VOGONS

Common searches

Humour Thread: Outrageously priced retro gear for sale online

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 720 of 1353, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

Yeah... I hear you. I am not going to give my honest opinion this time though.
Because last time I opened my mouth on this subject, someone gave me a slight negative comment for saying what I feel on this subject.

I think that was probably me and I apologise if I worded my post harshly, I certainly don't want to be responsible for discouraging people from posting their opinions! This subject does tend to get my motor runnng though; people seem to have this idea that old computer parts should be cheap and that anyone buying / selling at what they consider inflated prices are idiots / greedy.

I put the value of my stuff into context by comparing it to every day stuff. My big ticket items (Roland sound,etc) are worth - based on eBay prices - about the same as I spend at the supermarket every fortnight (4 person family).

And like kithylin mentioned, the times I've sold stuff for profit I've turned around and poured that cash back into more retro stuff, which is what I assume most people in this biz do when they come across a windfall 😎

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 721 of 1353, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:
I think that was probably me and I apologise if I worded my post harshly, I certainly don't want to be responsible for discourag […]
Show full quote
brostenen wrote:

Yeah... I hear you. I am not going to give my honest opinion this time though.
Because last time I opened my mouth on this subject, someone gave me a slight negative comment for saying what I feel on this subject.

I think that was probably me and I apologise if I worded my post harshly, I certainly don't want to be responsible for discouraging people from posting their opinions! This subject does tend to get my motor runnng though; people seem to have this idea that old computer parts should be cheap and that anyone buying / selling at what they consider inflated prices are idiots / greedy.

I put the value of my stuff into context by comparing it to every day stuff. My big ticket items (Roland sound,etc) are worth - based on eBay prices - about the same as I spend at the supermarket every fortnight (4 person family).

And like kithylin mentioned, the times I've sold stuff for profit I've turned around and poured that cash back into more retro stuff, which is what I assume most people in this biz do when they come across a windfall 😎

Yep.. like last summer I found a voodoo3 + voodoo5 for < $20 each at a store locally. Went and hawked em online then used the profits to turn around and bought some stuff for I think it was my AthlonXP computer, and a sexy 939 motherboard.

Reply 722 of 1353, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A "new in box" Voodoo3 3000 for the low low price of $9,229.99 🤣!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-in-BOX-VINTAGE-Vo … l8AAOSw5VFWI9tB

Attachments

• vodoo.png
    Filename
    vodoo.png
    File size
    285.26 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 724 of 1353, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrEWhite wrote:
brassicGamer wrote:

That has the only copy of the Turok source code outside of Nightdive Studios.

From the main thread:

leileilol wrote:

Not exactly a huge find unless it's a totally different earlier revision. Turok's source was legally found and used to help complete and iron out the kinks in the recent Turok port

Does this mean an external source or an internal source, I wonder. If external, it suggests the source is available through other channels.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 725 of 1353, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cj_reha wrote:

Never expected these to ever cost over 9000 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 726 of 1353, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:
From the main thread: […]
Show full quote
MrEWhite wrote:
brassicGamer wrote:

That has the only copy of the Turok source code outside of Nightdive Studios.

From the main thread:

leileilol wrote:

Not exactly a huge find unless it's a totally different earlier revision. Turok's source was legally found and used to help complete and iron out the kinks in the recent Turok port

Does this mean an external source or an internal source, I wonder. If external, it suggests the source is available through other channels.

Again, only Nightdive has the code.

Reply 731 of 1353, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe we need a thread for listings by people with no idea. This guy wants over £115 for some 20ns cache, a Pentium gold top, a Willamette, a Coppermine and a couple of 486SXs. He claims they're all in perfect working order but this lot would be difficult to test for most of us collectors, let alone some random in Kent. I certainly don't have a socket 5 or 423 board. Plus the fact he's consistently misspelled Winbond is also a concern as it shows he has no idea what he's talking about and seems to think that's the main item in the lot!

Maybe someone will make him an offer...

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 732 of 1353, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
cj_reha wrote:

I left him a 8k offer to see what would happen.
The seller sent me an offer asking if I was serious for offering the price.

If he takes the offer ill cancel the order. Listing a voodoo3 for 9k and you got that coming.

Reply 735 of 1353, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

No it's not. I told him I'm unwilling to deal outside of eBay. Now he wants me to submit an offer via a message.
Don't know what to think of this nut... but I'll probably get eBay to ban him within 48 hours if he keeps this up.

People like him need to be taught that listing stuff like this for crazy prices makes others believe there worth that much. Think if a few people did this with vibra 16s? We'd end up with everyone coming out of the woodworks asking hundreds for what's a 10$ sound card. 😵

That and in a little board and have nothing going on the weekend.
Probably should just leave the guy alone. But listing a 2-300$ card for 9k? Yeah you got something coming.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-02-04, 20:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 736 of 1353, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

No it's not. I told him I'm unwilling to deal outside of eBay. Now he wants me to submit an offer via a message.
Don't know what to think of this nut... but I'll probably get him off eBay in 48 hours.

Message him and refer him to this directly: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-spam- … -ebay-sale.html

Then goto his listing and click the report item thing on the item's page and report it as fraudulent.

Attempting a sale outside of ebay is expressly forbidden and is in direct violation of ebay policies, and considered fraud.

Reply 739 of 1353, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

Intel Cpu Pentium 4 670 - $978.53 http://www.ebay.com/itm/122326920300

oh damn, that is extremenly overpriced. I got mine for only 14 €

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems