VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by digitaldrifter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys. I found this forum a week or so ago, which is weird since I've been on a hardcore retro PC fix for the past few months. I considered myself a retro 'guru', until I came here, that is. You guys are on a whole different level. I feel humbled! Anyways, here's a bit of my computing history.

The family got our first computer second hand back in 1993 or so. It was an Amstrad PC1512, bone stock. I was 12 at the time. I remember fiddling with stuff for a few days until I got Bad Street Brawler loaded up for the first time. It was awesome! The next year I started taking computer classes at school. They were all Mac's, but they had a direct link to the University, so it was my first exposure to the internet. That was pretty cool. In 9th grade I got my first real job, and I used most of my money for computer goodies. I bought a 128k ram card, a single density 3.5" drive, and a 20 meg hard drive for my Amstrad, and I thought I was a pimp. A whole 640k of ram, are you kidding me?!

That winter (95-96) I saved up and bought a Tandy 2500 SX/33 from a local Sheriff. Unfortunately, I also needed a monitor, so I put one on layaway at Radio Shack. By the spring I got finally got it, and while it was quite a bit more powerful, it didn't really feel like that big an upgrade. That was until I bought a sound blaster and a 2x CDROM for it. Wow, Blake Stone, Cyberia, Doom, with sound? That computer is what really got the party started. I only had 2mb of ram for it and couldn't run too much at first (namely Doom), but I did a two day internship at a local software firm, and one of the guys there GAVE me two 1mb 30 pin simms...

Shortly thereafter computers totally consumed my life. I bought an Acer 486 DX/2 50 (oc'd to 66) from that same computer friend if mine. That's when I could play even COOLER games, like Command and Conquer and Duke Nukem 3D. Something still felt missing though, and I wanted to get my hands dirty. Wait, they have a computer store at the mall, and they sell PARTS? So I can BUILD my OWN computer?! So there I go, my first computer build. I was a 16 year old on a budget, so I had to go cheap. I got a Jetway VXC mobo along with a Cyrix 6x86L 150+ (120mhz). I OC'd it to 133mhz (166+ I think) and even though it had a crappy FPU compared to a Pentium, it was light years faster than my 486. Destruction Derby, which was fairly choppy on the 486 ran smooth as butter on the Cyrix. Later I saw a 3DFX VOODOO card and HAD to get it.

I kept that system for a bit, until I fried my mobo experimenting with overclocking. Apparently Jetway put the clear CMOS jumper right next to the 3 pairs of pins which selected the bus speed. Closing the jumper and turning the power on fried my motherboard. Damn! Another friend of mine had a Jetway VXD motherboard lying around, with the caveat that the CMOS battery socket didn't work. I figured I'd upgrade the processor as well, so I went ahead and got the best value for the money at the time, a K6-233, to this day my favorite processor.

During this I had upgraded to Voodoo2 and played MW2:Mercs all the time. I had that AMD system jacked way up. At first I ran it at 75mhz bus speed, but at 225mhz to get the overall system running fast. I decided to gamble and found out that it had the hidden 83 mhz bus speed, and so I ran her up to 250mhz. Although it wasn't the fastest system at the time, I was definitely the quickest; I would ALWAYS be first to drop into a game, even against people running new dual PII's. I'm sure their frame rates were better, but none were as nimble.

The highlight of my adolescent computing experiences was when I worked for Second City Computers in Chicago for the summer of 98. This was at the height of the Socket 7 era, so this is what I remember the most. Unfortunately after that, I had several family upheavals and had to get rid of most of my stuff, and I got out of the computer scene for the most part.

Now that I'm financially stable I've been slowly working to get some computers together for some nostalgic computer gaming. There's nothing like doing it on original hardware, as troublesome as it is. This forum looks like it's a big help for people like me.

This has been VERY long winded; but before I go I figured I'll give everyone a rundown on my current and planned retro PC's:
Sony Viao, P166, 2.1gb hd, 128mb ram, Voodoo1
K6-2+ 550, 384mb ram, 40gb hd, dual mismatched Voodoo2's

I also have a line on a 486 class machine from a guy at work, and I have a NEW Evergreen 133 upgrade chip coming in the mail. I got it from Amazon and I think the guy has one left. It was just over $20 after shipping! I've also been keeping an eye out for another Tandy 2500 SX. I probably wouldn't use it too much if I get a 486 machine, but I think it'd be cool having the machine that got me going.

Ok, I'm finally done! Thanks, and I look forward to participating.

Digitaldrifter

Reply 1 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's awesome and you will fit right in 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

welcome to the board! you'll find it extremely hard to leave 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 8, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, welcome!

Now prepare for a lifetime of poorness, high eBay scores, waiting for the post man, and shuffling IRQ's 'til your eyeballs bleed. 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 7 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome!

SquallStrife wrote:

Now prepare for a lifetime of poorness, high eBay scores, waiting for the post man, and shuffling IRQ's 'til your eyeballs bleed. 😀

Yep, and beige will become your favourite colour...

Reply 8 of 8, by digitaldrifter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! I thought you all would be the type to enjoy a background story. Yes, I am totally consumed right now. A guy from work gave me one of his 'old' computers. I asked him if he had a 486; it ended up being a Dell PII, and when I cracked it open the CPU was unseated, had no ram or hard drive, and had several screws lodged under the riser card. Not good. I cleared them all out and plugged it in anyways to see what it'd do. As soon as I did the power supply started making this high pitched whine, and needless to say the power button didn't do a damn thing! It's almost like he just wanted to get rid of it but was too lazy to drop it off at Goodwill. 😒

Nemesis: Yes, I'm a big Tandy fan. My old 2500 was great, and I also have fond memories of a friend's Tandy 486. That was my intro to Doom II, and it was awesome. They are very very hard to find, though. I did bid on a BRAND NEW Tandy Sensation about a month ago, but it went over $100 and it was too rich for my blood. Maybe I should have gotten it anyways.

SquallStrife: too late. I've already been dealing with 'conflicts' with my Vaio. When I'd load Doom up it'd play for about 30 seconds then freeze. It took a while, but I realized it had something to do with the music part of whatever the hell crappy onboard sound is on there, and once that was disabled, everything was fine. I had a nice game of Warlords II on there last night. As for the E-bay issue... my wife is already giving me crap for that! I got an STB Voodoo II in the mail a few weeks ago. I was a little bummed when I noticed there was a loose barrel capacitor floating around in the packaging. Upon further inspection it looked like another one was missing. I tried it anyways, coupled with my old Diamond Monster II I bought brand new, and apart from a few weird palette issues in Quake II, it seems to work fine in SLI mode.

Right now I can't wait to get my Evergreen 133 in the mail, and I'm keeping an eye out on E-Bay for a good 486 machine. Damn shipping killing a mug.