VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sugoll

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was wondering why so many US sellers refuse to ship internationally. I thought about this a bit but I couldn't think of any reason. There doesn't seem to be any difference from the seller's point of view, between domestic shipping or international shipping: they wait for the buyer's money to arrive, then they take the item to the post office. Same in both cases, no extra effort.
One thing I thought of was that they might dislike or hate foreigners and because of that refuse to sell to them, but I'm not sure of that.
Does anyone here have any more insight into the brain of US sellers?

Reply 1 of 6, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sugoll wrote:

I was wondering why so many US sellers refuse to ship internationally. I thought about this a bit but I couldn't think of any reason. There doesn't seem to be any difference from the seller's point of view, between domestic shipping or international shipping: they wait for the buyer's money to arrive, then they take the item to the post office. Same in both cases, no extra effort.
One thing I thought of was that they might dislike or hate foreigners and because of that refuse to sell to them, but I'm not sure of that.
Does anyone here have any more insight into the brain of US sellers?

The difference is that Paypal/ebay nearly ALWAYS side with buyers in the event of a dispute and the people more likely to file a dispute are mostly from outside the US. If you were a seller and people consistently asked Paypal to do chargebacks even though you KNOW they received the item, would you continue to sell to them?

Reply 2 of 6, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yup that it sliderider you really got watch your keys and cue's when dealing with poeple over sea more so in Mexcio, Both North & South Africa, Pettey much all of Asia (Not Japan), Papua New Guinea, Some Europe Country and as seller I alway check buy feedback ratings it not that we dislike or hate foreigners it just that try rip off the seller not only that something just cost to damn much to ship over sea plus all other mickey carp that had be filled out when shipping over sea.

Reply 3 of 6, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Like I said in the other thread:

ProfessorProfessorson wrote:

To be honest I wont ship out of the USA anymore to anyone on anything sales related. It has been a few years since I have done so in fact. The main problem is buyers would only be willing to pay for slower services that do not provide tracking or a delivery confirmation method and want me to mark stuff as gift, which is mail fraud.

Whenever I state I can only ship via a trackable/insurable method they don't want to bother with a purchase, and more often then not throw a tantrum or spam me with shitty messages claiming I'm racist (like I could even predict what race they were to begin with), etc, so I just finally eliminated the option all together for bidders outside the USA.

I do not know how it is on here really since ebay transactions are not talked about so much, but people shipping out of the USA on DP and other gaming forums seem to get ripped off by buyers a lot when they don't use trackable services, especially by buyers located in Russia, Italy, some parts of Asia, South America, etc. Just not worth the mess to me, none of it.

Not only that, but it is not as simple a process that you make it out to be. Customs forms have to be filled out, etc, usually taking up a bit more time at the post office then anyone would like to spend there as is.

Reply 4 of 6, by Sugoll

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@ ProfessorProfessorson

That's partly what I mean. The US government apparently makes it very difficult for citizens to send stuff abroad, for no good reason. Here in the Netherlands we don't have to fill out anything special to send stuff abroad. It's just as easy as domestic shipping!

Reply 5 of 6, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sugoll wrote:

@ ProfessorProfessorson

That's partly what I mean. The US government apparently makes it very difficult for citizens to send stuff abroad, for no good reason. Here in the Netherlands we don't have to fill out anything special to send stuff abroad. It's just as easy as domestic shipping!

It really your government that the problem part of with Bull$hit, VAT, Imports Taxs paper work carp from what I under stand or ever you want call it there, and dosen't count all the ripoff artists.

Reply 6 of 6, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always ship something with delivery confirmation, so at least the buyer cannot claim that nothing ever appeared. But there are other buyer issues :

Item non-working - You say tested but sold as is.
Item broken - Insurance offered if buyer wanted to pay for it.
Wrong item / No item / Incomplete Item - Strategies include :

1. Declared weight/contents of box
2. Visual inspection by postmaster (if you are friendly with the postmaster)
3. Comparative reputations
4. Use carrier like UPS or Fed Ex and have them ship it
5. Photograph of item in box

I think another issue of why U.S. buyers do not ship internationally is that the cost often makes shipping the item not worth it. It costs over $100 to ship a moderately sized vintage PC overseas.

PayPal shipping is easy to use, even for International Shipping, because you can fill out all the forms, including customs forms, online.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog