VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Please note that my posts about this game contain spoilers, such as screenshots and general hints.

I've just started playing it, and decided to ignore the advice given by Ria Silmane about heading to the initial dungeon's exit quickly, and instead to explore the whole of it. (See pic). It seems like a good strategy. It isn't too difficult if you rest a lot, and there's plenty of places to do that.

By doing this, you can collect some decent loot along the way, which you can sell in the first town that you enter after exiting the dungeon. And with that extra cash in hand, you can buy some good spells, if your character can cast them.

Attachments

• acd_000b.png
    Filename
    acd_000b.png
    File size
    60.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by retro games 100 on 2012-08-28, 11:59. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 23, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I really enjoyed playing this game. I was going at it one time with intent to see it through. However, I got caught up in a quest to get some wand or something and got stuck poisoned in a dungeon. So whenever I try to fast travel out of there (the only way to leave), I'd die during the journey. I kept looking around the dungeon hoping to find a poison cure somewhere but I never did. Gave up after that. Need to get back at it.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 2 of 23, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's very similar to what happened to this guy. I think he got diseased in both Stonekeep and Fang Lair. Luckily, when leaving Stonekeep, he made it back to town alive. However later, I think he had to redo Fang Lair, because he wasn't so fortunate..

Reply 3 of 23, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fang Lair! That was the place, actually!

My Github

Reply 4 of 23, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I need to try this! I've got Daggerfall, Oblivion, and Skyrim. (Still need Morrowind. Maybe I'll grab it on Steam tonight.) Daggerfall is pretty cool.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 5 of 23, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've restarted the game, and changed my race and class to a dark elf spellsword from Morrowind. That should make things a little easier. In previous attempts, I was struggling as a mage, with only a staff to defend myself. I'm looking forward to wandering around in Fang Lair (with a couple of cure poison potions bought from the mage's guild.)

BTW, I couldn't see Arena on the steam website. However, you might find the Arena wiki pages enlightening, including their files page.

Reply 6 of 23, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Arena's not on Steam. Neither is Daggerfall, both of them being free.

My Github

Reply 9 of 23, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I managed to survive Fang Lair, and get the first piece of the staff of chaos. A note of caution: I've noticed that there's something wrong with the mapping feature. If you add annotations to it, they disappear later. This is very frustrating, as you can't effectively label anything. At least that's what happened to me, with the CD version 1.07. I tried using very short descriptions for everything, but that didn't solve this problem.

Reply 10 of 23, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Huh. I don't remember having that problem. Then again, I remember using the feature, however I don't remember if I used it all that much.

My Github

Reply 11 of 23, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The person I mentioned earlier in this thread doing a "lets play" of this game on youtube mentions it.

Another bug I discovered is when leaving stuff for repair with a smithy. When you return to collect it, it's not there. This glitch is mentioned in the Arena wiki page. This is frustrating, because I was using smithies to store my items, for sale later. I wasn't too sure which items to keep, and which items to sell, so I thought I'd just leave them for repair until I made up my mind.

I'm currently in the fortress of ice. Anyone know what the best strategy is against ice golems?

Reply 12 of 23, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

Aaarrggghhh.....you guys tempted me! I'm also starting this game again....

(I was busy with emulation.)

How's it going? 😀 I think I'm getting the hang of this game. I have cheated however. Well not too seriously.

1) I used this webpage (Arena Wiki) to find the location of some useful weapons.
2) And I used this webpage (Elder scrolls Wikia) to solve some of the game's riddles.

However, I haven't cheated in terms of adding any gold pieces or any other items to my inventory, and I haven't altered any of my game character's statistics.

Onwards...

Attachments

• staff3.png
    Filename
    staff3.png
    File size
    144.13 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 13 of 23, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Please note that my posts about this game contain spoilers, such as screenshots and general hints.

I've managed to get the fourth piece of the staff of chaos. It was located in the Halls of Colossus, which I found quite easy. I think I've worked out how to successfully play this game. What you need is plenty of money - or rather gold pieces. Once you have enough GP, you can buy the right equipment - being weapons and spells. And you can pick up many other useful items along the way if you meticulously work your way through all areas of each dungeon you explore. That's the other important thing to do - thorough exploration will give you items you can use, and also items to sell when you return back to a town.

