VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 23, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Daggerfall is many times better than Arena. Yeah, it's full of bugs and many of the game events are based on the game's internal clock, but there's a lot more stuff to do outside of the main quest, plus the main quest has multiple endings, though they mostly hinge on a decision you make near the end, though some of the options towards that decision will also depend on things you did along the way.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 21 of 23, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I started Daggerfall a couple of days ago. I really like it, but I don't like the mapping system when you are in a dungeon. It's a pity they didn't implement a wire frame model, like in Descent. I'm completely lost inside a place called Copperton Tower.

(Thinking out loud) I'm not sure what to do at this point. I find the map unuseable, so do I cheat and end this quest early?

Reply 22 of 23, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found the trick with daggerfall's dungeons was to stick to one wall - either left or right - and just keep following it. Go through every door on that side, just stick to the one wall. If you get lost you can just turn around and follow the same wall back the way you came.

Sometimes there are 'secret' doors that are the same colour/texture as surrounding walls so can be very hard to spot, and you can still get lost when this happens.

Some of daggerfall's procedurally generated dungeons are REALLY confusing. I often fell through the game geometry into the 'void' and had to reload a save. Also make sure you have a copy of the FIXSAVE utility because you will need it before finishing the game.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 23 of 23, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've just realised what the problem is. The "Copperton Tower" quest is a 3rd party add on quest. It is a large and difficult dungeon, and unfairly offered to the player too early in the game. I've only just started the game, and in this dungeon I've had to fight dozens of werewolfs, and also the boss fight is against a level 19 vampire.

I'm going to have to reinstall the game, but make sure no 3rd party quests are installed. However, I will include the 16 extra quests supplied by Bethesda.