE drivers that need low level access to their corresponding hardware. Windows itself is pretty bomb proof and has been, it's faulty memory and shitty 3rd party drivers usually that brings it down. A normal user mode application that fucks up will just crash its own space, that's why we have program crashes and blue screens, one happens in user space and the other happens in kernel space and that's fatal. I just resolved a BSOD issue a little while ago. The dump was pointing to some bcmndis something .sys driver. BCM aka Broadcom, the chip my usb wireless adapter used. The driver date? 2008. Checked to see if any updated drivers existed, but nope, the entire product was discontinued and didn't receive driver updates. I unloaded the driver and threw the adapter out the window and haven't had a BSOD since.

Reply 409 of 1353, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know Apple stuff can be pretty valuable, but... really? Almost $5,000 for one of the worst vintage Macintosh models ever?
(note: personal opinion)

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 410 of 1353, by Rawrl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sutekh94 wrote:

I know Apple stuff can be pretty valuable, but... really? Almost $5,000 for one of the worst vintage Macintosh models ever?

Hey, at least it isn't a Performa 52xx or 62xx. And it even has the ~~active matrix~~ screen!
Totes worth $5k imo.

Reply 411 of 1353, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sutekh94 wrote:

Lol one of those sold for AU$15.50 here recently... Wasn't mint but I guess you'd have to pay a premium for that!

Reply 417 of 1353, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

I like that he took the time to mention in the title "With Microsoft Office 2000". 🤣

WOW SUCH A DEAL! 😜

A dollar a year since the birth of Christ, +/- $500. 🤣

He also has you covered for beverages...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221483656654

Not sure how I feel about 15 year old Coca-Cola...it probably beats 16 year old Coca-Cola though. 😵

Reply 418 of 1353, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:
A dollar a year since the birth of Christ, +/- $500. :lol: […]
Show full quote
King_Corduroy wrote:

I like that he took the time to mention in the title "With Microsoft Office 2000". 🤣

WOW SUCH A DEAL! 😜

A dollar a year since the birth of Christ, +/- $500. 🤣

He also has you covered for beverages...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221483656654

Not sure how I feel about 15 year old Coca-Cola...it probably beats 16 year old Coca-Cola though. 😵

15yo Coke + P3 PC = Era correct! Who wouldn't want to drink an old coke whilst playing their old PC?