rude awakening => DVD drives

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ncmark wrote:

I just got a SECOND rude awakening trying to get some more DDR RAM for this Athlon box. Forget about getting it in the brick and mortar stores - all they have now is DDR2 and DDR3. It also seems to be very hard to find online. 😢

That has been a problem for the past few years now but you can get lucky once and a while. If nothing in stores or online start hitting the yard sales and dumpsters for old p4 rigs. They almost always have ddr ram installed. Its the 1gb ddr 400 pc3200 sticks that are hell to get.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 23 of 27, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't seen a slot-loading drive in a long time. Do they still make them?

SquallStrife wrote:

I wonder if you could modify the Wii optical drive to work in a PC.. It's slot-loading AND reads GameCube disks.

I reckon a lot of the magic is in the hardware controller (much as it is with floppy drives).

Reply 24 of 27, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

I haven't seen a slot-loading drive in a long time. Do they still make them?

as 2011, they still made 'em.
http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/pc-manufac … drives-2011063/

slot-loading mechanism was newer than tray-loading which already began since early cd-rom drives.

iirc those slot-loading drives being advertised as: less 'scratcy risk' than tray-loaded one,
though i'm not sure if that claims were true or not.

BUT, I do remember of disc jamming experiences on slot-loading drive!

-fffuuu

Reply 26 of 27, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm hunting for some 128-pin SDRAM for my Quantum3d box. I've given thought to turning it into a small home server, just to see if I could.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 27 of 27, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hope you're planning to run just win2k or NT4 as the server... anything using plan SDRAM is going to be sloooow

but like I said... look on ebay
I just got some elpida DDR and DDR2 SODIMM RAM off ebay for both my newer and older laptops.... all passed memtest86 with flying colors!