is a 486 really worth it

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Yea and eBay doesn't make it easy with most (non professional) sellers not naming them "socket 7 or super socket 7 board" but ju […]
Show full quote

Yea and eBay doesn't make it easy with most (non professional) sellers not naming them "socket 7 or super socket 7 board" but just generic descriptions. So if you want a bargain you need to invest plenty of time. Those who name them correctly know about their value and it's usually a "buy now" auction for a lot more cash.

Plus postage is usually ~ $20 per board making it quite expensive.

Want a cheap 486 board from Australia:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/486-Motherboard-/2 … =item35be0f2d2f

That looks like a PC Chips board. It does have the cache stick, though.

Reply 21 of 30, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's the board being discussed in this thread:

What's this 486 freak show worth?

Note that the keyboard I bought from that bloke is broken - he's digging this stuff out of his shed and not testing it.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 22 of 30, by Keatah

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got a a nicely kept 486DX2-50 from Gateway 2000.
256k cache
212MB WD Caviar disk
345MB WD Caviar disk
1.6GB WD Caviar disk
8MB on board
8MB on custom expansion slot card
5.25 and 3.5 drives
Parallel, 2x serial, floppy and ide interface
Secondary ide card
STB Evolution 1MB 16.7 16 bit cirrus logic based video card
Soundblaster 16 with ASP chip and waveblaster daughtercard
Creative 1x CD rom
Practical Peripherals 14.4 internal modem
Secondary Parallel port
Desktop case
Iomega Zip disk with 10 disks
HP 560 deskjet & Epson MX-80
Snappy video digitizer
CH flightstick 2 axis
Micronics gemini baby-at mobo
Small cpu fan
Weitek co-processor (but not installed)
Extra game port card (not installed)
complete documentation and advert brochures for system and all parts
CrystalScan monitor (in-op, definitely needs recapping, but otherwise fine)
AnyKey 124 programmable keyboard
Win 3.1 and Dos 6.22 manuals and disks.

I'm not sure if it's a keeper or a junker. For now I'm jamming dosbox on a modern system. I had gotten this 486 after I trashed all my amiga stuff. The amiga was nothing but a nightmare (to me).

And prior to the amiga I had (still have) a ton of apple II stuff which is most definitely a keeper.

I'm just unsure about the 486. If I could get my parallel port zip disk working on my modern day laptop I'd be a happy camper.

Reply 23 of 30, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had gotten this 486 after I trashed all my amiga stuff.

Did i really just read "Trashed" and "Amiga" next to each other in the same sentence? 😳

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 24 of 30, by Keatah

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry yes. I found the amiga beyond frustrating. So full of promises of all sorts of cool games that never really made it out. Perhaps it was my locale. Or maybe my expectations were off base.

I had the digiview digitizer and it was just terrible. mm-mughh...

After doing a stint with the A1000 and A500. I went back to using my Apple //e and "regrouped". Eventually settling in to the PC ecosphere with the 486 I described above.

Reply 25 of 30, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Keatah wrote:

Sorry yes. I found the amiga beyond frustrating. So full of promises of all sorts of cool games that never really made it out. Perhaps it was my locale. Or maybe my expectations were off base.

I had the digiview digitizer and it was just terrible. mm-mughh...

After doing a stint with the A1000 and A500. I went back to using my Apple //e and "regrouped". Eventually settling in to the PC ecosphere with the 486 I described above.

You could have sold off those two machines for a healthy heap of change but that 486 you better hang onto it even if you decide that you hate it as well. Those 486 machines that are complete and in working order are getting to be rare as well expensive. I've seen machines with less installed goodies selling for as much as $300 on eBay.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 26 of 30, by Keatah

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's good to know the 486 (especially ones in good shape) are worth something. Perhaps more later! Currently I'm keeping it for sentimental value mostly.

It would be cool to make it old-school word processor again. That's what I originally got it for. I'll post pics soon enuf.

Reply 27 of 30, by Keatah

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This 486DX2-50 was originally bought to expand upon the stuff I learned and did with the Apple II+ and //e.

I had a II+ and //e (still do) for the longest time since 1979 or so. And then when the amiga came around I was blown away by digiview and the artistic capabilities. It soon became apparent I didn't mix too well with the 1000 and shortly later the 500. I just couldn't get a grasp on the machine like I did the Apple 2 series. And it took too long to do anything with all the swapping floppies and stuff.

In 1992 I got the 486, and took to it like a second skin. Played Doom, Raptor, ChessMaster 4000, NanoTank, All the good stuff. And of course MS-Word! Yes!

And from there I went to a P90, P2-266, and further on up as the PC evolved. Slowing down the rate of upgrades over the past 10 years.

Reply 28 of 30, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe the Apple was really strong in the US. In Europe (especially Germany and Australia) the C64 and were very very successful. In my schools it was all PCs though. I have never seen an Apple machine in the schools I went to.

One school we had IBM PS/2 machines. I believe with a 386SX 16MHz CPU and I remember we learnt something about spreadsheets and word processing and we also played quite a few games like zany golf and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

And then my first own PC was a 386DX-33 and I was so proud of it. This was coming from a C-64 (never had an Amiga) and it was a huge upgrade.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 29 of 30, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We got a Apple IIe as dad was a teacher in N.S.W and he wanted the same as what was in the schools.
TAFE on the otherhand had Apricot's
What was it about 80's computers and fruit?

by the time I reached high school in 93 there was still 1 mac lab at both high schools but were replaced with PC's before the end of the year.

Reply 30 of 30, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember back in kindergarten and first grade how the school that I went to had almost all macs for most classrooms at the lower grade levels but further up it was a mix of old 386 and 486 machines as well some macs. They held onto the macs for another half decade before dumping them. Wished that I had known more about computers back then. Would have been a nice score on those old pcs.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.