VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I want in on the Roland midi bandwaggon - countless years too late I know, but that's just the way I roll apparently.

So I've been working away on this project for a while and have managed to put together a 386DX40 machine to play pre general-midi games on. I haven't been able to track down a MPU-401 interface card for a reasonable price, but my plan is:

- Roland MT-32 (see below)
- Ensoniq soundscape, first version. My understanding is that this thing does a decent job of emulating "intelligent" mode MPU-401.
- Joystick to MIDI cable from the Soundscape to the MT-32 (see below)
- Sound blaster pro 2.0 for OPL and digital effects.
- 3.5mm STEREO Jack to 2x 6.35mm MONO Male Plugs Cable

I'm still waiting on the 3.5mm stereo to 6.35mm cable but I'm thinking I can plug the 2x mono plugs into the MT-32, and the other end into the 'line in' of the SB Pro, then the line out of the SB Pro into my amp; effectivley using the SB as a mixer.

But will this work?

And will I need any drivers installed to use the Soundscape's MIDI port? I have it jumpered to 330, and I'm hoping that's enough. I don't think that conflicts with the SB Pro in any way?

Pics:

The MT-32, power supply, and joystick to MIDI cable. I'll need an adapter for the power supply to fit an Australian socket, but it is the correct voltage at least (it's from the U.K).
IMG_2651.jpg

Close up. It's a very clean unit, obviously used but well cared for.
IMG_2649.jpg

Documentation it came with.
IMG_2650.jpg

Thought I'd include a pic of this nice case while I was taking photos. I found it at the tip a while back, and it was pretty much brand new. There was some socket 7 rubbish in there which I've since dumped for a nice 486DX2-66 setup. This is my general midi era machine (pre Windows 95 that is... I have another machine for that - this hobby is getting a little out of hand)
IMG_2653.jpg

Reply 1 of 19, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm still waiting on the 3.5mm stereo to 6.35mm cable but I'm thinking I can plug the 2x mono plugs into the MT-32, and the other end into the 'line in' of the SB Pro, then the line out of the SB Pro into my amp; effectivley using the SB as a mixer.

But will this work?

Yes, I was doing this with my 386, MT32 and SB Pro. You'll probably want to fiddle with the volumes with SBP-MIX.exe

And will I need any drivers installed to use the Soundscape's MIDI port? I have it jumpered to 330, and I'm hoping that's enough. I don't think that conflicts with the SB Pro in any way?

I believe the Soundscape uses a software emulation of the intelligent mode MUP401 so I'd say that you would need the driver. I've not used one so I can't say for sure. In any case the SB pro doesn't have a MIDI port so it won't clash with IO port 330. SB16 and later you either need to disable the MIDI port or reassign it.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 2 of 19, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK thanks, I'll have a look around for SBP-MIX, I don't have it by default in my SB drivers.

Right then I'll just have to suck it and see with the soundscape. Anyone have any tips for getting my hands on an actual MPU401 interface card? I've been watching eBay like a hawk for months now and the one or 2 I've seen listed are all ~200 bucks, which just doesn't seem right.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 19, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love how every MT-32 has the same wear marks around the volume knob, stupid stubby thing it is.

Edit: Forget eBay, try Vintage Computer Forum or AmiBay. Most of those people aren't trying to get 'eBay Prices(TM)' for their gear, they'd prefer it went to the hands of someone who's appreciate it.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4 of 19, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK thanks, I'll have a look around for SBP-MIX, I don't have it by default in my SB drivers.

Really? I thought it was part of the default SB PRO drivers. I got them from Creative's website, but this is going back a while now since I built my 386.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 5 of 19, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

Really? I thought it was part of the default SB PRO drivers. I got them from Creative's website, but this is going back a while now since I built my 386.

The 'sb2up.exe' package I got from creative's website didn't include them, just 'diagnose.exe' and some bare bones drivers. I ended up using the disk images from the vogons drivers site, these required some messing around with labelling floppies correctly to get the installer to run but I got there in the end.

Then I had to install Windows 3.11 to allow me to install the Ensoniq DOS drivers, which are included in the Windows only installer.

Then, after fiddling around with SBP-SET to un-mute the line in (SBP-MIX takes up heaps of memory?), and messing around with the Ensoniq software to direct MIDI to the external port... nothing happened.

I finally swapped the 'in' and 'out' cables into the MT-32 and finally I got some action - not a quality product, that cable. Only cost 7 bucks though so I can't really complain.

Dune2 works well and a few other games I tried, but NOT Frederik Pohl's Gateway, which is one of the main games I wanted to play on this setup.

I run the game with the 'gate.exe MT32' command, and it doesn't throw any errors. The MT-32 lights up with 'GATEWAY' on the LCD and all looks good, but I just don't get any music.

So I guess the Soundscape's "intelligent mode" isn't quite up to the task. I've read in another thread that the AudioPCI doesn't work with Gateway either, but I was hoping that the Soundscape would.

