VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I posted a thread a while back about the internet becoming intolerable trying to run Winodws 98....

I had PC Linux running on a P3-1000 MHz, but it was s-l-o-w.

That has been moved to an Athlon XP2400..... much better. The board also has USB 2.0, which opens the door to external drives (win98 would recognize the USB ports no problem, but I could never get external drives to work reliably).

Hard to believe - after a long hiatus from the internet at home, in 4 years I have gone from an old pentium-3/500, to a pentium-3/1000, and now to an Athlon (I know, and STILL way behind the times)..............

Reply 1 of 12, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you need a light weight linux distribution, light weight distribution are meant to be run on old hardware like p3 1ghz. I ran windows 7 on an old Barton core with 1 or 2 gb of ram and it ran aero and flash (in web browser) all at the same time and smoother than a babies bottom.

Reply 3 of 12, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a p4 2.66 that i use for various stuff, mostly stereo recordings.
Its running WinXP, is very stable and can do surfing and browsing on today's internet very smoothly. I intend to do some video capture with it too.
Honestly I think it can still do pretty much all of what the non gamer average user do with their computer.

Best thing is i found it on the sidewalk outside. Fast P4/Athlon XP is what you find on the sidewalk these days. People just throw away these things, at least around where i live. No need to buy computers anymore 🤣

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 4 of 12, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All this is what I used to say about windows 98. Two things are finally killing that... (1) unable to run a modern web browser, and (2) unable to use USB drives....

I should use a third thing... (3) unable to use larger drives....the 40-gigabyte drives I have been using are becoming inadequate

Reply 5 of 12, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ncmark wrote:

All this is what I used to say about windows 98. Two things are finally killing that... (1) unable to run a modern web browser, and (2) unable to use USB drives....

I should use a third thing... (3) unable to use larger drives....the 40-gigabyte drives I have been using are becoming inadequate

KernelEx allows a more modern web browser to run under Windows 98 and the size of the hard drive you can use is dependent on the hard drive controller and BIOS on your motherboard. If you can't use more than a 40gig hard drive, it's the fault of your motherboard and not Windows 98. You may need to do a BIOS flash to the latest one for your motherboard or get a more modern hard drive controller mounted on an expansion card to use larger drives.

Reply 6 of 12, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

oh no, the bios is fine, the problem is windws 98. I have successfully used an 80-gigabyte drive in one drive, but fdisk reported garbage numbers. I think you can actually go as high as 120 with a patched fdisk. I just *like* those old ST340016 drives. I solved the problem in one machine simply by using dual disks....

Reply 7 of 12, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ncmark wrote:

(2) unable to use USB drives....

I guess it depends on what you use a USB drive for but one solution for older systems is to use a network drive. I have a 1 TB network drive and i can even access it on my 486 running win 3.1.

oh no, the bios is fine, the problem is windws 98. I have successfully used an 80-gigabyte drive in one drive, but fdisk reported garbage numbers. I think you can actually go as high as 120 with a patched fdisk. I just *like* those old ST340016 drives. I solved the problem in one machine simply by using dual disks....

About the drive size issue, im not sure what is going here, are you using Partitions and drives interchangeably? You may be referring to the FAT32 maximum partition size limit.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 8 of 12, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess ya got me there - I COULD partition a larger drive (but I don't like multiple partitions)

Also - like I said, I just plain like those old st340016A drives. Some of them I have had for 10 years and they are still going. I had two western digital drives that each died within a year. I had an 80-gig seagate (granted I got it used) that started making chirping noises and eventually had to be tossed.

I have entertained the idea of setting up a network storage computer - simply load it up with about 4-8 hard drives (or perhaps do the same with DVD-ROMs). But that is a hassle - and if you have to use a *computer* to do it you might as well make that your main computer.....

Reply 9 of 12, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1.- KernelEx could help you.
2.- There are generic USB mass storage device drivers that can be used in Windows 98 or 98SE, but remember that Windows 98 only supports FAT --> http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php
3.- Try to not use Windows 98 fdisk. Try using any Linux fdisk, like parted, or use Acronis Disk Director to make partitions and format it. Then, install Windows 98 in those partitions.

For an Athlon XP2400 you could use almost any modern Linux distro. If you don't have time to spare, try Puppy Linux (you can ran it from USB flash memory); if you can spend some time try installing a "naked" Debian and then installing LXDE, midori, iceweasel and any other programs.

Also, a stripped down Linux distro can run in a 4 Gb partition... with more than 1Gb of free space. You could use a dual boot setup in that computer without problems.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 11 of 12, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried unofficial service packs for win 98? Some come with decent usb support but personally haven't gone through much testing yet.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 12 of 12, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use NUSB33.EXE on my Toshiba Satellite 4010CDT with Windows 98 (actually NUSB33ES.EXE since it's the Spanish version of W98 ) and it works flawlessly with all of my thumbdrives and external drives (FAT/FAT32) just like a real Win2k/XP would. This laptop serves as my portable ambassador between modern/vintage PC generations. 😁

http://133FSB.wordpress.com