First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Plan to make some videos and post them on Youtube. First out is:

Indycar Racing II - SVGA software & Rendition Speedy3D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV3DRebD38g&feature=youtu.be

I've also made a video of the 1-track version of Ultim@te Race which lacks filtering.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJKradGC9ao&feature=youtu.be

Please view in 720p as these videos requires high quality to see the visual differences.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1 of 6, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Next episode is out: SODA Off-road Racing - DirectDraw vs Rendition Redline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K_Ox3Shixk&feature=youtu.be

Whiplash/Fatal Racing will probably be next.

Reply 2 of 6, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Episode 3: Whiplash / Fatal Racing

http://youtu.be/wdhPe5max4E

API's in this episode:
3DFX Glide (static)
Rendition Speedy3D (static)
S3 Virge S3D
SVGA Software

Cards used:
Orchid Righteous Voodoo 1 4MB
Diamond Stealth S220 V2100@V2200 4MB
EON S3 Virge DX 4MB

This episode was alot of work! I had so much problems capturing this footage and trying to get around all of the quirks with all the different versions. Worst off was the rendition version which runs the menus at 60hz and the game at 75hz, which the capture card did not like. Utility programs (renutil and ssutil) to lock the hz at 60 only affect the menu and not the game itself, so they were useless. The rendition version is also the only one that have texture filtering in the menus. So I ended up only getting a 533x400 picture on my main computer which I then captured with Fraps. It works, but the Rendition version looks better when you see it live. Other than that, this version support replays, but the UI is missing, so you are stuck to the hotkeys given in the manual. It is probably the best looking version. You get full 640x480 picture, texture filtering in both game and menus along with replay support and normal race UI.

S3D version looks like it's running at a lower resolution and is then scaled to 640x480. It has no graphical enhancements, but seems to run at a higher FPS than the others (notice how fast "Whiplash" is flashing). This makes it easier to drive in the races. Does not support replays.

The SVGA software version only runs at 640x400, but picture output is at 640x480, thus giving black bars up and down on the screen. Otherwise the colors in the SVGA version are the best, it is also has the sharpest image. It is pretty clear that this game was made for software mode and that the 3D accelerated versions only was an afterthought.

The 3DFX version has the colors all washed out. It looks too "clean". Also it has a very small UI when driving which is quite hopeless. Does not support replays. 640x480 can be activated by writing /fx480 after the executable, otherwise it runs at 640x400. There are no differences in the 3DFX patches between Whiplash and Fatal Racing.

CGL mode is not tested as I do not have a Creative 3D Blaster PCI card, but from what I've read it runs and looks exactly the same as software mode.

Next episode will be something easy to capture and edit 😀 I'm thinking of Havoc S3D/software. Suggestions are welcome.

Reply 4 of 6, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

The 3DFX version has the colors all washed out. It looks too "clean".

Probably the 3dfx gamma setting is too high, either game sets it or default value is too high for this game so it looks bad.

Reply 5 of 6, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Miki Maus wrote:
vetz wrote:

The 3DFX version has the colors all washed out. It looks too "clean".

Probably the 3dfx gamma setting is too high, either game sets it or default value is too high for this game so it looks bad.

The game is statically linked to the Voodoo card, so changing anything via the normal route is out of the question. I've tried with using SET SST_GAMMA=1.3 (default is 1.7) and there is no difference. There is also no option in the graphic settings ingame to change the brightness.

I also tested the 3DFX version on different two computers, and it looked the same. The other computer runs with Creative Voodoo2.

EDIT: After some more research and testing I found out that using:
set SST_SCREENREFRESH=60 along with
set SST_GAMMA=1.0 gives a darker picture which looks a bit better. The blurriness does not go away though.

Reply 6 of 6, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Episode 4: Virtua Cop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H-gEKsd5SY

API's in this episode:
Nvidia NV1
DirectDraw Software

One of the few accelerated games that look worse compared to software mode.

Taking suggestions for future episodes 😀

(I know I have to do Quake, Tomb Raider and Mechwarrior at some point, but those games are alot of work 😉 )