Am I missing something? Or does my search for a proper MPU-401 interface continue?

Reply 6 of 19, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gateway is one of the games that will only work with a fully compatible MPU401 interface. Same with Wing Commander and quite a few others.

BTW, Both myself and Mau1wurf1977 have recordings of Gateway running on actual MT-32 hardware:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZPX1jtk3-M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMVcqwD94dU

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 7 of 19, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just wondering why would you want to connect it back into a soundblaster? Surely it would be better to mix the signals separately away from the card due to how damn hissy old soundblasters are? Maybe it's just me but with that much signal degradation I'd never pump sound back through to it 😜

Reply 8 of 19, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
megatron-uk wrote:

Gateway is one of the games that will only work with a fully compatible MPU401 interface. Same with Wing Commander and quite a few others.

Yes Gateway is very very picky and does even cause issues on my Midiman MM401 card.

This game really is the ultimate MPU401 test 😀

Thing is MPU401 cards aren't getting cheaper. If you see one buy it. The SCC-1 comes with a MPU401 interface as well, so if you see this card just buy it.

In a few years these cards will cost a LOT more.

Reply 9 of 19, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

In a few years these cards will cost a LOT more.

Well, this certainly shouldn't be the case, in my opinion, but you can thank the guys who are in the business of buying things cheaply and then re-listing for exorbitant prices (oldschoolgamerusa/Menkau_ra) for helping to create that perception...

Reply 10 of 19, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RichB93 wrote:

Just wondering why would you want to connect it back into a soundblaster? Surely it would be better to mix the signals separately away from the card due to how damn hissy old soundblasters are? Maybe it's just me but with that much signal degradation I'd never pump sound back through to it 😜

It sounds fine to me and it's the easiest option. 😉

oldschoolgamerusa has a nice looking MIDIMAN listed currently for 200 USD. And there are some SCC-1's going for b/w 150 and 200USD, but they don't appear to have the relevant cables, etc. Paying big bucks for stuff takes the fun out of all IMO, so I'll make do with my Soundscape until something else turns up.

Thanks for the replies.

Reply 12 of 19, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are those MPU-401 cards over rated? I mean you could buy an SB32/AWE64 or a number of other cards that provide functional MPU-401 interface without the stupid price tag.

Reply 13 of 19, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dirkmirk wrote:

Are those MPU-401 cards over rated? I mean you could buy an SB32/AWE64 or a number of other cards that provide functional MPU-401 interface without the stupid price tag.

SoundBlaster MIDI ports aren't intelligent, they're just glorified serial ports.

Reply 14 of 19, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hook my MT-32 up to an Audigy 2 ZS via the joystick/game port. I've got the same wear marks around the volume knob as well! 😀 Gotta love Roland, though. I'll never go back to PC Speaker in the "Quest" series by Sierra again.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 15 of 19, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They do work, and they're great if you use DOSBox in Windows, but a real DOS machine needs an intelligent MPU401 interface. Some games absolutely require it, while some can be patched to use the SoundBlaster UART MIDI port.

Reply 16 of 19, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would there be any real advantage to using the strictly MPU401 card? I have a CT-3990 in my real Dos machine. (AWE32) I think I have some free ISA slots left, but I'd have to check. I may be using the "spare" with the Gravis Ultrasound. I haven't played around with real mode DOS on my Optiplex for a while as I've been gaming on Win98.

I need to print out a high quality sticker for that machine's case. IRQ Hell indeed! 😁 I think I'll call it that from now on.

“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi

Reply 17 of 19, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The only advantage is that games requiring a real MPU401 will work, where they simply won't work with SoundBlaster MIDI ports.

There are also some MPU401 clones, like the MidiMan MM401 or the Music Quest PC MIDI card.

There's no difference in the output though, so if you can patch the games to use the SoundBlaster MIDI port, they will sound identical.

Reply 18 of 19, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Gotcha, so there's no real difference in sound quality, even if one is an audiophile. (Not that I obsess over it, I just hate hanging notes and crackle on my headphones.) I'll have to experiment, see if there's a Dos game I have with broken sound in that setup. This may prove interesting. I probably shouldn't be loading any more cards in that with a stock power supply and a Pentium 233.

Reply 19 of 19, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmrydholm wrote:

Gotcha, so there's no real difference in sound quality, even if one is an audiophile. (Not that I obsess over it, I just hate hanging notes and crackle on my headphones.) I'll have to experiment, see if there's a Dos game I have with broken sound in that setup. This may prove interesting. I probably shouldn't be loading any more cards in that with a stock power supply and a Pentium 233.

Nope, no difference in sound quality - the interface between the sound card and MT32 is purely data, not audio.

As long as the soundcard transmits the correct data to the MT32, it will sound correct.... of course, that's where the non-MPU401 devices sometimes break down, as some games do require the additional functionality of a true MPU401 interface.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net