VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone,

In one of the recent threads I posted photos of a Quantum3D Graphite I snagged off ebay. While it's not really an "Internet" computer for me, I would like to download updates, game patches etc. without running back and forth transferring from my modern, Win7 laptop. Is there any kind of basic, freeware antivirus that isn't resource intensive? I tried Avast, but it bogged down my system like crazy- dated hardware! Here are the Graphite's specs:

CPU: Pentium III 733MhZ
Ram:one slot of 128MB SDRAM 133 (should I add a little more? I have a spare somewhere)
DirectX: 8.1
Video: Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
Hard Drive: ~40GB IDE/PATA, unknown speed
Sound Card: integrated (current, soon to be Ensoniq PCI)

I'm going to put a faster/bigger 5400 RPM drive in it, but would a RAM and/or antivirus upgrade be worth anything? I just want basic protection so that in the event I have to go online with it, I'm not suddenly infected with...y'know, computer AIDS or anything like that. 🤣 😜

If I have to constantly use a USB or removable disk to transfer files, I suppose I can live with that too. I do appreciate any advice!

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 1 of 6, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which version of Avast did you try?

Avast 4.6 can be configured to use very little system resources, without any graphical interface skins, annoying popups, and things like that. I do think it needs a bit more memory than 128MB though.

Another option would be to just disable the on-access protection services and only enable them when you're on the web.

Reply 2 of 6, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ahh ok, I used the latest one! I'm pretty sure I can scrounge up a spare SDRAM, maybe 256-512MB would do it. I haven't had 128MB since Windows Millenium...hated that OS.

“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi

Reply 3 of 6, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

jwt27, thanks for the advice! I tried v4.5xxx-something tonight and that seems to be adequate for now. I think I'll check in my folks' house next time I take my wife over there. I'm sure I left a spare RAM in my mom's kitchen, so I'll see if that isn't dead.

How it got there, I'll never know...

Reply 4 of 6, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm sure ClamWin still runs on Win2000. It's not a realtime scanner, so it uses practically zero resources, and you just have to remember to "right click->scan" on files you think might be a bit suss.

That in mind, if you're only periodically downloading updates and stuff from reputable sites, you would be fine without any scanner at all.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 5 of 6, by markoldgamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I run W2K under Virtualbox on my AMD Phenom quad core system with 2GB ram allocated to W2K, and I also run W2K on a real AthlonXP 2000+ based system with 1GB and have the latest version of Avast loaded on both (v7) and they are both fine. The Athlon system feels a bit sluggish, but I think that's just me being spoiled by the speed of the Phenom and in reality it probably runs at about the same speed it did when it was my main PC a couple of years ago running Norton under WinXP. To be honest I think your main problem is that you don't really have enough RAM to cover everything you are running and adding another 128MB will make a big idfference. I also use Avast for my Win98 setup (again running under Virtuabox) and it works well. The last W98 compatible version is 4.8 and it looks as if Avast intend to keep support for that (in terms of database upates at least) for some time to come. That is one of the advantages of their policy of getting users to renew their free license anually. They know how many users still run the old version under W98!

Reply 6 of 6, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

I'm sure ClamWin still runs on Win2000. It's not a realtime scanner, so it uses practically zero resources, and you just have to remember to "right click->scan" on files you think might be a bit suss.

That in mind, if you're only periodically downloading updates and stuff from reputable sites, you would be fine without any scanner at all.

I also recommend Clamwin for the Win 2K machine as well.

No matter where you go, there you are...