VOGONS

Common searches

Ultima IV

Topic actions

First post, by Kithikor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

(If I have posted in the wrong area, my apologies)
Hello.
I am able to play Ultima I through DOSBox on my Vista machine just fine. I wanted to see what the gameplay was like with Ultima IV. I installed that game. I got through the part with the gypsy asking me my sign and the game pops up "No party formed" and reloads the title screen.

Can someone tell me what am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance.

Reply 2 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Make sure the u4 files are not set to read only, so don't mount the CD Rom or when you copied it from the CD check the file attributes.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 7, by Kithikor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool! That worked!
Odd though. Since I was unsure of which files to change, I changed the whole folder. I removed the Read Only attribute. I then checked the attributes from Ultima I folder, expecting them to be off, but they are Read Only. Both games run fine and save fine. Go figure!

Thank you again. (Summer break... Ultima I-VIII bound)

Reply 5 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Probably the save game needs to be created and when the whole folder is read only the game can't write it. Glad it's working now 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 7, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kithikor wrote:

Cool! That worked!
Odd though. Since I was unsure of which files to change, I changed the whole folder. I removed the Read Only attribute. I then checked the attributes from Ultima I folder, expecting them to be off, but they are Read Only. Both games run fine and save fine. Go figure!

Thank you again. (Summer break... Ultima I-VIII bound)

Lemme guess: it's Ultima Collection, isn't it? And you manually copied the files from the CD, didn't you?

Got similar problems the first time I bought UC, and it's caused by Read Only attribute.

Reply 7 of 7, by Kithikor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lemme guess: it's Ultima Collection, isn't it? And you manually copied the files from the CD, didn't you?

Uhhhh....I must have copied the files over because I only have 1-4 installed for now. 😦 Must of had some install problem too or the fact that I installed it from my laptop to my netbook over the home network (no cd player in netbook)