VOGONS

Common searches

Humour Thread: Outrageously priced retro gear for sale online

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 600 of 1353, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386_junkie wrote:

At least someone has humour! If it is such a bargain why haven't you bought it already!? Go ahead... buy it, since it's worth more ñ all!

The most i've ever spent on a mobo is about $120! ...and that was a one off,

Did you grab that bargain yet?

I in no way expressed personal interest to buy it myself... I was just stating that if someone had that computer already and was looking to buy such a thing, they'd be well aware of what it costs. I was also just stating that compared to other "normal" motherboards, it may seem outlandish. But for actual intact and functional NeXt multi-DSP motherboards.. that price is more normal and actually not "outrageously priced".

Bear in mind, the computer that would accept that board today would equally cost about $7k.

You don't have to be down-right rude.. 🙁

Reply 601 of 1353, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know SS7 motherboards are getting more sought after and expensive, but really!
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FIC-VA-503-Super-socke … voAAOSwRQlXckL7

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 602 of 1353, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

I know SS7 motherboards are getting more sought after and expensive, but really!

Really? I own one of these.. maybe I should sell it and get another video card for my 3770k at these prices.

Reply 603 of 1353, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

My apologies if that's how it came across.

I'm just getting a little fed up of all the contradiction and contest... if I say "hot", it's cold... "big", it's small... "expensive", it's cheap.

This thread is supposed to be a humour thread, 4 and a half G's for a motherboard is rather funny especially since I've never seen a board go for so much before.

In the normal realm of our computer hobby... $4,500 is not normal, nobody on here is certainly likely to run out and buy it if you get my meaning. A buyer at that price would have to be either a business of sentiment or possibly a private and unknown collector who has money way beyond our scope. If you disagree then I can certainly put the link over in the eBay thread and see if anyone there is keen.

For me personally, it is something I can never afford - so I was being humorous about it... I just didn't expect to be shot down for it.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 604 of 1353, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386_junkie wrote:
My apologies if that's how it came across. […]
Show full quote
kithylin wrote:

My apologies if that's how it came across.

I'm just getting a little fed up of all the contradiction and contest... if I say "hot", it's cold... "big", it's small... "expensive", it's cheap.

This thread is supposed to be a humour thread, 4 and a half G's for a motherboard is rather funny especially since I've never seen a board go for so much before.

In the normal realm of our computer hobby... $4,500 is not normal, nobody on here is certainly likely to run out and buy it if you get my meaning. A buyer at that price would have to be either a business of sentiment or possibly a private and unknown collector who has money way beyond our scope. If you disagree then I can certainly put the link over in the eBay thread and see if anyone there is keen.

For me personally, it is something I can never afford - so I was being humorous about it... I just didn't expect to be shot down for it.

I will admit it is kind of funny to look at these things from our perspective. I'm in the same boat as you.. I think the most I ever paid for a motherboard was about $500 for my x58 extreme board in 2008 and normally hover around the $200 and less.

There's lots of sun systems motherboards on ebay for $5k - $8k for servers too if you want something funny to look at. But those are always on there and always that price.

Reply 605 of 1353, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

Hmmmm.... I have never spend more than aprox. 25 US Dollars on a motherboard.

Most of what I've picked up over the years has been under 25 too, though the one I pushed the boat out for was special and something I would never have seen again.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

Reply 606 of 1353, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

I will admit it is kind of funny to look at these things from our perspective. I'm in the same boat as you.. I think the most I ever paid for a motherboard was about $500 for my x58 extreme board in 2008 and normally hover around the $200 and less.

There's lots of sun systems motherboards on ebay for $5k - $8k for servers too if you want something funny to look at. But those are always on there and always that price.

x58 extreme? What era of hardware do you use mostly?

I've never had the pleasure to mess around with any Sun systems. Though generally on eBay and likes, if something doesn't sell the 10th time of listing... you would think some sellers would maybe drop their price, a little.

Reply 608 of 1353, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Arctic wrote:

These prices are the reason I can't make a deal sometimes.

The seller looks the stuff up that he had no idea about 2min ago and then comes up with numbers like:
twohunnerdshwiftyfeiv and heiv. They are selling for that on ebay.

That's pretty much how a lot of this old computer stuff works. Some random joe schmoe in a salvage yard, or pawn shop or somewhere is given some old computer. They go to take it apart and each piece of it they type in the model # in to ebay and click "Sold" and see those that sold in the last 90 days. They see someone else bought some motherboard for $250 and then assume, "Oh well that's what this is worth.. it's not trash, let's list it" and then they realize no one else currently has one for sale, so they mark it up some and list it for +$50 more than the last guy because no competition. So then we have the same board selling for $300 now. And the cycle continues until stuff ends up $1000 for a 486 motherboard some day. Or this NeXt motherboard up there that's like what, $5000 now? seller mentions others have sold for $7000 recently so thinks he's giving everyone a deal, when in reality it's still way overpriced and no one will pay it.

I use ebay's "run until sold" when I sell things myself, Where I just list it once and then it stays up literally forever until it sells.

Reply 609 of 1353, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Many resellers cater to organizations that need replacement parts for mission critical systems. They list 100s / 1000s of items that way. They only need to sell a few a week / month to make $ and keep their operation afloat.

Hobby users do not matter to these sellers.

Reply 611 of 1353, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Arctic wrote:

These prices are the reason I can't make a deal sometimes.

The seller looks the stuff up that he had no idea about 2min ago and then comes up with numbers like:
twohunnerdshwiftyfeiv and heiv. They are selling for that on ebay.

True.... I have had that experience too.
Whenever I am telling them to sell on eBay in order to fetch that price, they allways complain about this and that.
And how hard it is to sell on eBay because of all the eBay rules and so forth.
Then I wish them good luck and tell them that they have a buyer (me) if the decide otherwise.

PeterLI wrote:

Many resellers cater to organizations that need replacement parts for mission critical systems. They list 100s / 1000s of items that way. They only need to sell a few a week / month to make $ and keep their operation afloat.

Hobby users do not matter to these sellers.

I actually had this told by a seller of old hardware once. He had some old 40 to 500 megabyte harddrives for
sale a couple of years ago on eBay. Every single one was sold to hospitals in USA.
They had to have a specific sparepart, when stuff breaks down. Not some other brand HDD.
They needed the exact same, else the machine would not be the same, as what it was tested and approved
for mission chritical operations. You know... CT scanners and such.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 613 of 1353, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sutekh94 wrote:

Yep. The retail version was 4x disks so I'm guessing this is the shareware version, right?

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 614 of 1353, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

VIA chipset ? brrr ... it's feeling cold all of a sudden!

Reply 615 of 1353, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ElBrunzy wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

VIA chipset ? brrr ... it's feeling cold all of a sudden!

The via mvp chipset is honestly a solid performer, but the price is a decimal place off for sure.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 619 of 1353, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Win3.1 and MS-DOS6.22 combo for the low price of $1500... No box, no manuals, used. A bargain!
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-logiciels/ville-de-que … gationFlag=true

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database