I found that one of the best "basic" spells to use is Invisibility. It's good because some of the enemies can be quite tough - for instance trolls, various golems, and even monks! IMO, it's not worth wasting your health and the condition of your weapons and armour on them. They don't yield much loot. I've found that it's easier just to avoid them.

Attachments

• halls.png
    Filename
    halls.png
    File size
    124.54 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 14 of 23, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

The person I mentioned earlier in this thread doing a "lets play" of this game on youtube mentions it.

Another bug I discovered is when leaving stuff for repair with a smithy. When you return to collect it, it's not there. This glitch is mentioned in the Arena wiki page. This is frustrating, because I was using smithies to store my items, for sale later. I wasn't too sure which items to keep, and which items to sell, so I thought I'd just leave them for repair until I made up my mind.

I'm currently in the fortress of ice. Anyone know what the best strategy is against ice golems?

Were any patches ever released to fix the bugs? I would think that would be something that would have been caught not long after the game was released and fixed.

If there's no patch to fix the disappearing items bug, then I wouldn't consider it cheating if you were to edit your inventory to give you those items back when you are ready to sell them since you did earn them legitimately.

Reply 15 of 23, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AFAIK, the game can be upgraded to version 1.07 using the official patch, and no other version (official or otherwise) supercedes it. I am vaguely aware that Bethesda's games are considered to be somewhat buggy.

I see what you are saying about the "inventory edit" suggestion. However, I now have over 100K's worth of legitimately* collected GP, alongside an arsenal of top quality weapons and armour related items, and so I don't require any further assistance in this regard.

*If you consider killing anything that moves and stealing from their mangled corpses "legitimate". 😉

Reply 16 of 23, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm about to venture forth in to the bastion of sorcery! I read in this Arena wiki page, under the Spellmaking recommendations section at the bottom of that page that "[one of] the most powerful effects is Spell Reflection [which will] kill any spell-casting monster, even fire daemons." With that in mind, I've prepared my own home-brewed spell reflector using the spellmaking equipment at a local mage's guild. I hope it's powerful enough..

Attachments

• Crystal Tower.png
    Filename
    Crystal Tower.png
    File size
    144.34 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 17 of 23, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm currently searching for the sixth piece of the staff of chaos. A mage (from I forget where) has asked me to retrieve some artifact for him, located in the Mines of Khuras. I thought I'd "glue its map together" as a screenshot, to show you the size. That tiny yellow arrow roughly in the middle, where the blue dot is, is my current location. And that blue dot represents a ladder down to level 2..

When I was wandering about in these mines, I noticed messages scratched on to the walls. I've marked them as "m", just in case they mean something, and I need to return to them to re-read them.

Attachments

• MinesMap.png
    Filename
    MinesMap.png
    File size
    413.77 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 18 of 23, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've just discovered something else with the game's mapping system. If you walk up to any "trade door" in any town (such as a store, temple, inn, etc) and right click on it, not only does it tell you what the name of the building is (eg Discount supply store), it automatically labels your map with this name too.

I have yet to discover if these "automatic labels" disappear over time..

Reply 19 of 23, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Contains spoilers.

I've managed to complete the game. It's good, but its overall design is flawed. IMHO, it feels too much like a slog. I hope to play Daggerfall next, but I'm worried it might be even longer, bigger, and ultimately just another slog..

Going after piece 6 of 8 of the staff of chaos:
hearts.png

The dullest of the game's levels:
murkwood.png

Going after piece 8. Contains exciting battles with Liches, and also the final boss fight. This is where you need to understand how the spellmaker system works. It's useful having the ability to paralyse your opponents, and to reflect your opponents spells, and also I wonder if it's worth investing in a "sanctuary spell" too...
dagoth-ur.png

Boss fight. Once he's taken too much damage, he cacoons himself so you can't finish him off.
jag.PNG

But you can win by unlocking a door and getting a jewel. Once that's done, the boss burns up and dies.
king.png

Game over.
champ.png

9.9 million experience points.
stats.PNG