The ultimate Ultima 7 machine

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 166, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

Honestly, that's how some old games are, either get used to them or don't play them 😢 .

Or play the modified version that runs on modern systems that fixes the annoying problems

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 102 of 166, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

I think it plays quite ok, I don't really mind the scrolling, although I can maybe see why it would bother some people too much.
Anyone care to do a 486DX/40 or DX2/40?
Honestly, that's how some old games are, either get used to them or don't play them 😢 .

I did a 486DX 40 run and it was identical to a 486DX2 40. Videos are uploading slowly. Patience 😀

486DX2 40 is what I found best. Or 486DX2 50 with an average ISA card. But then I haven't played the game and don't know if there are any possible issues.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 103 of 166, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

Still doesn't fix the scrolling. It's just how it is!

no, if you expect 60fps console-like scrolling it doesn't fix it... but (unfortunately) it's miles better than the original 😢

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 104 of 166, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

Exult also has horrible scrolling 😉
The game just works this way...

And anyway, I can't really tell that much of a difference between Exult and the game running on a DX-33. Also, I'm not expecting 60fps console-like scrolling, I was actually answering to people like you who say it is not good enough on a relatively slow 486. I personally don't mind how the game scrolls like I said earlier, it is something you get accustomed too after a while.
Also, why "unfortunately" ?

Reply 105 of 166, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

exult's scrolling and general speed of the game is way better balanced/timed than the original , at least that's how I perceived it compared to the 386/486 builds I've tried. It's not perfect YES, but compared to the original it's better.
And "unfortunately" because personally I'd prefer the game to run better on a real old/dos machine rather than a 3rd party engine for new systems...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 106 of 166, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ultima 7 on a PCI 486DX 33 MHz with Sound Blaster Pro 2 and Roland MT-32

My YouTube channel

Reply 107 of 166, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ultima 7 on a PCI 486DX2 40 MHz with Sound Blaster Pro 2 and Roland MT-32

My YouTube channel

Reply 111 of 166, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ih8registrations wrote:

Is 50 or 66 MHz too fast?

This is pretty much when the games becomes too fast.

Ultima 7 on a PCI 486DX2 50 MHz with Sound Blaster Pro 2 and Roland MT-32

Ultima 7 on a PCI 486DX2 66 MHz with Sound Blaster 2 and Roland MT-32

My YouTube channel

Reply 112 of 166, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

I think it plays quite ok, I don't really mind the scrolling, although I can maybe see why it would bother some people too much.
Anyone care to do a 486DX/40 or DX2/40?

I did a 486DX 40 run and it was identical to a 486DX2 40. Videos are uploading slowly. Patience 😀

486DX2 40 is what I found best. Or 486DX2 50 with an average ISA card. But then I haven't played the game and don't know if there are any possible issues.

Running a DX40 on a 40mhz bus isn't faster than a DX2 running at 40mhz on a 20mhz bus? That seems strange to me.

Reply 113 of 166, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Running a DX40 on a 40mhz bus isn't faster than a DX2 running at 40mhz on a 20mhz bus? That seems strange to me.

It is what it is...

At least in terms of 3dbench, pcpbench and Ultima7. Note that there is a different dividier happening with 40 MHz bus.

Intel knew what they were doing I guess.

I consider both solutions a bit "outside the scope" and recommend going with a 486DX2 50 MHz and an average ISA graphics card like a Trident.

I kept the screenshots when testing it at 40 MHz bus:

E8Qr1yw.jpg

IQPpO4G.jpg

IEi9ian.jpg

BF5Q8cr.jpg

Doom is a tiny bit faster with 21.61 fps vs. 21.18 for the DX2 40.

My YouTube channel

Reply 114 of 166, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

heres a quick video of what happens when I use a Tseng 4000 ISA card in my Ultima 7 machine. sorry, I was to lazy to hook sound up so the video is silent and taken with my digital camera. notice the "static" that happens mostly at the top of the screen. its most noticeable at the black title screen. This issue does NOT happen when I'm using another video card like my ISA speedster pro based on the Cirrus Logic chip. I have tried a second separate T4000 card and get the same issues. Reading through this post I may bump up my CPU from 33mhz to a 40mhz to make up for the lack of VLB card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNPSIzJ_jpQ&feature=youtu.be

that snoring noise in the background is the dog.

Reply 115 of 166, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea I can see the static. Odd. Tried other slots? Different VGA cable?

My YouTube channel

Reply 116 of 166, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To fix the issue with an ISA card I had some success messing round with the ISA clock speed in the BIOS. Yours should default to 4 in a 33 MHz machine but try changing it to 5 or 6 and see if that helps. This does result in slightly lower scores in 3Dbench but if it fixes the issue then I deem it worth it, just so you can get the great image quality of the Tseng card.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 117 of 166, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

To fix the issue with an ISA card I had some success messing round with the ISA clock speed in the BIOS. Yours should default to 4 in a 33 MHz machine but try changing it to 5 or 6 and see if that helps. This does result in slightly lower scores in 3Dbench but if it fixes the issue then I deem it worth it, just so you can get the great image quality of the Tseng card.

unfortunately its a Packard bell and the Bios is rather limited. I'll check but i don't recall seeing any options to adjust ISA clock speed.

Reply 118 of 166, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wing Commander and Ultima 7 both suffer in terms of gameplay because there is no ideal speed. If you watch Mau1wurf1977's videos, you might think slower is ideal. However, they only cover the beginnings of both games. When you start fighting in a crowded space in WC or a crowded dungeon in U7, then the speed achieved by the 386DX25 and 486DX33 no longer seems so perfect. I'm sure anyone can list a dozen other non-Origin games that suffer from the same problem, but how many are as good overall?

Does the Win9x patch for Ultima VII impose any kind of sane speed limits on these games?

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 119 of 166, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No, it just makes it work 😉
At least they fixed it somewhat with Ultima 7 Part 2...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper